PDA

View Full Version : What kind of bras do you like?

Just Lisa
08-04-2009, 16:07
Bras are the last item on my clothing list to experiment with before I head out on my thru hike next March. What kind of bras do you like? Brands? I am on the small side..34B is most bras, 34C in others.

Lisa

Erin
08-05-2009, 01:31
Lisa, support and wicking. Your size is available at Target. You want something that will be comfortable but be easily wash and air dry. A wickable sport bra should work for your size.

ShelterLeopard
08-05-2009, 01:36
Most of the time I don't wear them while hiking- it depends on whether or not I think I'll be sweating a lot, mostly.

modiyooch
08-05-2009, 09:38
under armour sports bra keeps me dry.

Blissful
08-05-2009, 22:05
under armour sports bra keeps me dry.

I've got an Under Armor one for sale if anyone is interested. Size Large, baby blue color, wicks. Worn once. PM me for details.

Gecko
08-10-2009, 01:03
Under armor sports bras are the best I have discovered - comfortable but supportive, and really cool and wicking. They also come in great colors. They are extremely comfortable.

Just Lisa
08-10-2009, 10:20
thanks everyone!! Looks like Under Armour is pretty popular.

Lisa

Marta
08-10-2009, 11:55
I like the more minimal Patagonia bras. That said, a white or light-colored bra will get impossibly grey and nasty-looking well before it wears out. I now go for black or dark-colored bras.

LaurieAnn
08-11-2009, 09:27
I'm a bigger girl at DD and I tend to go with full support beige colored bras that are made of wicking type fabric. I also take 2 bras and wash them every few days with campsuds. An old fashioned diaper pin with the locking cap helps keep it fastened to my pack so it can dry while I hike.

spindle
08-11-2009, 09:33
Techwick, Under Armour, and cheap Danskin.

Go with one that has coverage you are comfortable with. There will be days when you are hiking in just that and shorts.

BarFight
08-14-2009, 18:40
Wore all Columbia's last year. Nicest synthetic I've ever owned was a trilogy bra from Title Nine (http://www.titlenine.com), but they aren't available in C-D sizes anymore.

Red Hat
08-15-2009, 15:59
I prefer an almost nothing bra like "Barely There". Not a lot of support, but no chafing like I get with Under Armour. Mostly gives a little coverage under my tshirt.

llano
08-15-2009, 21:11
I agree with Red Hat and wear the "Barely There" brand. If you don't need a lot of support and don't really like wearing bras in the first place its a good choice.

olla86
08-20-2009, 10:04
I like colored bras,not brands but of good quality;)

bumpass
09-11-2009, 13:52
Moving Comfort: Fiona I believe. 34D
If colored, it doubles as a swim top. ;)

Connie
09-23-2009, 18:46
Good thread, brand and fabric information.

I am B or C.

For modesty, I wear a thick fabric camisole. I am looking for heavy silk sateen.

Kick me off the htread. I don't care.

Chillfactor
10-22-2009, 19:16
Under Armour didn't work for me. While you're hiking they get soaked (there's no wicking in humid weather), don't dry overnight-again the humidity, and if you take a break you freeze. I guess my body cooled down as did the wet sports bra. The first thing I did in the evening was take it off and put on something dry.
I found that a regular, basic bra was best. It covers the basic area, drys quicker, and gave adequate support. The sports bras, including Addidas Cool Max, left me chilly if the weather cooled off. I found the Addidas to dry quicker overnight.

kanga
10-22-2009, 20:38
moving comfort hands down.

Rhapsodist
10-25-2009, 18:48
moving comfort 100% There is a enough variety to keep the girls close (I'm a double DD) but not constricted or uncomfortable. Dries moderately quickly. As long as it's not SUPER humid or RAINING things should work out ok.

Tag-along
10-29-2009, 21:47
I found that I liked a camisole style best. I am 55 and do not like to show off my midsection much. There were many time when I found my self changing clothes with guys around. I wore Patagonia camisoles with built in bras like a second skin. When it was warm I was comfortable with just the camisole. I also wore a skirt and you can change your clothes in a crowd without exposing yourself.

TinaLouise
10-30-2009, 20:10
great thread... I'm looking for help in the bra department too... I dislocated my shoulder and broke the top of my arm bone this year. Since then I've had a heck of a time getting sports bras on and off over my head. Does anyone know if any are made with hooks (either front or back??) Also, I hike in very humid conditions and sweat a lot. My bra gets really ucky... Would things like those camisoles w/bra built in help and how easy are they to get back off?? I'm almost 53, so not a youngen anymore!! Gonna check on the Patagonia brand, thanks.

ohmeringue
11-29-2009, 15:01
I am not a fan of cool max - you have to peel it off of you when its hot. If they made a merino wool bra I would be all over that. I got some icebreaker merino wool girl boxer shorts and they are the nuts!

Good luck, Ohmeringue

Dovetail
02-17-2010, 21:27
None would be preferable, but honestly I was more comfortable with a style my husband called the "gun-slinger": flat plastic hook in front, one piece, racer back with soft cup that had a slightly padded feel. think we bought it at JC Penny's. With front hook you can undo it easily if you need to remove quickly at end of day or to swim.

gumball
02-17-2010, 21:45
I have an Ex Officio-doesn't-smell-for-weeks bra --very comfy, got it down in Damascus. Will order another when I get around to it.

ATWillow02
03-14-2010, 02:27
Ibex now makes merino wool sports bras. I have tried two of them (one a minimal version) on multiple backpacking trips and I love them! No more grungy feeling after several days of sweating.

Hawkwind61
03-14-2010, 10:17
I've done well with 'crop style' bras by Champion (Target) or EMS. I have a lot of shelf-bra style tanks as well. Again, Champion available at places like Target or the EMS brand.

K2
03-14-2010, 15:22
"Support can be Beautiful", 42 DD, wicking fabric.

Daydream Believer
03-18-2010, 20:21
Question for you all on bras if I can piggyback on this topic. I am a smaller busted woman...about a 34A in something like a shaped bra from the rack at a store. I could probably go without a bra but it'd be noticeable and embarrassing so I'd rather not.

I have tried several sports bras now and the ALL rub me in the armpit area especially closer to the front. I have some Hanes bras that are more fitted with cups that are fine but when they get wet from sweating, they stay wet for a long long time. I'd love to find something that does not rub me like that but dries out quickly and is lighter.

Any idea what my issue is? Does anyone else have this problem?

Mother Nature
03-18-2010, 21:24
Under Armour didn't work for me. While you're hiking they get soaked (there's no wicking in humid weather), don't dry overnight-again the humidity, and if you take a break you freeze. I guess my body cooled down as did the wet sports bra. The first thing I did in the evening was take it off and put on something dry.
I found that a regular, basic bra was best. It covers the basic area, drys quicker, and gave adequate support. The sports bras, including Addidas Cool Max, left me chilly if the weather cooled off. I found the Addidas to dry quicker overnight.

Same problem. UnderArmour becomes soaked very quickly and never dries. Always feel chilled with it on.

tothetrail
04-04-2010, 13:17
Same problem. UnderArmour becomes soaked very quickly and never dries. Always feel chilled with it on.

I've finally realized that I have no need for a sports bra. Regular ones dry so fast and are just more comfortable for me. I too, have the problem with the fabric of sports bras rubbing on the front of my armpit.

Victoria Secret "Body by Victoria" are my faves.