PDA

View Full Version : Taba just finished the MST

Taba
08-07-2009, 19:46
I just completed the 916 mile hike for the second time at 4pm 8-7-09.
I am now hiking it back to Clingman's Dome to write the Manual for the other direction. It took me 82 days to complete the first leg and porjected to take about the same amount of time to go back.

Taba

Big Dawg
08-07-2009, 20:12
Congrats man! :sun

Phreak
08-07-2009, 21:09
Congratz!....

dreamsoftrails
08-07-2009, 22:13
good for you man. unique experience.

squirrel bait
08-07-2009, 22:54
How did you like the rain storm yesterday? What kind of protection did you find from the rain while on the beach? (not that you normally need protection but this was a good storm with alot of lightning.) How goes finding camping on the beach walk? Good luck and thanks for all the well thought out information, hard work and replies. Be safe in the high temperatures forecast for this weekend here on the outer banks.

Taba
08-08-2009, 12:52
Thank you for the support everybody!

I just barely missed the storm. I was sweating one minute and in a split second the wind started and the temperature dropped about 15 degrees. I left the beach and went to the Comfort Inn South and worked on the computer throughout the storm. I called it a day there and went to spend the night with some family in Southern Shores. They let me use their truck to drive back down to the hotel to finish the last 5.5 miles and then turned around and started the westbound venture by walking back to the hotel. So I am now 5.5 miles into the trek back.

As far as camping on the beach, if you carry a fishing pole and have a line in the water you are allowed to stay on the beach all night. But you can't camp. If you want to set up a tent there are several pay sites around. If you can't afford the fees for camping, I have been getting permission for all hikers to camp behind churches. I have a list of churches who have agreed to help us out in with this issue, these churches will be listed in the 2010 version of the Manual.

Taba

CrumbSnatcher
08-08-2009, 15:46
congratz!!!on the hike. a yo-yo? thats sweet!

squirrel bait
08-09-2009, 10:18
Nice picture of you at the eastern terminus (Jockeys Ridge) in the Sunday Coastland Times. Be safe.

Rain Man
08-09-2009, 10:23
Congratulations!

Rain:sunMan

slowandlow
08-09-2009, 12:08
I look forward to getting a copy of your revised MST guide when it is finished. Hike on.

squirrel bait
08-09-2009, 22:35
Sorry ya'll, I said Taba appeared at the eastern terminus (Jockeys Ridge) in the Sunday Coastland Times when actually he is standing in front of Bodie Island Lighthouse.

Walessp
08-10-2009, 11:11
WoooooHooooo!

Outlaw

Taba
08-14-2009, 13:49
Thank you, everybody!!! There is another article in the Coastland Times with more detail about the hike and the finish of the eastbound direction. That article was in Tuesday's paper. I am still on the Outer Banks. I took a couple of lazy days here and will be pushing on a little bit today and then back at it tomorrow.

Taba

Tennessee Viking
08-14-2009, 14:07
Hit me up when you hit the Triangle.

Taba
08-14-2009, 14:11
Hit me up when you hit the Triangle.

As soon as I get there you will be the first phone call. Thank you.

Taba

Taba
08-14-2009, 14:25
http://by112w.bay112.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=1&messageId=f4bb7e0f-5faf-44a1-a308-737c57055736&Aux=40|0|8CBE64AC2832670|

TABA at the Eastern terminus of the MST

Taba
08-14-2009, 14:27
http://by112w.bay112.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=2&messageId=5dcafb22-bb1d-4a4d-a9f3-9e4abec30421&Aux=44|0|8CBE83BD2667090|

Taba on the summit of Jockey's Ridge. This picture was taken by an 11 year old girl on vacation with her family.

Tennessee Viking
08-14-2009, 15:41
How are the beach and water temps?

Taba
08-14-2009, 16:27
I guess the pictures didn't work. The beaches are rainy right now and the water is cold on most days but refreshing on the hot days.

Taba

Nasty Dog Virus
08-14-2009, 18:32
Awesome! Congrats!

Taba
08-25-2009, 01:46
I am now in New Bern at a friend's house. I will be pushing forwards tomorrow. I have a few town errands but will still try to make 18 miles tomorrow to visit with more friends who own a grocery store and have offered to help any hiker who is on the MST. I will be celebrating my 35th birthday on the 28th of August, somewhere. I am planning on being at Interstate 85 by September 4th to catch a ride to a family reunion in Florida for the weekend. Then, it is back to hiking onwards to Clingman's Dome.

Taba

Taba
08-29-2009, 20:10
Now in Black Creek, 275 miles from Jockey's Ridge. I am pushing for 100 more miles in the next 7 days and will be taking 2-3 days off for my family reunion in Florida. I will then resume the hike immediately after. Will update again soon.

