PDA

View Full Version : How did you afford it

Jrickey
08-05-2009, 15:32
I have seen many threads and posts about how much money to bring on a thru hike, ranging from 400 to 5000 dollars. After you quit your jobs, sold your car, broke up with your S.O how did you go back to civilization. How was your life affected?

Or have you worked with this goal in mind and put away enough money to hike, come back, leave again in a few months and continue this cycle for many years? I am only 22 years old. I have worked part-time since I have been 16 but with college and rent I have not been able to save a great deal. In order for me to do a thru hike I would have to sell almost every possesion I own. Then what?

Just curious. I dont plan on doing a thru hike for many years.

ChinMusic
08-05-2009, 15:53
I like your question. At your age I could not imagine having taken that amount of time off. Many do. At your age I was working on my professional degree and knee-deep in books. I couldn't have afforded it anyway.

I'm 51 and once retired it won't be about cost. The primary concern shifts to health.

Disney
08-05-2009, 15:53
Although many people will no doubt disagree, I think a thru hike is worth putting on credit cards. I'm not saying you should go out and buy all the most expensive gear, and stay in hotels in every town, but the general expenses of food, shared rooms, and decent hiking gear can add up pretty quickly. Don't sell everything, you'll want to have some luxuries to come back to. Keep good credit, then save enough money to make the minimum payment, get used gear when you can, and go for it. If you think it's hard now, wait until you've got kids, a mortgage, and a career.

It's better to do it now and remember for the rest of your life, then dream about it for 40 years, waiting till you retire.

Scooby99
08-05-2009, 16:02
One option is find a job where there is abundant OT, not easy in todays economic environment I understand, but if you can find one, just put one shifts pay towards hiking costs, should have enough shortly. I worked for a security company all through college, worked 50-60 hours per week, more during summer and vacation time and saved enough for the hike and gear costs. And I would agree with the above post, get it done now, once you get caught up with a mortage, wife, dog, career, and kids, makes it even more difficult to get the time, money, and permission ;) to go. I hiked in '99 at 19 years old, at 30 now, its just about impossible to consider a month long hike, nevermind a thru

wrongway_08
08-05-2009, 16:47
Do it ASAP, its easier the earlier you do it. You wont miss much on schooling/jobs/what ever is holding you back now.

Later on when you are in the middle of saving, payn a car/house/wife off - it gets tougher.

I did one last year, put in for 6 months off. At first they said no, then I said "sorry but I am going to go hike, the job is not as important as hiking the A.T. is to me.". They then said I could have off the time. Was nice of them.

Its been almost a year now ..... I am thinking of doing another thru ........

Just do it now, before you get cought up in the "real world" crap.

Disney said it best in the post above .... It's better to do it now and remember for the rest of your life, then dream about it for 40 years, waiting till you retire.

Summit
08-05-2009, 17:50
"Sell every possession you own" and do it now! Gets harder, if not impossible to justify after marriage and kids come along. I'll take experiences over "stuff" any day!

Sly
08-05-2009, 17:55
I like your question. At your age I could not imagine having taken that amount of time off. Many do. At your age I was working on my professional degree and knee-deep in books. I couldn't have afforded it anyway.

I'm 51 and once retired it won't be about cost. The primary concern shifts to health.

Maybe you couldn't have afforded $5K when you were his age, but at that time it probably only cost $5-600.

I would think after college and before you settle in professionally is an excellent time to hike.

As far as waiting until you retire and being able to do the distance, good luck.

Sly
08-05-2009, 18:01
"Sell every possession you own" and do it now! Gets harder, if not impossible to justify after marriage and kids come along. I'll take experiences over "stuff" any day!

I agree sell everything you own. Once you finish and get working again, you can buy the stuff you need, used. You'll find it amazing on what you can really live without.

Summit
08-05-2009, 19:23
I think at 22, just finishing college, no serious relationship, no job, and no kids, it would feel really cool to sell everything and be on the trail with literally everything you own, in your pack, on your back . . . hey, I can dream, can't I? :)

neighbor dave
08-05-2009, 19:26
:-?the american dream is a trap. seek adventure:-?

bigcranky
08-05-2009, 20:00
After you quit your jobs, sold your car, broke up with your S.O ....

