PDA

View Full Version : Mapping programs/computer recommendations

Frau
08-04-2009, 21:24
Nessmuk is looking for a small laptop to use for nothing but mapping programs, like the Nat. Geo., Del Lorme, etc. He has asked me to investigate for him and come up with a few computers to research. Certainly some of you use mapping programs and laptops.

Will you all post brands and recommendations for, or warnings against each? Nessmuk will not be using the computer for anything but mapping.

Thanks so much, Frau

fiddlehead
08-05-2009, 00:14
When you say "small laptop" i am thrown off because to me, the two most important things would be graphic card and screen size (the bigger the better)

I have a 17" Toshiba laptop and use it for a lot of things including editing video.
It has a great display screen and I have seen smaller, cheaper ones. No thanks.

Good luck.
I used to use Delorme USA 3.0 but now just use google earth for most things.

Summit
08-05-2009, 07:10
What is your price range / limitation on the laptop?

I use Delorme Topo 7.0 on my desktop. I don't use it as much as I thought I would to be honest. The US Geological Survey, which most mapping software programs are built on, have not surveyed many areas in over 40 years. Example: The old NFS road that goes to Standing Indian Campground and keeps going and you can take a left at a NFS road intersection and drive up to Albert Mtn. parking lot (within 1/2 mile of Albert Mtn). This road was extended more than 20 years ago (Ron Haven can probably be more precise), and yet it isn't even on my Delorme Topo map.

I go into all this detail to make the point that if you want up-to-date maps for backpacking, look for commercialized maps like National Geographic's at your local hiking retailer, or online. They update trail reroutes fairly frequently so you're much more likely to not get confused using these maps as opposed to topo software.

Back to the laptop, most current laptops with a dual-core processor and 3 gig or more memory should run topo software without any problems. Your entry price point for such should be around $500.

Homer&Marje
08-05-2009, 07:28
Been using National Geographic topo 4.0 and it's OK.....the maps are old so some of them are actually out of date, but I think that rings true for most programs...

Great program if you have another, even small, map to guide you while your making your route.....now....if your planning on bushwacking you can make a red line go anywhere:D

But it is nice, let's you break up the trail into exact miles, plug in text for campsite planning or miles, let's you label water sources, campsites, lookouts, or general info that you want on your map.. Does a great job of detail on the maps though.

Snowleopard
08-05-2009, 10:42
I've been using Delorme topo software; I use it less now that Google maps has topo. It runs fine on older computers so should run fine on any new computer. DeLorme is nicer on a big monitor (I'm using 22").

I have an Acer netbook that I like, but it has a small screen (9"). Try any computer out on Google maps topo to see if you can see what you need. For me my Acer's screen is too small for using topo maps much, but my vision is not the greatest.

Maptitude
08-06-2009, 10:12
The Maptitude mapping software (http://www.caliper.com)has pretty minimal system requirements for use on a laptop, and comes with streets plus the ability to download USGS topographic maps and Google earth images.

TIDE-HSV
08-06-2009, 17:54
Hmmm... Looked like really a business-oriented piece of software...

Frau
08-06-2009, 19:20
I told Nessmuk he needs to read these posts, and answer himself. He will check them this evening.

Fr.

MikenSalem
08-06-2009, 23:18
I'm using Garmin's Mapsource ($100) and it's pretty good. I also use Google Earth and arcGIS Explorer if I want layering. I looked at mapsource and it doesn't show the road (FS72) to Albert Mtn. fire-tower either. Most any newer laptop will run these with a duel core processor and 1 gig of ram. IT's back to school time and most retailers are going to run sales on laptops soon.

ike1985
08-07-2009, 09:36
Do you guys consider mapping devices necessary?

Summit
08-07-2009, 12:18
Do you guys consider mapping devices necessary?One might be handy in a place like Shinning Rock Wilderness where the trails are poorly marked or not marked at all in many places, and out west where the country is more wide open, but as far as the AT goes, you don't need one.

Ladytrekker
08-07-2009, 12:36
This is not a computer but I just found out about this program from a runner:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

You expand the map blow it up and then mark flags and it will give you mileage, been playing with if for my urban walks

TIDE-HSV
08-08-2009, 09:13
The old NFS road that goes to Standing Indian Campground and keeps going and you can take a left at a NFS road intersection and drive up to Albert Mtn. parking lot (within 1/2 mile of Albert Mtn).

I think that's more like 30 years or so, Summit. I was unaware of its existence around that time frame, while hiking Albert, and ran into some college students who were monitoring some research station on Albert. They told me they'd driven there. I tried to rely on USGS maps when I first started hiking the GSMNP extensively. After the second abandoned trail which showed on the map, I caught on and started looking at the date. Speaking of DeLorme Topo. I stopped updating after v. 5, because I couldn't see much difference from 4. Was there much improvement after that? When DeLorme got bought, it seemed the new owners were trying to pay for their purchase by pushing out "new and better" versions every year...

Summit
08-08-2009, 09:24
Do you guys consider mapping devices necessary?I actually have the capability on my Windows Mobile phone with Google Maps / GPS, but don't use it due to high battery drain. Between periodic calls home, weather updates, and reading my Bible at night, I can get 8 or 9 days out of two batteries which works for me. I remove the battery completely when not using it.

Summit
08-08-2009, 09:30
I think that's more like 30 years or so, Summit. I was unaware of its existence around that time frame, while hiking Albert (snip)That's what I was thinking too but wanted to be conservative. It wasn't there on my very first backpacking hike 36 years ago this fall. In fact, the FS72 road was not paved to the campground, i.e. gravel starting at Wallace Gap. I seem to recall seeing somewhere the USGS map of that area dated 1972, so with my first backpacking hike being in 1973, that would all tie together.

Anyone ever comment that you look like John Wayne? I get pegged frequently of looking like Clint Eastwood . . . let's make a movie together! :D

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2009, 10:12
Do you guys consider mapping devices necessary?

That was an open ended question... Yes , Park provided maps frequently are missing trails or a so poorly drawn that you cannot find the trail head. The books "fifty trails in PA" didn't want to pay royalties and went with hand drawn maps that were near useless.

I use Google Earth Plus
Microsoft Streets & Trips
Garmins proprietary software
Nat Geo - old government maps (from the 50's) as posted above
and many other programs to manipulate waypoints and data.
I can run both Garmin & Magellan from the same laptop.

To answer the first question sink into the laptop what you can afford and then have a few $$$ left over to purchase the programs.

I have been able with all this to fix many commercial maps with photo shop and add the missing trails back in for next time.

Frau
08-12-2009, 12:21
Nessmuk asks if any of you have had experience with Panasonic's Toughbook? He is looking for a rugged computer that can take the rigors of Search and Rescue situations, especially rain and dropping.

Panasonic's description of the Toughbook, Fully Rugged seems just right, but he wonders if it delivers what it promises--i.e. is the keyboard REALLY waterproof.

PS---He is grateful for all the input on the various mapping programs.

Frau