PDA

View Full Version : FS: Reservations to Chimney Pond, 16, 17, 18 August

Funkmeister
08-05-2009, 10:13
Months ago, several of us reserved places at Chimney Pond, near Baxter Peak. The rez was for 6 of us at 2 shelters. For various reasons, only 3 of us are going, and we have three slots and one unused shelter available.

Baxter Park Reservation Office doesn't offer refunds.

Since mid-August is the high season of hiking in BSP, and since Chimney Pond is well used, it's reasonable to think all reservations are taken, leaving only drive-up availability, a risky move. So...I'm offering this at face value, $90 (no mark-up or scalping) to the first interested hiker with a paypal account or some way to make payment.

That way, you can hike in, set up a basecamp for a few days, and see the new Baxter Peak sign for yourself in a day hike. It's a great way to traverse the Knife Edge and enjoy a hearty dinner with boxed wine just a few miles from Baxter Peak. Chimney Pond is a wonderful place to watch a Maine sunset.

Any takers?

Funkmeister
08-08-2009, 10:03
Here's what the sign looked like last August. Never mind the handsome crew surrounding it.

Funkmeister
09-15-2009, 15:10
Here's what the new sign looks like.

There were a few people there the day I climbed the Cathedral Trail to get there.

I've also attached two images of the sign from considerably farther away.