PDA

View Full Version : SAR trigger times

Alligator
08-05-2009, 10:03
There's been a lot of talk about rescues of late. When I go solo hiking (overnight), I leave an itinerary with my wife with my suggested mileage and exit time. I also give her instructions about when to call SAR should I not show up. If I go day hiking, I tend to leave fewer instructions, mostly just the location and when I will be back.

So when on a day, weekend, or extended hike, what sort of timeframe do YOU have for the expectation of SAR (if at all)? If it's location specific add that.

Lone Wolf
08-05-2009, 10:08
the other day i went for a 9ish mile trail run. i wrote down time/starting point and where/when i would finish approx., with instuctions to start looking for me if i was 2 hours overdue

Homer&Marje
08-05-2009, 10:22
Going hiking this weekend and will be picked up at a specific location by the wife. She has a detailed itinerary of what my days are supposed to be, what my backup plans are (mileage and shelter/campsite)

If I am more than 6 hours later than I say then she might worry....but cell phones will be our link so hopefully there is decent service for contact during the last day.

She also has a copy of my maps. When I am leaving on a longer hike, with the wife and am providing my own transportation I leave the same itinerary, mileage, backup plans and maps with my father with instructions to call SAR if I am not back 2 days past due.

Feral Bill
08-05-2009, 10:59
Last week I left an itinerary for a week long hike, allowing for 1 extra day in case of delay.

Del Q
08-06-2009, 05:03
Good early morning Alligator, I usually go out for 10-14 days, section hiker, VA-MA so far, have a two day rule, if my wife does not hear or receive a text message (will go when cell won't work), morning of day 3 make the call. I have every State Police number in my phone, have never been 2 days without a signal, yet.

Jim Adams
08-06-2009, 05:27
If I go hiking in Georgia in march, I leave word with family that if I don't show up at work sometime in october please notify the authorities. Other than that I leave no itinerary.

geek

Marta
08-06-2009, 06:31
Good thread. On a weekend hike, my husband expects to hear from my by 8 Sunday evening. That doesn't mean I'll be home, but that I will be far enough out of the mountains to make a cell phone call. He would not call SAR for several hours after that. I usually leave a written plan with him of where I plan to park and where I plan to spend the night.

On longer hikes, things are much looser. There's always a tradeoff between being suffocatingly safe and being free. I generally err towards the free side.

fiddlehead
08-06-2009, 08:27
I can see a lot of future 911 calls and rescue teams being called out because of this thread.

emerald
08-06-2009, 11:45
On the other hand, it might save family members from initiating a search unnecessarily and it does get everyone thinking about such things including the need for communication between those in the field and at home.

Blissful
08-06-2009, 11:49
A cell phone has been a great tool for me to keep in touch. Actually, we have never talked about when to call authortities. I could leave an intinerary, but they can change. The phone has been my tool of choice.

Manwich
08-06-2009, 11:55
Don't come looking for me.

emerald
08-06-2009, 12:14
A cell phone has been a great tool for me to keep in touch. Actually, we have never talked about when to call authorities. I could leave an itinerary, but they can change. The phone has been my tool of choice.

The day may come when you are unable to make an expected call and someone else may need to make a call on when to make a call.

Don't come looking for me.

Some of us might prefer your remains be picked over by buzzards, but I don't believe authorities have that option in most instances at least in this country.

CowHead
08-06-2009, 12:43
I ask my wife to pick me up at such and such place and if I'm not there then I might be in Argentina, She just smiles and said you want a ride from where. Every Place that I have hike so far smokies, Va and maryland there are always someone on the trail. I don't wonder far from it unless I need to dig a cat-hole so I'm not worry...Now I hear up north the whites and such can be very tricky to hike so when I get to them I'll most likely find some other sectional hiker to do it with....

Jester2000
08-06-2009, 14:15
Three days after I was supposed to be home.

dmax
08-06-2009, 16:13
After 24 hours she can send family to start looking for me. If I'm in NH the rule is now to let me be. Do not call anybody!

WyomingMedic
08-07-2009, 13:24
http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Extremely tough, light, easy. Practically foolproof. Allows loved ones to track you while you hike. All can be done online. If you need help, one button brings the cavalry. Another button can be designated to just contact a friend and tell them you need help (not necessarily emergency).

Does not rely on cell coverage. It is done through a system of satellites. Service is cheap and can be canceled at any time. Works anywhere in North America (as long as you can kind of see the sky) NO CAVING :D

WM

SawnieRobertson
08-07-2009, 15:13
SAR teams prefer that you contact them at least an hour before dark if they are going to need to go a-searching.--Kinnickinic

leeki pole
08-07-2009, 16:27
I can see a lot of future 911 calls and rescue teams being called out because of this thread.
Now ain't that the truth. My wife always has a rough schedule of my whereabouts, and I've always told her that if you don't hear from me from a semi-planned location within a week, then you might want to call someone. Might is the definitive word in the previous sentence. The AT ain't downtown New York City, for crying out loud.

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2009, 16:34
Yea what he said "don't come looking...." honest I have asked this question too. I rarely tell my wife where I am going.

Alligator
08-07-2009, 17:19
On the AT, as a section hiker, I'm on a very strict schedule so if I'm not out by hike's end my wife is told to start calling the next day (24 hours). She knows not to worry too much because I have all my gear, but if I'm not out by then and have not relayed a delay then I have been injured. I have a phone now but I still don't call but every 2-3 days so that a shorter expectation time does not come into play. First thing I do is call her when I finish a hike so if I get killed in a car accident then don't look for me in the woods:eek:.

Day hikes, trail runs I tell her where I'm going and when I'll be back. She'd be worried by nightfall most likely and we hadn't really discussed day hikes but I'll probably tell her to wait for first light.

If I was on an extended hike or in a different location then the AT, then different plans would be developed.

leeki pole
08-07-2009, 17:53
Good point Alligator, I was talking about a section in my previous post. I always leave a business card in my vehicle at the trailhead when on a dayhike with my itinerary on it. For some reason, dayhikes worry my wife more than a section, I guess because I don't usually have the gear necessary to manage more than an unplanned overnight and I'm usually alone.

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2009, 19:28
After 24 hours she can send family to start looking for me. If I'm in NH the rule is now to let me be. Do not call anybody!

Yes I will be adopting that rule too.

Tin Man
08-07-2009, 23:26
I leave a trail of dead shelter mice, broken water filters and catholes. Catch me if you can.