PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on 2 night hike near Grayson Highlands

jeremyupham
08-05-2009, 11:12
My wife and I are planning a 2 night hike in mid-Oct near Grayson Highlands VA. I've never been hiking in this area and would appreciate any input on "must see's" in that area. Also looking for possible trails that make a big loop (2.5 day'ish) in that area that come back to the Grayson Highlands State Park.

Tennessee Viking
08-05-2009, 12:09
There is the Pine Mountain and AT Loop. From what I heard, its more of a overnighter or long day hike.

BobTheBuilder
08-05-2009, 12:25
I'm doing this section next month so I'll be watching the responses for the "must sees." According to my copy of the ATC guide for this area, there are alot of loop hike opportunities. That's about all I can understand from that book. I'm sure it's just me, but it seems like they make everything as clear as mud.

toegem
08-05-2009, 13:54
I'll be doing the Damascus to Atkins or vice versa next month so I've been starinbg at the map that comes with the AT guide to SW Virginia. The map shows a trail called the Lewis Fork Trail that runs from the Mt. Rogers Trail and connects with the AT by the Old Orchard Shelter. I would guesstimate it to be a 20 mile loop with what appears to be some elevation changes.

jeremyupham
08-05-2009, 16:38
Thanks for the info. I just picked up a book at the library of 50 hikes in southern VA. I would love to hike Mt Rogers and everything I read says it's a must see so I think we will do the hike toegem suggested. It"s about a 19.2 mile circuit hike around and the author suggests a 3 day hike to see it, the 3rd day being a short couple hour hike back to the car. We are celebrating our 7th anniversary so we would like to finish off with the last night in a romantic town near there. Any suggestions? Nice cabins, hotels, restaurants (my wife is vegetarian so no steakhouses:), whatever. Neither one of us are familiar with that area. I was leaning toward Damascus but open to others.

Tennessee Viking
08-05-2009, 16:50
Thanks for the info. I just picked up a book at the library of 50 hikes in southern VA. I would love to hike Mt Rogers and everything I read says it's a must see so I think we will do the hike toegem suggested. It"s about a 19.2 mile circuit hike around and the author suggests a 3 day hike to see it, the 3rd day being a short couple hour hike back to the car. We are celebrating our 7th anniversary so we would like to finish off with the last night in a romantic town near there. Any suggestions? Nice cabins, hotels, restaurants (my wife is vegetarian so no steakhouses:), whatever. Neither one of us are familiar with that area. I was leaning toward Damascus but open to others.
Abingdon is great town for an anniversary dinner. The Tavern is a really upscale restaurant. Great food though. You can also take a show at the Barter. Its about 15-20 minutes west on US 58. You can find some nice bed & breakfasts around there. The historic Martha Washington inn.

But for cabins and small town feel. Then Damascus is the place.

ShoelessWanderer
08-05-2009, 17:06
A trip I did in May to that area.

http://www.meetup.com/EastCoastHikers/calendar/9551851/

We didn't use Grayson Highlands SP as our drop/pickup point just so we wouldn't have to pay parking, but, you could use that if you wanted. Same loop, would just be different mileage.

Map: http://files.meetup.com/751131/Mount%20Rogers%20Map%20with%20our%20Route.JPG our route was in pink.

johnnybgood
08-05-2009, 17:33
I second Tennessee Vikings suggestion on Abingdon.
Abingdon is a little pricey but you get a great atmosphere for such a special occasion at the Tavern.

JJJ
08-05-2009, 17:50
Massie Gap to Deep Gap
Deep Gap via Lewis Fork and AT to Scales
Back to Massie Gap via AT
Would make a good loop with plenty of pony possiblities
If you have some time, the blue blaze to the Roger's summit is easy if you like balsam forest (no vista though)

On the food side, vegetarian is not an Abingdon forte, but doable I guess.
You shouldn't go wrong with:

Wildflower Bakery (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/abingdonva/D61199.html)(call ahead and Roger might be able do something special for a special veggie, tell him JJ sent ya :))
Martha Washington Inn (if you stay here as well, their outdoor custom hot tub/ spa area is fantastic)
Willajacks
House on Main
The Tavern

For just pizza, subs, and beer -one word- Bella's

Have fun.

nox
08-05-2009, 18:33
check out hikingupward.com there are tons of hikes, with maps and descriptions for virginia and west virginia.