That's a lot of changes. Probably more than I would want to do -- and my lovely wife might object to #3. (But I'm sort of afraid to ask.)

You're young. You can work your behind off for a year or two, live cheap, and go thru-hike. Better to do it young than wait.

You might find the Thruhiking Papers (http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html) an interesting read.

Blissful
08-05-2009, 20:04
I wanted to do it for 30 years. Planned for it, put money away for it. Gathered gear over a few years. Felt a big let-down when it was accomplished, but now I am planning for other hikes and to do a big section with my hubby in 2011 in New England.

Alerys
08-05-2009, 20:31
You might find the Thruhiking Papers (http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html) an interesting read.

I have to say thank you for posting that link - though I've spent the last few months soaking up everything I can, I hadn't seen this before, and it looks to be a good read.

And to the OP: Don't wait! Minimizing your possessions is actually a huge relief - once you start chucking things, it can become addicting!

Monster13
08-05-2009, 20:47
Jrickey, I am also 22 and looking to do a hike. My plan may not work for you, but it may be useful. I've been married to my awesome husband for a little over a year now. We've just moved to TX (which is kind of sad when you think about how close I was to the AT in South Carolina...but the military moves him where it will). I'm pretty new to overnight hiking (I've only been on day hikes). I'm also about to go back to school in the fall. I should be graduating Spring 2012, but it'll be too late in the season to do a NOBO, which is my plan. So I'm planning my NOBO for Spring 2013. While I'm trying to not have to work (a luxury most don't have, I know) through college so I can focus on my school work, I intend to work my little butt off the 9-10 months before my hike to save up for supplies and such. I'm working on getting my pack and equipment now though, and also working on getting some experience hiking around here (and I'll probably do a few section hikes when I visit my parents in Alabama). I'm lucky that my husband can and is willing to support me not only throught my thru hike, but also through school. I'm also lucky that he's wanting to wait a few years before we begin a family. :) That's my plan...hope it helps you a little with yours.

Jrickey
08-05-2009, 21:22
Appreciate all the replies. I am jealous of anyone who is put through college, you are a lucky girl utsameg. Unfortunately I have 1.5 years left of college. I was on the 4 year plan, then 5 year plan, now 6 years. The problem has always been money.

How did you guys sell your things? Ebay? Craigslist? pawnshop? Im trying to raise money for a small trip from Dick Creek gap to Amicalola during my 10 days off between summer school and fall classes.

Spogatz
08-05-2009, 21:24
Ponzi scheme.....

take-a-knee
08-05-2009, 21:26
I agree sell everything you own. Once you finish and get working again, you can buy the stuff you need, used. You'll find it amazing on what you can really live without.

Good philosophy, JJ Cale said, "The less you want, the more you got".

Summit
08-05-2009, 22:13
Ponzi scheme, JJ Cale . . . this is the best thread in a while! :D

GeneralLee10
08-05-2009, 22:15
:-?the american dream is a trap. seek adventure:-?

This and a few others post in this thread are very true. The older you get the harder it becomes. As I am dealing with that now job etc.. Do It Now! and not later don't let it be a dream/thought. Only if I knew then what I know now about the "American Dream". I do beleve Debt/Credit is something the government has created to keep us all working seems as if it's a way to control society. If we keep all the people in debt then they will always have to work.:mad: I have never had a credit card only vehicle loan's and never will get a Government/Credit card other than my ID's.

Bearpaw
08-05-2009, 23:18
I got out of the Marine Corps debt-free and with money in savings. Maybe serving your country for a few years will give you an even greater appreciation of the freedom you'll feel on the trail. It certainly did for me.

But no matter what, avoid debt. It is the slavery of the 21st century. Once you're in deep enough, you'll never be free again.

Lyle
08-05-2009, 23:33
DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!

It will never be easier. Sell you possessions, get an extra job, save every dime, get a roomate or just rent a room in stead of an apartment (easy with no possessions:D), live frugally. It will be well worth it when you hit the trail next spring. You can live MUCH cheaper on the trail than you can at home for six months.