Taba

Taba
09-06-2009, 22:04
I made it to US-501 at the Arrowhead Inn north of Durham. Took a couple of days off to attend a family reunion in Savannah, GA and will be spending tomorrow on Tybee Island then will return to the trail on Tuesday. I have 533 miles left to do in 36 days. My plan is to summit Clingman's Dome on October 13th.

Taba

Taba
09-09-2009, 10:20
I am leaving Durham today. Heading towards the foothills and will soon be in the mountains. I can't wait to see what the climb is like southbound up to Mt. Mitchell. Northbound, it is a 3 day climb and a one day, 16 mile, downhill from US-70 to NC-80. This is where most of the major blowdowns were before the maintainers came out and cleared the trail. 35 more days and 533 more miles.

If anybody wants to join me out here for the day or weekend feel free to contact me and we can get a plan together. I have had a few people join me and have had wonderful experiences with them all. And now I will be on more established trail walk, the road walk will be ending shortly.

Taba

Taba
09-14-2009, 16:34
I am now in Walnut Cove and will be climbing Hanging Rock tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the mountains.

Taba

Tennessee Viking
09-14-2009, 18:15
If you haven't gone to the Depot Restaurant at Cody Creek in Dobson. Its a bit off the MST. 3 miles south of downtown Dobson on 601. A little bit on price. But the food is awesome. Chicken sandwiches the size of 2 hands. Big onion rings. Open Tuesdays thru Sundays. There is also a small chapel and country store for the tourists. A handful private cabins.

Latern Restaurant is a good cheap place for breakfast and lunch. One interesting item...brain and eggs.

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 18:30
Go Taba go! I must admit I'd be jealous but I REALLY like my own life. Yours is fun to watch though. Best of weather, luck and hiking.

Tennessee Viking
09-15-2009, 22:45
If I don't run into this next week, there is high bear activity at Craggy Gardens. A bullying bear has been running off picnicers.

Tennessee Viking
09-21-2009, 00:36
Ran into Taba this weekend. He is finally happy to be getting off the flat roads of the Piedmont any day now.

Chaco Taco
09-21-2009, 10:45
Ran into Taba this weekend. He is finally happy to be getting off the flat roads of the Piedmont any day now.

Where is he. Need to get him here and stay with us.

hikingshoes
09-21-2009, 11:11
I love brain & eggs with a Cathead biscuits and coffee.:banana
If you haven't gone to the Depot Restaurant at Cody Creek in Dobson. Its a bit off the MST. 3 miles south of downtown Dobson on 601. A little bit on price. But the food is awesome. Chicken sandwiches the size of 2 hands. Big onion rings. Open Tuesdays thru Sundays. There is also a small chapel and country store for the tourists. A handful private cabins.

Latern Restaurant is a good cheap place for breakfast and lunch. One interesting item...brain and eggs.

Grits
09-21-2009, 12:26
He should be between Laurel Springs and Boone today. Lots of rain and fog on the BRP today.

Taba
09-23-2009, 22:07
Hi everybody,
I am going into Boone tomorrow, Sept. 24th. I will only be there for a single night to catch up with some friends and to pick up my new Tevas to finish the hike in. The Teva company has been very supportive of my journeys. Just wanted to publicly thank them. I am nearing the finish at Clingman's Dome. The summit is now less than 300 miles and 3 weeks away. I am averaging 15 miles a day now in the mountains. This has been a wonderful adventure and couldn't have been accomplished without the support of my sponsors, my friends along the way and the new friends I met this year. Thank you to everybody. I have not completed it yet but I am so close that I can picture myself sleeping in my own bed already. I will try to keep updating my progress as I find computers in the next few weeks.

Thank you,
Taba
"There And Back Again" 2009

Bilge Rat
09-24-2009, 23:07
Taba it was great running into you and hanging out today! I see Teva is taking care of you.......nice box of SWAG!
Taba's current location as of today id Boone, NC

Tennessee Viking
09-28-2009, 10:17
I figure he is around Linville Gorge to Mt Mitchell this week. Going to be rough walk with all the heavy rain.

Chaco Taco
09-28-2009, 10:21
Weather is great now, nice and cool. Fall is arriving. Talked to Taba the other day and am hoping to go out and find him this coming weekend. Good luck dude. Hopefully we will see you soon

Grits
09-28-2009, 12:19
Taba took some 0 days in Boone and left yesterday I hiked with him some on the BRP he should close to Beacon Heights. He said he was looking foward to catching up with Chaco.

