PDA

View Full Version : Arc Edge recieved.

MedicineMan
07-17-2004, 22:59
Finally after seemingly forever the Arc Edge appeard at the doorstep. Forever actually was a little over 4 months and considering Nunatak Gear's reputation and product that is an insignificant amount of time to wait for a custom sewn down quilt.
Here is a direct link to Nunatak's page concerning this quilt:

http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_arc_edge.htm

The quilt I recieved looks like the one pictured excepting the inner color is the same as the outer.

First I carefully opened the box and was greeted by that almost irridescent blue color, noted the very detail footbox (a copy of the footbox in the Arc Alpinist only diminuative), and the single strap on the back for effecting the variable girth known in the Arc series of 'bags'.

Next off to the post office and the cheeful Postal worker who knows why I'm there before greeting me. Bottom line: 12.4 oz. (or 9.6 oz. less than the Arc Alpinist I've been using), and that measured weight includes a #2 Granite Gear Air Sac.

Next step the fit test....if you read the manufacturers descriptor you will see that all excess has been removed to create the lowest weight quilt possible. When ordering Tom Halpin asked for my body dimensions and shoe size and this added 2inches to the width dimension. The quilt is a perfect fit but dont think you can roll around in this quilt without significant air gaps (this when lying on a flat spot and the quilt simply draped over you) unlike the Alpinist which is much wider. Tucking in the quilt along the shoulders gave a feeling of comfort and not canning (as in sardine). The footbox extends up to the mid-calf area and is what you need and nothing more. The footbox is an exact match for my 10.5 size foot

La AquaNa climbed under the Edge and at 5'2" was dwarfed by it but my feelings of awe were not shared by her. Her first comment was 'you can't roll around in this' , then she asked if I slept like this in the hammock...which I do and that is the key to the Edge's viableness in the hammock I think because for the most part I fall asleep on my back and wake up on my back.

The issue of fit is important and if sheltering or tenting the Edge will certainly work (esp. if you dont roll around a lot while sleeping and if you do consider a silk liner or overbag to decrease/eliminate drafts), but my focus is hammocking and the issue of rolling around in the Edge becomes a much smaller issue because the amount of the quilt that overWraps your shoulders is apparently more in the hammock world. And since I'm using an underquilt or Pod the shoulder areas are covered regardless.

Options for using the Edge:
1. as a line for the Alpinist
2. as a liner between The Nest and the bottom of the HH
(though this option would be an economical puzzle considering
the great difference between the cost of the Edge and liner quilts
offered by Jacks-r-Better or Speer
3. as a liner between the PeaPod and the Speer Hammock
4. as an adjunct to camp wear when pushing its 45F rating
I'm thinking Thermawrap Jacket here or WM Flight and both
with a balaclava, either should get you to freezing if you have
an underquilt deployed below.. This application acknowledges
that you carrying a camp jacket of some sort anyway so why
not sleep in it too and allow a decreased weight of your bag.

For summer use this setup:
HH Light Racer
MacCat Tarp
The Nest
Arc Edge

Total weight:approx. 4lbs

Summation: Those who follow my gear postings know I'm a big fan of Nunatak Gear.....there are few companies that will custom build a down garment or bag to excelsior standards and this is important if you are out of the norm when it comes to sizes or desires. If you do decide a Nunatak product is for you know that when it arrives you've recieved the best but also know you will wait a certain amount of time for that luxury.

If any are interested I will post pics of the Arc Edge and Arc Alpinist beside each other and juxtaposed so you can more easily visualize the size difference. Let me know.

MedicineMan

DavidR
07-18-2004, 17:37
Thanks for the great review. Could you please show pics of the two. Thanks

MedicineMan
07-18-2004, 21:22
I get out of the hospital for my week of play Wed morning,,,,that evening I will post the pics of the two and have measurements of loft in various areas of the quilt.....I've also learned to put a lamp/light source behind the quilt (not too close of course) and look for how even the down is distributed...it is easy to tell which manufacturers are using computerized injection of the baffles and which are not.
The first test of the Edge wont come until August, thats when we have a hike scheduled in SNP but in two weeks maybe a trip to Assateague in the kayaks-fingers crossed.

DavidR
09-30-2004, 21:09
MedicineMan- Could you send the pics to me? I'm interested in getting a bag from Nunatak but I can't decide which one. Thanks

tlbj6142
09-30-2004, 21:19
I'd like to see a close-up of the strap/buckel that runs across your back and what the neck clouser looks like.

I made my own down quilt. But can't figure out the "best" way to close the back and neck.

DavidR
12-30-2004, 14:10
I just recieved a bag from Nunatak gear. This is a great bag!! Thanks for the great review MedicineMan, it made my decision easier.

MedicineMan
12-31-2004, 01:27
glad you got a Nunatak bag...def. art in down and nylon!
Which bag did you get?
How long did you have to wait....the only downside with Nunatak is the lag time I think.

I'm currently studying the Jacks-r-Better answer to Hennessey's Super Shelter and the latest from Luxurylite, having just recieved both.

DavidR
01-12-2005, 19:33
I ended up getting an Arc Ghost. I was lucky enough that they had one on there web site as overstock so I didn't have to wait.

I didn't inquire about the wait since they had the bag I wanted ready to go.

Let us know how the Jacks R Better combo works out. I may be moving to a Hammock before to long.