PDA

View Full Version : Water shoe/camp shoe

Just Lisa
08-07-2009, 14:27
if you had to pick the best shoe for the dual purpose of being a camp and water shoe, what would you pick?
thanks, Lisa

Pacific Tortuga
08-07-2009, 15:28
I'm not familiar with them but I watched a form of wake boarders on fuel TV that used a tennis like shoe. Wakeskating is what they called it. I'm sure the shoes are high dig $$.$$. Not sure how much they weigh or if they are that comfortable. I found them interesting and will look for them at a sporting goods store, just to check em out.
Something different than the usuall suspects.

LockJaww
08-07-2009, 15:43
I have a pair of Keen Arroyo 2's that I really like. Online reviews that I read often stated the reviewer found that they run a half size to big. Maybe so..I bought my usual size , but replaced the factory insert with an orange Superfeet insole. I really like these shoes.

think0075
08-07-2009, 15:56
i got a ten dollar pair of croc type things at rite-aid. there nice cause there light and easy to strap to your pack plus they are def. comfortable. although most time i just where trail runners that dont have gortex so they dry quickly plust still comfy to wear around camp and in town

Snowleopard
08-07-2009, 16:21
Just ordered a pair of these, $10 with shipping.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9526&highlight=nothinz

Neoprene slippers, $8.00 before shipping.
http://www.theunderwearguys.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=218

Also, search for crocs and you'll find other threads dealing with this question.
Places that sell nursing scrubs have cheap croc type shoes.

Ladytrekker
08-07-2009, 16:51
Keens h20, I kayak alot and use these all the time, very comfortable and stay on feet good and well ventilated.

chiefduffy
08-07-2009, 17:06
I wore croc knockoffs for years, but this year I tried the neoprene slippers (mentioned above). I put an old pair of insoles in them so I could walk on rocks and stuff. They worked great and weigh nothing.

Slack-jawed Trog
08-07-2009, 17:29
I just use an old pair of Teva sandals. Works for me, YMMV. ;)

Blissful
08-09-2009, 19:02
Crocs, the real ones for me ( they lasted me from Franklin to Maine and I used them in ME water crossings and am using them today)

Skidsteer
08-09-2009, 20:05
if you had to pick the best shoe for the dual purpose of being a camp and water shoe, what would you pick?
thanks, Lisa

I chose New Balance 920's AKA H2Flow.

http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3968857reg.jpg

Good for water, camping, and hiking.

Tinker
08-09-2009, 20:31
Old running shoes.

hikingshoes
08-09-2009, 22:37
Ill sec.the Teva sandals.
I just use an old pair of Teva sandals. Works for me, YMMV. ;)

Tennessee Viking
08-10-2009, 08:23
Crocs are good. You really kind of have to keep your eyes out on the name brand Crocs money wise. I have seen Outfitters list them around $50. Some shoe stores will sell them at $20. Then I go down the street to Big Lots or other closeout, and find them at $10.

sheepdog
08-10-2009, 09:03
Another vote for Crocs. Light, comfortable, and tough.

Just Lisa
08-10-2009, 10:23
thanks everyone!

Homer&Marje
08-10-2009, 10:42
croc knockoffs.

juma
08-11-2009, 07:28
new balance 790s - 7 oz each in a size 11 mens.

summermike
08-11-2009, 13:34
Waldies with the strap on the back.

Spokes
08-25-2009, 10:11
Crocs get my vote- just carry some Velcro One Wrap to add over your ankle strap during swift stream crossings.

Kerosene
08-25-2009, 11:34
I wore croc knockoffs for years, but this year I tried the neoprene slippers (mentioned above). I put an old pair of insoles in them so I could walk on rocks and stuff. They worked great and weigh nothing.Good idea to use a pair of old insoles inside the neoprene socks. I'll have to try that.

That said, I don't think I'd recommend this configuration as fording footwear.

Oh, and only nothing weighs nothing in my book. However, the neoprene slippers (they're more like socks) weigh 3 ounces, I believe.

garlic08
08-25-2009, 13:50
I wore croc knockoffs for years, but this year I tried the neoprene slippers (mentioned above). I put an old pair of insoles in them so I could walk on rocks and stuff. They worked great and weigh nothing.

