PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Dickinson State Park – East Loop

Jrickey
08-04-2009, 21:37
Has anyone had experience with this trail? Its 9.8 miles and not a far drive for me. If so, how would a dog companion fare?

Egads
08-04-2009, 21:41
Haven't hiked this trail, but camped and canoed at JD park. There were some ginormous gaters there. I was nervous in our 17 ft canoe.

toegem
08-05-2009, 05:23
JD is just 45 mins. south of me and I took that trail on a day hike 8 or 9 years ago, if memory serves your dog should have no problem. There is a fair amount of sugar sand, you will cross a savanna and there is or was a hand pump for drawing water on the trail shortly after passing the savanna but you may want to treat that water. The trail is accessed from the parking lot located next to the main entrance. They have or had a trail map that they hand out at the gate and they do charge a nominal fee for the parks use.

Mr. Magoo
08-17-2009, 20:30
The dog should be fine. Make sure that he has plenty of water (you too). There is a pump well, but definitely treat the water. Lots of wild pigs up there, and sections of the trail will be flooded with ankle-deep water; some holes along the jeep trail are waist-deep.