As far as coming back, not a problem. Get an outdoor job, or one that allows you to be outdoors. Won't pay much, but is an easier transition than coming back to an office.
DON"T WAIT!!!!!

ShelterLeopard
08-06-2009, 15:03
DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!

It will never be easier. Sell you possessions, get an extra job, save every dime, get a roomate or just rent a room in stead of an apartment (easy with no possessions:D), live frugally. It will be well worth it when you hit the trail next spring. You can live MUCH cheaper on the trail than you can at home for six months.

As far as coming back, not a problem. Get an outdoor job, or one that allows you to be outdoors. Won't pay much, but is an easier transition than coming back to an office.
DON"T WAIT!!!!!

Nice response Lyle! That's what I'm doing. Saving every penny until I hit the trail on February 23! And when I do, I'm gonna live in style! By which I mean stay in hostels that smell like hiker every couple of weeks and treat myself to three days in an INN in Harpers Ferry! I'm so excited!

ShelterLeopard
08-06-2009, 15:04
Note: I said INN not hostel. Clean sheets, food, and a REAL full out resupply. Switching out all the old plastic bags for new and winter gear for spring!!!!!

slowandlow
08-06-2009, 16:09
Note: I said INN not hostel. Clean sheets, food, and a REAL full out resupply.

I predict you will be wanting these things by the time you get to Hiwassee, Franklin at the latest.

The Solemates
08-06-2009, 16:17
Appreciate all the replies. I am jealous of anyone who is put through college, you are a lucky girl utsameg. Unfortunately I have 1.5 years left of college. I was on the 4 year plan, then 5 year plan, now 6 years. The problem has always been money.

How did you guys sell your things? Ebay? Craigslist? pawnshop? Im trying to raise money for a small trip from Dick Creek gap to Amicalola during my 10 days off between summer school and fall classes.

I think at your age (which is the age I was when I hiked just a few years ago), saving has to be your life in order to make a hike happen. I too put myself through college (although I had scholarships too). But hiking the AT for me was something I planned for and saved up for for nearly 7 years before doing. With my plan, I was able to pay for two of us to hike. Its certainly doable.....its all about living well below your means (and working your butt off).

STICK
08-06-2009, 17:38
[quote=Alerys;876809]I have to say thank you for posting that link - though I've spent the last few months soaking up everything I can, I hadn't seen this before, and it looks to be a good read.

I agree, that is a great link! I printed it all off and reading it now!
My fiance and I are planning a 9 day hike next month, been waiting since April of this year, which is when we got the hiking bug. Its great stuff so far. Points out alot of things that you think of, but dont really think about. I think its great to try to be aware of as much as you possibly can.
One day I plan on doing a thru hike. When? I dont know. Im stuck in the up to my neck in bills delima!
I would have to say, finish college, and then do your hike. Do everything you can now to save save save, and then for graduation go, go, go! This would be a great way to realize more of what life is about than what the world has to offer.
I dont agree with the credit card thing. Think of how great it would be to come back, with a college degree, and completly debt free! So, if you can acquire the gear and then save as much as you can, IMO that would be the definate way to go. Its no fun owing, owing, owing!
Then you come back with an outlook on life that says you dont have to have every new trendy thing out there, cause there is way more to life than this world! You would be able to start brand new and you would be able to plan more hikes easier!
Just my 2 cents.....

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 19:38
it was real easy and pretty cheap!,i usually woke up earlier than everybody at the shelter areas. i would pack up and there was always alot of bags full of food just hanging around the front of the shelter in these colorful bags for some reason, just hanging there:-?, grab one and go!:D

GeneralLee10
08-06-2009, 20:00
it was real easy and pretty cheap!,i usually woke up earlier than everybody at the shelter areas. i would pack up and there was always alot of bags full of food just hanging around the front of the shelter in these colorful bags for some reason, just hanging there:-?, grab one and go!:D

I don't think you would put your dirty hands on my bag of food. Then you would be hiking with 1 less hand.:D That's right you would be missing one hand so you would have one hell of a time with those hiking poles.:eek: Just making that comment should make people not want to stay in a shelter.