I saw someone who took this idea step further and field-made a pair of crude flip-flops out of old insoles and string. Weighed less than an ounce, cost nothing, and worked.

Wags
08-25-2009, 17:32
i'd be hesitant to wear anything too thin. a kid who was kayaking w/ me this summer punctured his foot on some broken glass while wearing water shoes. it went right through the thin sole

JoshStover
08-25-2009, 20:34
i'd be hesitant to wear anything too thin. a kid who was kayaking w/ me this summer punctured his foot on some broken glass while wearing water shoes. it went right through the thin sole

That really sucks. I am a big kayaker(my second favorite thing to do) so Im on the river alot. I saw a guy last summer that was wearing crocs and he stepped on a piece of rebar( looked like the kind that holds a parking curb in place) and it went all the way through his Crocs and into his foot. He got messed up BAD. I guess it doesn't always matter how thick your sole is if you step on the right thing. You just gotta be careful where you step I guess. I think the flip-flops made out of the insoles are a pretty cool idea. I am big into the Three-R's and ReUsing is one of my fav's...

Capt.Scott
08-26-2009, 17:21
Mion Slcktide Thongs-no lie. Awesome for every trail use. Toe guards!

Tractor
08-26-2009, 17:43
crocs, the real ones. the heal strap doeys hold up very well compared to some knockoffs.

ChinMusic
08-26-2009, 18:03
I chose New Balance 920's AKA H2Flow.

http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3968857reg.jpg

Good for water, camping, and hiking.
That is my take on it as well. I use New Balance trial runners and just march through water without a care. I just loosen the laces at camp.

In winter I carry Nunatak down booties for warmth. In summer I go without "camp/water shoes".

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 18:44
Stopped carrying camp shoes. If I had to carry one Id go with crocs because of the weight. They pack pretty well also.

jjohn06
09-02-2009, 19:33
I ditched my camp shoes by Damsascus. Fording is minimal and if you have to get your feet wet, just take off your socks and pull out the insoles. Your feet don't get too wet that way.

David@whiteblaze
09-02-2009, 20:16
i dont have any, but how 'bout vibram five fingers?(u new it wud cum up...) I have thike enough heels to where i can easily walk a half-mile on 1/2- 1 in rocks. smaller than that is almost like a massage. I want to buy five-fingers because- come on, who is stupid enough to drag beer across a stream on the at? plus, theyre designed more for water than land so they arent going to stay soppin' wet 4 2 days.

ike1985
09-09-2009, 21:09
just loosen the laces on your hiking shoes, save the weight, save the money

David@whiteblaze
01-18-2010, 06:43
i dont have any, but how 'bout vibram five fingers?(u new it wud cum up...) I have thike enough heels to where i can easily walk a half-mile on 1/2- 1 in rocks. smaller than that is almost like a massage. I want to buy five-fingers because- come on, who is stupid enough to drag beer across a stream on the at? plus, theyre designed more for water than land so they arent going to stay soppin' wet 4 2 days.
Umm, if anyone read this, please excuse my Facebook slang... I got really into it the first few days.

ehasenmyer
01-18-2010, 15:34
Has anyone ever tried the Zinetic pocket slipper? http://www.pocketslippers.com/index.shtm

They look to be durable enough to use as water shoe and maybe even hike in in case of shoe fail. Anyone know?

Gator 65
01-20-2010, 14:44
Lisa,
Go to West Marine and get the style of crocs called "water crocs.".I used them when I need to go into the water around my boat and I also used them on my thru hike for a camp shoe as well as fording streams in Maine

wudhipy
01-23-2010, 22:56
crocks rock...I wear mine in the snow, best creek crossing for the money and weight.:D

kythruhiker
01-23-2010, 23:53
crocks rock...I wear mine in the snow, best creek crossing for the money and weight.:D

Also handy to stabilize cold drinks...

sbhikes
01-24-2010, 15:28
I stopped carrying camp/water shoes. But I have carried Crocs in the past and I think they are best. I even hiked in them when my feet were tired of my shoes. I even met someone whose primary hiking shoe was Crocs.

leaftye
01-25-2010, 13:08
I'm starting to think I want to carry camp shoes like Crocs, if only to have something to wear while airing out my socks and feet during breaks. I hate having to dig sand out of my feet before putting my socks back on.

leaftye
01-25-2010, 18:48
After looking for a while, I realize Crocs aren't exactly light. Now I'm thinking I may get running flats instead. They're lighter and this model looks like it'd be great in the desert and for fording creeks.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7544899/c/198674.html

1azarus
01-25-2010, 19:02
Good idea to use a pair of old insoles inside the neoprene socks. I'll have to try that.

