PDA

View Full Version : 170 Miles in 10 days?

Inchi
08-04-2009, 19:46
Hi everyone. I thru-hiked last year and am itching to get out on the trail this year and complete the Long Trail from Rutland to North Troy, VT. As a thru-hiker 17 mile days aren't bad but I hear that the northern part of the LT is pretty rugged. I ask those of you that have done it, any advice?

My plan is to park at the lot across the road from the Long Trail Inn and hoof it north. It seems there a few shuttles available from the northern terminus to Burlington or Montpelier to the bus stations but Greyhound doesn't go through Rutland apparently. Now I have to research getting from White River Junction to Rutland...hitch hiking isn't my idea of safe as a single woman. Again, any ideas??

Thanks, Gumby f.k.a Inchi

Lone Wolf
08-04-2009, 20:35
what kinda shape you in right now?

Cabin Fever
08-04-2009, 21:13
Given the condition of the southern 1/3 of the LT/AT when I was there two weeks ago, you can look forward to long days with soggy feet. If you can manage 17 mile days consistently over that terrain with those trail conditions, I give you big props.

ShelterLeopard
08-04-2009, 21:23
Hi everyone. I thru-hiked last year and am itching to get out on the trail this year and complete the Long Trail from Rutland to North Troy, VT. As a thru-hiker 17 mile days aren't bad but I hear that the northern part of the LT is pretty rugged. I ask those of you that have done it, any advice?

My plan is to park at the lot across the road from the Long Trail Inn and hoof it north. It seems there a few shuttles available from the northern terminus to Burlington or Montpelier to the bus stations but Greyhound doesn't go through Rutland apparently. Now I have to research getting from White River Junction to Rutland...hitch hiking isn't my idea of safe as a single woman. Again, any ideas??

Thanks, Gumby f.k.a Inchi

When are you going? If you're going mide-late September, I might be able to give you a ride because I'll be in VT for about a week.

ShelterLeopard
08-04-2009, 21:24
Oh, and Amtrak runs through both Rutland and White Rive Junction (though I don't know if you can get a train directly from Rutland to White River)

Quoddy
08-04-2009, 21:34
If you are in top-notch shape and can hike long days it is possible, but difficult. Consistent 17 mile days in the north are nearly impossible for us mortals, but I have seen a couple of hikers do it... one had just completed a fast thru of the AT.

I'm doing a SOBO E-2-E beginning August 10th after a NOBO in 2007, but I plan a much more leisurely pace due to no time constraints.

Whatever pace you do, you will enjoy that section of the trail.

krozby
08-04-2009, 21:58
hey I was thinking of parking my car in Williamstown and taking a bus using shuttles and whatever and getting to North Troy then heading south. Seems to me with all you people heading north I could just toss my keys to the first northbounder I meet and have him/her drop it off in Williamstown.

Pat

fiddlehead
08-04-2009, 21:58
Yeah, the northern half of the LT is tough.
YOu'd better be in good shape for those climbs/descents.

Have fun.

krozby
08-04-2009, 22:04
PS
We aint talking a Hummer or nothing like that, this is a ford Aspire with a 5 speed. If your a really tall person you could always leave the windows down and let your knees hang out the windows.

Pat

Inchi
08-05-2009, 08:43
Thanks for all the replies! I'm planning on starting August 28th. I guess I won't worry about transportation, things always have a way of working themselves out. I think of myself as being in pretty good shape and my determination is rock solid. Hopefully this rain will let up and the trail will dry up a little...at least there are no worries about a water source.

jersey joe
08-05-2009, 09:35
Thanks for all the replies! I'm planning on starting August 28th. I guess I won't worry about transportation, things always have a way of working themselves out. I think of myself as being in pretty good shape and my determination is rock solid. Hopefully this rain will let up and the trail will dry up a little...at least there are no worries about a water source.
Being in shape is important if you are trying to rattle off 17 miles per day, but determination is just as important!

Peaks
08-09-2009, 18:23
17 mile days assumes that shelters are spaced equally, which they aren't.

The Long Trail Guide lists book times between shelters. And if you know how your actual hiking time compares to book times, then you should be able to get a pretty good estimate of your overall trip duration.

Bobbo
08-09-2009, 19:21
I just finished an end to end of the Long trail. It took my buddy and I 16 days of hiking. We took a big break between days three and four, but the last 13 days we did without a break. We covered from Manchester to Journeys End in those 13 days. The trail is slow going with all the mud, water and lack of brushing in the Northern sections, but we were able to mostly manage a 2 mile an hour pace. Long hiking days were the key. Vermont has excellent public transportation in it's rural areas.

scope
08-09-2009, 21:48
17 mile days assumes that shelters are spaced equally, which they aren't.

The Long Trail Guide lists book times between shelters. And if you know how your actual hiking time compares to book times, then you should be able to get a pretty good estimate of your overall trip duration.

Are you assuming he'd stay in a shelter? Most folks who are planning something that aggressive don't. Seems like a good way to estimate time, taking the book times between shelters and interpolating to your own hiking time, but could still do 17m days staying whereever.