PDA

View Full Version : Springer to ?

Tn Bandit
07-18-2004, 10:27
In September I知 going to start out at Springer (skipping the approach trail) and can spend up to seven days on the trail. I知 trying to divide Springer to Fontana into two weeks, is Deep Gap NC a good stopping point as far as easy for my prearranged ride to get to? My ride will be coming from Knoxville. On paper it looks good 82 miles in six days and I average 2.5 mph. Is there a better stopping point before or after Deep Gap to make it easier for my ride?
A far-fetched question, I could stay out eight days, Springer to Fontana too much to expect? I would have to average 20+ miles every day for 8 days.

TN Bandit

Lone Wolf
07-18-2004, 10:36
Springer to Fontana is too much. How about Springer to Wallace Gap? It's 21 miles north of Deep Gap and easy to get to.

smokymtnsteve
07-18-2004, 11:30
At Deep Gap in NC you can take the kimsey creek trail off the AT and down to the standing indian Campground which would be a good place to meet a ride or leave a car.

This is a bue-blaze trail...you could become a blueblazer :sun

Kerosene
07-18-2004, 11:41
Springer to Fontana in one week would really be a haul. I went from Amicalola to Deep Gap, NC in 6 days (3 12-mile days followed by 3 18's ending at the Standing Indian Campground 4 miles down the Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap). You can reach Deep Gap by taking a 6+ mile dirt road (USFS-71?) that turns off from US-64 about 2.5 miles southwest of Old 64. There were two sedans parked there when I walked through in April.

As L. Wolf notes, you could continue on the AT north from Deep Gap for another 21 miles to get to Wallace Gap/Old 64. I was planning on reaching Wallace Gap after 7.5 days but decided to cut the hike short since my partner screwed up his knee after Day 3 and was sitting back at his parent's house outside of Atlanta waiting for me to drive him back to Michigan. I had parked my car at the Rainbow Springs Campground ($5/day) and cut my hike short. Arranging a pickup at the Standing Indian Campground would give you several bail out options if you can't make it all the way to Wallace Gap in time, since the Trail does a big loop from Deep Gap over Albert Mountain to Wallace Gap.

Rain Man
07-18-2004, 11:42
In September I知 going to start out at Springer (skipping the approach trail) and can spend up to seven days on the trail. I知 trying to divide Springer to Fontana into two weeks, is Deep Gap NC a good stopping point as far as easy for my prearranged ride to get to? ...

Bandit,

I think Deep Gap, NC would be an excellent stopping point for a 7-day hike from Springer (without the Approach Trail).

There is a gravel road (USFS 71) at Deep Gap. When I reached there in November, several pickup trucks were there, as it was hunting season.

My partner and I hiked out the Kimsey Creek Trail, but found it to be poorly maintained and poorly blazed, but then again, it got dark long before we got out to the Standing Indian Campground, so that didn't help. We were wishing we had arranged a pickup at Deep Gap. The portion of the USFS 71 road we had to hike along looked to be in good shape.

Rain Main

Youngblood
07-18-2004, 11:53
I would opt for Deep Gap since it includes all of Georgia and is about halfway to Fontana Dam. The Forest Service Road (USFS 71) is a pretty good road and there is a good sized parking area. I left my truck there for 7 days in June and for 6 days earlier this month.

About your daily mileage, how comfortable are you with your estimates?

Youngblood

Tn Bandit
07-18-2004, 13:33
OK, it sounds like Deep Gap is a safe bet and I like the option of Wallace Gap by adding four miles a day or just another day to my trip. Then my next trip I could pick up there and push through Fontana to Doe Knob and down to Cades Cove to end that week. I致e completed all the AT in the GSMNP and up to Lemon Gap. I just need that little seven or so miles below Doe Knob and that would save that long slow drive around to Fontana for a day hike.
I will be by myself so I usually hike with few breaks. I知 not in a race but only stop to take in photo opps and snack breaks. When backpacking with my hiking partner we do average 2.5 with moderate gains and 2 with extreme gains. I report hikes for LocalHikes.com so I do monitor my time to report as accurately as possible for the website. I don稚 mind hiking by myself but it痴 making camp (if by myself) is boring, so staying on the trail for long as reasonably possible is better for me!

Thanks for the advice,
TN Bandit
www.localhikes.com