That said, I don't think I'd recommend this configuration as fording footwear.

Oh, and only nothing weighs nothing in my book. However, the neoprene slippers (they're more like socks) weigh 3 ounces, I believe.

well, at 3 ounces they sure are the lightest weight 2nd footwear I can think of. i just had the pleasure of wearing them in snow one night, then rain the following night -- as camp shoes -- with a dry pair of socks they are pretty waterproof and pretty warm -- as well as super light. i have wondered about taking the superfeet out of my hiking shoes and using them in camp in the neoprene shoes -- but haven't ever tried it... i wouldn't want to carry the 2nd pair of insoles, though... i figure i'd move the insoles back and forth.

ShelterLeopard
01-25-2010, 20:09
thanks, Lisa

For the winter (well, early spring) I'm bringing a pair of Feathered Friends down booties. The beauty is, the down filled inner part comes out, so you can sleep in your sleeping bag with the booties on. Then for the late night privy runs, you can pull on the waterproof outer shell, and not worry about losing heat.

For not freezing temps, I bring birkenstock arizonas. That's right, they aren't lightweight or super waterproof, but they're the most comfortable in camp shoe EVER.

Tinker
01-25-2010, 20:15
thanks, Lisa

A well-broken-in running shoe that you know won't give you blisters if you're unsure that your hiking shoes won't. On my first week-long hike my heavy custom made boots gave me heel blisters. I had brought along old running shoes to use as camp shoes. They became my "boots" for the next few days.

Appalachian Tater
01-25-2010, 21:20
Cheap beach flip-flops are fine around camp and are great to have in those nasty hostel showers if you are at all susceptible to fungal infections between your toes. You can't ford in them but there is very little fording and your feet will probably be wet in those areas anyway. They cost $1 and weigh very, very little. Take a piece of duct tape and reinforce the hole on the toe end when they are new and they'll last your whole thru.

leaftye
01-28-2010, 20:03
I just picked up a pair of running flats...basically runner's racing shoes. They are 7 ounces, very well vented, and even have vents under the soles. This makes them lighter than Crocs, and secure as any regular shoe, and can vent water as fast or faster than water shoes. Also, since they are so thin, it's basically the barefoot experience with a tiny bit of protection.

Anyway, the model I got was the Saucony Grid Fastwitch 3 for about $70. I'll give them a shot this weekend.

leaftye
02-01-2010, 21:40
Used the new shoes for a creek ford on friday. I took out the insoles so they would dry out faster. I actually walked the last mile into camp without the insoles and the shoes mostly dried despite the night and cool temps except for the little cushioned part by the ankles. I really like them a lot so far.

SunnyWalker
02-27-2011, 21:23
Walmart equivalent of Crocs.

harbohiker
02-28-2011, 13:21
I went without for about 500 miles in 09' then got mailed a pair of those virbram toe shoes, y brother recomended i really really liked having them at camp it felt more like i was barefoot than with most shoes while still protecting my feet, and they were great on rainy days once you get in really good shape. The only downside is if your like me and get up alot at night to pee thyre kinda a pain to put on in the dark, and they dont really protect well against any poison ivy like a sneaker might

blitz1
03-03-2011, 22:13
Just today I received a pair of the spint aquatic nylon water shoes referred to above, which I odered after reading the posts. they are indeed VERY light and thin, and they were only 4$. they are very comfortable, but I don't know how long they'll last on the trail. I'll try them on my upcoming thru next month, but they are so light I'm afraid they won't take much abuse. I wouldn't trust them for a stream crossing.