PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking the SNP

swirlman
08-06-2009, 20:36
Will be doing some backpacking in the SNP next month for 5-6 days Which section would fit my expectations of a good time, North, Central, or South? Would like great views, lots of wildlife, peace and quiet. Easy or moderate trails available? 59 years old, male, mild heart condition, some packing experience. Raised on a farm so I know my way around the outside and what mother nature can dish out. Would like to do a 40 mile hike in 5 days. Have the necessary gear, will be hammock sleeping for the first time, should be a challenge, tried it out in the back yard and loved it. Wife and I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway last week from start to finish, had a great time. Briefly spoke to a park ranger at Front Royal entrance to the park about trails and was told that the Southern section was less traveled by hikers, don't know why. Anyone have any input or info, SNP experience they would like to share? Not hiking alone, son and son in law going.

Swirlman

Lemni Skate
08-24-2009, 09:50
The Central section is, in my opinion the best by far. This section is the best part of the AT for scenery. If you're into waterfalls you might want to wander off of the AT and head East to White Oak Canyon. Old Rag is also a classic in the Eastern part of the park.

Cookerhiker
08-24-2009, 10:25
The Central section is, in my opinion the best by far. This section is the best part of the AT for scenery. If you're into waterfalls you might want to wander off of the AT and head East to White Oak Canyon. Old Rag is also a classic in the Eastern part of the park.

I agree with this assessment although I believe the South District is also rewarding with some viewpoints, side trails, and less traffic making it enjoyable.

If you hike the Central District, I suggest you tack on another 3 miles in the South District and hike over HighTop Mountain. Topping 3,700', HighTop is is the highest point in the South District. Since you have a hammock, you can camp on top of the mountain, enjoy a great sunset from the westward-facing rocky outcropping where you can see West Virginia on a clear day, and best of all, don't have to lug water because there's actually a spring on top of the mountain. Plenty of places to hamg your hammock.

Skyline
08-24-2009, 15:13
The Central District is by far the most popular in SNP. It has the most interesting natural and man-made hike-to features. Not surprisingly, it is also the busiest district. But outside of great-weather weekends, holidays, and leaf-peeping season it should not be "overcrowded." You can hike the AT and take numerous side trails to waterfalls, historic sites, swimming holes, fishing streams, and viewpoints.

The South District is larger and more "wild." Not nearly as many tourists. Some prefer it for the relative solitude. The North District falls between these two in terms of solitude and features.

It doesn't seem as if you would need a shuttle, but visit our sites anyway for some more SNP flavor:

www.MVshuttle.com (http://www.MVshuttle.com)

www.HikeLodge2Lodge.com (http://www.HikeLodge2Lodge.com)

The first site also includes a Links page to just about anything related to hiking/backpacking in the SNP area. Especially check the link to the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC). Their volunteers maintain the AT and blue-blazed side trails in SNP, and they publish the best maps (details and graphic design) covering the Park. You would want PATC Map #10 for the Central District. Also available is the Guide to the AT and Side Trails which you would find useful.

The latter site details an option that might provide you with some ideas of how to enjoy the Central District woods over several days without carrying much weight. It's proven to be a popular hike for individuals, couples, families, and groups. Best wishes!

swirlman
08-24-2009, 17:15
Great info, just what I was looking for. Thanks for the replys.

Swirlman