Tennessee Viking
09-28-2009, 13:30
Taba took some 0 days in Boone and left yesterday I hiked with him some on the BRP he should close to Beacon Heights. He said he was looking foward to catching up with Chaco.The Wilson/Harper Creek backcountry....lucky. I hope he packed a life preserver for all those creek crossings after all that rain.

Chaco Taco
09-28-2009, 17:55
We are hitting the Art Loab mid morning Sunday and gonna try and cross paths with Taba on Monday somewhere on the MTS and maybe give a little magic for his final stretch

Taba
10-03-2009, 09:51
There have 14 to 17 creek fordings and 1 long river ford in this past section. The water was cold but low. The trail down from Shortoff Mtn. is the worst mile and a half of my life. The trail is overgrown with thorny bushes and has dead trees blocking the path all over. I got cut up, my clothes got ripped, I cussed the entire time and promised that would never hike that stretch again, unless someone goes out to clean it up. I have complained about that section for the past 2 years.

Anyway, looking forward to getting over Mt. Mitchell and catching up with Chaco Taco. Scott Wales has become a great hiking partner. He has hiked around 30 or more miles with me. He plans to catch up with me again on Tuesday. The last time he joined me, he nearly had to push me along the trail. It is gettting harder to motivate myself keep going sometimes. I don't like cold weather and I am feeling fatigue. However, my determination to finish this journey is more than enough.

Thanks to everybody who has supported and encouraged me along the way. My finish date is now October 18th.

Taba

Tennessee Viking
10-03-2009, 20:24
There have 14 to 17 creek fordings and 1 long river ford in this past section. The water was cold but low. The trail down from Shortoff Mtn. is the worst mile and a half of my life. The trail is overgrown with thorny bushes and has dead trees blocking the path all over. I got cut up, my clothes got ripped, I cussed the entire time and promised that would never hike that stretch again, unless someone goes out to clean it up. I have complained about that section for the past 2 years.

Anyway, looking forward to getting over Mt. Mitchell and catching up with Chaco Taco. Scott Wales has become a great hiking partner. He has hiked around 30 or more miles with me. He plans to catch up with me again on Tuesday. The last time he joined me, he nearly had to push me along the trail. It is gettting harder to motivate myself keep going sometimes. I don't like cold weather and I am feeling fatigue. However, my determination to finish this journey is more than enough.

Thanks to everybody who has supported and encouraged me along the way. My finish date is now October 18th.

TabaI sent the notice in on your initial thru. Found out that Outward Bound maintains that section. Since it is a Linville Gorge trail, it is under adopter's responsibility. So we might have to call Pisgah office in Nebo for customer service.

Taba
10-07-2009, 22:26
I am now in Asheville with only 135 more miles to go. I will summit Clingman's Dome on October 18th. I will try to find a computer in between here and there to give another update.

If there is anybody out there between Asheville and Gatlinburg who woud like to help me finish I could use your support. The last few days have been cold and rainy and I hear that it will be more of the same from here on out. If you would like to help please call me at 561-319-2564. If I don't answer please leave me a message. There have been a lot of people from this site who have helped out along the way and I can't thank them enough. This trip has been long and challenging to both mind and body but worth every minute. Even though I constsantly complained through some sections.

Thanks again,
Taba

Taba
10-14-2009, 08:44
I made it to Waynesville before the rain started. I am now 53 miles from the finish. Rain is expected for the next 4 days and will then clear up for my summit day. I will be on top of Clingman's Dome on the 18th. This trip has been a lot of fun, and has also been a real challenge. I have accumulated a lot of information to update the eastbound version of the Manual and have the work done for a westbound version. Both Manuals will be out by February in time for next year's hiking season. Now to run to the finish line.

Taba

Tennessee Viking
10-14-2009, 08:55
I made it to Waynesville before the rain started. I am now 53 miles from the finish. Rain is expected for the next 4 days and will then clear up for my summit day. I will be on top of Clingman's Dome on the 18th. This trip has been a lot of fun, and has also been a real challenge. I have accumulated a lot of information to update the eastbound version of the Manual and have the work done for a westbound version. Both Manuals will be out by February in time for next year's hiking season. Now to run to the finish line.

TabaI will pass the finish line info on.

Just now take a real vacation afterwards.

Taba
10-15-2009, 19:37
I am back in Waynesville for one more night. I have gotten to Soco Gap and within 39 miles from the finish line. I am so ready to go home. It has been wet and cold with no views other than the whiteness of the cloud I have been walking through. I spent most of today above 5,000 feet and got close to 6,000 near Waterrock Knob. Tomorrow I will be just inside the Smokies and will be done with the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Taba