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 20:09
I don't think you would put your dirty hands on my bag of food. Then you would be hiking with 1 less hand.:D That's right you would be missing one hand so you would have one hell of a time with those hiking poles.:eek: Just making that comment should make people not want to stay in a shelter.
if you believe that?,i have some ocean front property in arizona for sale.

GeneralLee10
08-06-2009, 20:51
if you believe that?,i have some ocean front property in arizona for sale, besides shelters are for wussies:eek:

No I don't, sure your not that kinda person by any means. I was really just kidding with you. Please do not take that serious.:D I plan on not sleeping in a shelter after what I seen on the Pinhoti Trail.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50818

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 20:55
my girlfriend added the wussie thing, i deleted it. i would never steal from anybody. glad you weren't serious. besides you don't need two hands to hike. i leave for maine in 5 days and i have a blown out shoulder and arm from laying 200 lb. stones, im a brick,stone,block layer. i can't afford the doctor til i get back!

GeneralLee10
08-06-2009, 21:08
I was wondering lol cause I looked at the post and it was gone (wussie). I found some nasty things on the Pinhoti at the shelter. Just plan lazy and nasty peps out there, glad I'm not one of them. Oh by the way hate to admit this but I did clean up the paper with some sticks and put it in the fire pit to burn.

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 21:11
if i had a nickel for every time i hauled out trash. i be a hundredaire

GeneralLee10
08-06-2009, 21:18
my girlfriend added the wussie thing, i deleted it. i would never steal from anybody. glad you weren't serious. besides you don't need two hands to hike. i leave for maine in 5 days and i have a blown out shoulder and arm from laying 200 lb. stones, im a brick,stone,block layer. i can't afford the doctor til i get back!

Now that has to bite, As a surveyor the most I have to do that is hard is cut line on a Hot day in the swamp. I put down 1ton a Flag stone in the backyard by myself was not easy. Some of the stones were not all that simple to lift. Seem as if two or three of them could have been close to 150lbs. Not to sure on the correct weight but it was not an easy task the wife put me up too. LoL:) I like the fact you point out both hands are not needed to hike.

GeneralLee10
08-06-2009, 21:26
if i had a nickel for every time i hauled out trash. i be a hundredaire

I just can't seem to figure it out you know. They can carry it in full but not carry out an empty bag/pouch. What really get me is the little corners of peoples wrappers along the trails. Just put it in your dang pocket you know, they got this cool pack with room shove it in there do something Grrr... On top of it all how many of them do you think are well ed-u-macated and going to school for enviro engineering and doing that.

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 21:29
I just can't seem to figure it out you know. They can carry it in full but not carry out an empty bag/pouch. What really get me is the little corners of peoples wrappers along the trails. Just put it in your dang pocket you know, they got this cool pack with room shove it in there do something Grrr... On top of it all how many of them do you think are well ed-u-macated and going to school for enviro engineering and doing that.
i got real smart after 3 years in the 8th grade,and i know how to pack it out!:D

GeneralLee10
08-06-2009, 21:32
i got real smart after 3 years in the 8th grade,and i know how to pack it out!:D

LMAO! that is funny:D

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 21:36
not to brag,but i can add and subtract like a real son of a *itch

Dogwood
08-07-2009, 00:32
I have seen many threads and posts about how much money to bring on a thru hike, ranging from 400 to 5000 dollars. After you quit your jobs, sold your car, broke up with your S.O how did you go back to civilization. How was your life affected?

Or have you worked with this goal in mind and put away enough money to hike, come back, leave again in a few months and continue this cycle for many years? I am only 22 years old. I have worked part-time since I have been 16 but with college and rent I have not been able to save a great deal. In order for me to do a thru hike I would have to sell almost every possesion I own. Then what?

Interesting question, How can I afford it? I can only answer with How can I not afford it?

It's not always necessary to quit your job, sell your car, and break up with the S.O. to hike the AT. There are many solutions for individual issues.

And, there are many ways of defining civilization. Your ideas about what define civilization have probably largely been formed by some of the worlds most savy high tech marketing reps. They may not always have your best interests in mind.

Two quotes you may want to ponder:

Ever notice how unhealthy civiization is, isn't it? Steve Howe

I am going to venture that the man who sat, meditating on life and its meaning accepting the kinship of all creatures, and acknowleding unity with the universe of things was infusing into his being the true essence of civilization. Luther Standing Bear

El Toro '94
08-07-2009, 03:20
3 poker games/week for a year. Who needs a job?