ShoelessWanderer
08-06-2009, 08:03
Massie Gap to Deep Gap
Deep Gap via Lewis Fork and AT to Scales
Back to Massie Gap via AT
Would make a good loop with plenty of pony possiblities
If you have some time, the blue blaze to the Roger's summit is easy if you like balsam forest (no vista though)

On the food side, vegetarian is not an Abingdon forte, but doable I guess.
You shouldn't go wrong with:

Wildflower Bakery (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/abingdonva/D61199.html)(call ahead and Roger might be able do something special for a special veggie, tell him JJ sent ya :))
Martha Washington Inn (if you stay here as well, their outdoor custom hot tub/ spa area is fantastic)
Willajacks
House on Main
The Tavern

For just pizza, subs, and beer -one word- Bella's

Have fun.

Vegetarian is not a Southwestern VA forte. But abingdon is great and even a vegetarian can find something decent.

Anumber1
08-06-2009, 15:51
Stop into Damascus and maybe spend a night if time allows. You can pretty much ask anyone in town for advice for you hike.

sweetpeastu
08-07-2009, 10:10
Not sure the price range you're lookin for but contact these people: http://www.rugbycreek.com/ Connie Smart is the mother. I can't remember the two daughters names right now...one is Ashleigh. Anywho, I've stayed there numerous times. I was just there over Christmas, actually. Cabins are very nice.

As for hiking. You can go up to Grayson Highlands and take the A.T. Southbound up to Rhodo Gap. Then take the Pine Mtn trail (awesome views!) down towards the Scales. You can camp somewhere in between the Scales and Pine Mtn trail or you can keep going. Take horse trail (one of many) back over the A.T. come up by Wise Shelter, keep hiking A.T. back to Massie Gap. Its a nice trip. Awesome views. This route should take you by Wilburn Ridge --that is one of the areas "must see" places. Get the National Geographic TRail Map--detail is great and shows you all the horse trails. HAVE FUN! PM me if you have questions. I love this area.

sweetpeastu
08-07-2009, 10:12
As for food, you can drive over into NC if you stay at the Rugby Creek Cabins. They have a nice ITal. place called Isabells and there is always Shateley Springs for good home cookin. Not sure how nice the food will be for a vegetarian. West Jefferson isn't too awful far....well by my standards, it isn't. If this is too "mountainous" you might want to go to Abingdon and stay...I prefer the mtns. though.

sweetpeastu
08-07-2009, 10:16
On other thought, if you like the idea of Rugby Creek Cabins the Mtn. Top cabin is the one to get (if its not booked up). It has a nice jacuzzi tub...very romantic and accomodates two people very nicely :).

Views of Mt. Rogers also happen to be amazing. Very private and secluded. Gosh I wish I were there now.

sweetpeastu
08-07-2009, 10:18
Ok, just one other thought, if you wanted to camp out for two nights (i'm not sure if I'm readin your post right) you can lenghten the route I suggested. Also, once at the Scales, you don't have to take the horse trail back to the A.T. you can keep following the A.T. and it will eventually lead you back to Massies Gap/Grayson Highlands. I just never go that way cause I"m normally in a hurry for some reason or another. If you want a liesurly hike, you may also consider hiking up to Rhodo Gap and camping off the Crest Trail ...again the views are awesome up there and there is a nice stream down the hill.

jeremyupham
08-11-2009, 16:22
Thanks sweetpeastu. I will definately look into your suggestions. It all sounds great to me. So hard to pick.

cutman11
08-12-2009, 01:14
I like to park at massie gap, take the spur trail uphill to the AT, go south on the AT, passing sign for the pine mountain trail at rhododendron gap and pass Thos Knob shelter, up to the top of MT Rogers. Then return to Thos knob, water up if needed, camp near rhododendron gap. 2nd day, hike to the Pine mt trail, follow that to the AT, go South on AT (now heading back towards Massie gap), camp at wilson creek near the fence line back into the grayson highlands park, 3rd day (morning, really) hike on AT south to Spur trail and back to car at parking lot. I have done this arriving at the park on a friday afternoon, and leaving the park sunday at 12 noon. The nice part is having the privy access at Thos Knob, Scales, and Wise shelter (near wilson creek campsite)