STICK
08-09-2009, 22:52
But no matter what, avoid debt. It is the slavery of the 21st century. Once you're in deep enough, you'll never be free again.

I completly agree, from expierence! Its awful! Dont sell your future for today!

Take a breath and sart planning right now, even better yesterday! Plan it the smart way though. Save save save and then go go go! Then after your sucessful thru-hike that you have completly funded out of pocket, come back and begin with a new slate, debt free and do what you want with a better understanding! (This way you will have the expierrence and know how to plan more thru-hikes for later! :-?)

This is the way to do it!!

And good luck on the upcoming trip you are planning. My fiance and I are leaving for the same hike on September 3rd, NOBO! We cant wait, its almost here!!!

Good luck and Happy trails!

ac2rivers
08-10-2009, 04:42
Some might say that I have taken it to the extreme, but I have moved out of my rental and resorted to sleeping in my truck at night(yes, I know that its illegal). I got tired of dumping a good deal of my money into a place to store my junk and sleep. Hopefully I will be on the trail next spring.

Jaybird
08-10-2009, 05:52
I have seen many threads and posts about how much money to bring on a thru hike, ranging from 400 to 5000 dollars. After you quit your jobs, sold your car, broke up with your S.O how did you go back to civilization. How was your life affected?Or have you worked with this goal in mind and put away enough money to hike, come back, leave again in a few months and continue this cycle for many years? I am only 22 years old. .....ETCETCETC..................

I SECTION-HIKE each year...for 2 or 3 weeks...its MORE expensive for me hikin' the A.T. "on the 20-year-plan" than it would be for you 20-somethings to hike it ALL @ once...i pay for it with a little cash...but, mostly plastic.:D

Good Luck w/ yer hike!

CowHead
08-10-2009, 09:54
Depends on what you want it to be, hike if you can, section hike if you can't, but when I retire I'll be in the class of 2020 woohoooooooooo! or should I said MooooooWhoooooo

The Solemates
08-10-2009, 12:06
Some might say that I have taken it to the extreme, but I have moved out of my rental and resorted to sleeping in my truck at night(yes, I know that its illegal). I got tired of dumping a good deal of my money into a place to store my junk and sleep. Hopefully I will be on the trail next spring.

this is extreme, but I too would do this before going into debt to do a hike.

hikingshoes
08-10-2009, 12:46
im 45 and like to do that

Chenango
08-10-2009, 14:26
I wanted to do it for 30 years. Planned for it, put money away for it. Gathered gear over a few years. Felt a big let-down when it was accomplished, but now I am planning for other hikes and to do a big section with my hubby in 2011 in New England.

Blissful - What do you mean by it felt like a "big let-down" once accomplished? Just wondering ...

ShelterLeopard
08-10-2009, 15:14
Blissful - What do you mean by it felt like a "big let-down" once accomplished? Just wondering ...

I was wondering that too- let down, as in disappointed in the hike? Or let down by leaving the trail after the hike?

Pages
08-10-2009, 15:41
Depends on what you want it to be, hike if you can, section hike if you can't, but when I retire I'll be in the class of 2020 woohoooooooooo! or should I said MooooooWhoooooo

same here, it looks like. but i will remain optimistic that i may be able to thru hike before 2020.

skinny minnie
08-10-2009, 16:08
1. sell the possessions!
2. work multiple jobs after you graduate
3. don't get sucked into feeling obligated towards a career
4. don't have a baby
5. find a place with very cheap rent (or move home)
6. avoid debt like the plague

I'm doing all of the above and so far it's working - I have enough to pay for a hike next year! I had to shed some debt first though, and that was tough. Rent, bills, and debt are what will drag you down after school... just be aware of that. If you think about it, a lot of what most people "need" in life is really unnecessary. You can find free internet at the library (and at some places of employment, heheh) as well as dvds and books. You can eat at home instead of dining out. You can stop buying new clothes once you have the necessities... etc. etc. I've held a tag sale, sold stuff on craigslist and used ebay. I like craigslist best because there are no fees and posting is less of a hassle... but you have to deal with people flaking out on you, there are no bidding wars, and it's a more limited market. Right now I take the money I make from working a few shifts a week at the second job and use that for bills and non-essential items. My entire "real" paycheck goes into a savings account, and if I have a larger bill I dip in just to cover that.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bear Paw about debt. It will suck you in and is so hard to escape.

Dogwood
08-10-2009, 19:40
this is extreme, but I too would do this before going into debt to do a hike.

Yes, it makes alot more sense to go into debt to buy a boat, flat screen TV, Blackberry, humongous stainless steel grill, oversized gas guzzler, food that's slowly killing you, and a house that has so much store bought crap in it that the garage, closets, and attic are bursting at the seams.

Seems to me that it's about time to start changing the way we all define and think about the American Dream. If this is extereme so be it. Maybe, that's exactly what we need!

Dogwood
08-10-2009, 19:49
Oh, I forgot to mention. Pay for all this "stuff" by working longer harder hours at a jobby job that most people really aren't passionate about while the government takes a larger and larger percentage of the fruits of your labor.

Now, that really seems exterme to me also!

Live life to the fullest. It doesn't matter if it doesn't measure up to someone else's idea of what you should be doing.

CARPE DIEM!

coheterojo
08-10-2009, 20:03
I gave a 2 year notice at work. I don't have any debt. Had and lost all the family, house, pets, kids and piles of possessions long ago. I'm not getting any younger and I just feel like now is the time to do this.

What'll happen afterwards? Well that's a darn good question. In the immortal words of Doris Day, "Que sera sera"

Dogwood
08-10-2009, 21:08
You are currently in college? If yes, do you enjoy it? Are you passionate about what you are studying? Can you see yourself staying up late and getting up early because you have begun formulating a career that excites you?

Find a job you love and you'll never have to work again. Confuscious

If you love what you are studying strongly consider staying in school and finishing your degree. Then hike. Or, study some and hike some at the same time.

I commend you jrickey for seeking a way to design your own lifestyle - to be willing to face those unknowns that will take you out of the norm(if that is what you feel you have to do) and to what you are passionate about. This takes courage. You may embark upon a journey and not have all the answers ahead of time. Sometimes, this is enough a reason for many to hike. I admire anyone who is seeking solutions. I'm not suggesting anyone be a bum or not plan ahead. For someone, especially a young person, to question what THEY truely want and finding what that is and then finding a way to acheive it is very rare. Knowing what you don't want is not the same as knowing what you do want.

If you are asking personal experiences of how I afford to hike and it somehow helps you I sold my small landscape design/construction business several years ago. I decided that I wanted to hike and travel around the world for up to 2 yrs at a time and I didn't want to work for more than 2 yrs straight at a time. Now, it's not because I don't like work or am not absolutely passionate about landscape design. I miss my line of work greatly if I'm away from it for long, but I'm constantly involving myself in new garden designs and garden consultations AS I thru-hike. I sometimes carry horticultural books on local flora while I hike, hence my trail name. I have limited material possessions(not because it needs to be that way but because I feel I live better that way), live a frugal lifestyle( I stretch my money), and have no expensive habits. I have learned to live a simpler less complicated life. I feel I make better decisions living this way.

This is why I say - How can I not afford to hike?

Fullstep
08-10-2009, 21:54
Dont do lunch...I have worked threw lunch for 34 years=
10606 hours! with avg pay and NOT buying take out food

$275808.00====$8112.00 year
pay for the house
pay college for two
pay to hike

Also showed up early every day good for $127296.00

The Solemates
08-11-2009, 09:25
Yes, it makes alot more sense to go into debt to buy a boat, flat screen TV, Blackberry, humongous stainless steel grill, oversized gas guzzler, food that's slowly killing you, and a house that has so much store bought crap in it that the garage, closets, and attic are bursting at the seams.

Seems to me that it's about time to start changing the way we all define and think about the American Dream. If this is extereme so be it. Maybe, that's exactly what we need!

i'm not sure if you are advocating going into debt for a thru-hike or not, but regardless i still do not think going into debt for any reason other than a house is a good idea.