PDA

View Full Version : Thelma Marks Shelter

B Thrash
08-07-2009, 21:58
PA. Question: Is the Thelma Marks Shelter still there or has it been torn down?.

Lone Wolf
08-07-2009, 22:09
was torn down

B Thrash
08-07-2009, 22:28
Was another shelter built near where Thelma Marks Shelter was?.

ATSeamstress
08-07-2009, 22:32

Cove Mountain. We stopped there for lunch.

stranger
08-08-2009, 05:54
Wasn't that the shelter where the murderer took the guys gear and hiked sobo until someone approached him near Harpers Ferry, was it Maineak?

Lone Wolf
08-08-2009, 06:25
Wasn't that the shelter where the murderer took the guys gear and hiked sobo until someone approached him near Harpers Ferry, was it Maineak?

yes but it wasn't maineak

stranger
08-08-2009, 10:26
Thanks, must of heard wrong, you know how trail gossip goes, and I heard that story in 1995 so memory might have faded somewhat!

B Thrash
08-08-2009, 18:14
Cove Mountain. We stopped there for lunch.

Thanks for the information, am planning a trip for late September and may stay here, thanks again.

FritztheCat
08-08-2009, 23:36
I just read about this shelter in Model T's book "Walking with Ghost Whisperers". Excellent book. Sad story about the young couple that was murdered.

Tinker
08-09-2009, 14:36
The story on the murders at Thelma Marks shelter:
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/23/us/man-is-held-in-slayings-on-appalachian-trail.html
I first read of it in Appalachian Hiker II, Ed Garvey's update of his first book about his 1970 hike.

ki0eh
08-10-2009, 20:20
Wish I had a better link for a more recent development to the story but the more conventional news article has rotted off: http://cpa-abolitionist.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html

lilricky
02-19-2010, 01:28
So we now have 2 Cove Mountain Shelters? 1 in VA and 1 in PA? ok... How about we rename the "new" Cove Mountain Shelter in PA back to Thelma Marks again?

ki0eh
02-22-2010, 21:29
So we now have 2 Cove Mountain Shelters? 1 in VA and 1 in PA?

That's confusing only to folks like my ex-girlfriend - was to meet her in Davenport, Iowa and gave directions like "take I-80 west to I-280 and get off the first exit after crossing the Mississippi River" and she wound up in downtown Toledo, Ohio. Good thing I didn't marry her! :D

sasquatch2014
02-22-2010, 22:16
That's confusing only to folks like my ex-girlfriend - was to meet her in Davenport, Iowa and gave directions like "take I-80 west to I-280 and get off the first exit after crossing the Mississippi River" and she wound up in downtown Toledo, Ohio. Good thing I didn't marry her! :D

I told my wife that the reason for the Welcome signs at state borders is to let her know when she missed her exit. It's funny but it has also happened. very sad indeed.

Roche
02-22-2010, 22:42
That's confusing only to folks like my ex-girlfriend - was to meet her in Davenport, Iowa and gave directions like "take I-80 west to I-280 and get off the first exit after crossing the Mississippi River" and she wound up in downtown Toledo, Ohio. Good thing I didn't marry her! :DWest on I-80 to I-280, first exit after crossing the M something River - got it. Could happen to anyone who can't distinquish the Mississippi from the Maumee.:eek:

Roche
02-22-2010, 22:44
I told my wife that the reason for the Welcome signs at state borders is to let her know when she missed her exit. It's funny but it has also happened. very sad indeed.Maybe that's why many outlet malls are located just over state lines.:-?

IronGutsTommy
01-13-2011, 13:47
two shelters with the same name, at least theyre in different states. what gets really redundant is how many shelters have the words "spring" "rock" or "mountain" or such variations. peters mountain shelter,cove mountain shelter, quarry (rock) gap, rocky mountain shelter (oo a two-for!) raven rock, rocky run, gravel (rock) springs, pas mountain... and those are basically just all in a row. new shelter namers... one word.. Thesaurus

Tenderheart
01-13-2011, 13:59

Back in 2000, the new Cove Mtn. shelter was being constructed next to the old shelter. The old Thelma Marks Shelter was still there but pretty ratty looking. Earl Shafer did not believe in floors in AT shelters, hence the old shelter floor was dirt. He either built the structure himself or assisted in its construction.

litefoot 2000

IronGutsTommy
01-13-2011, 14:59
yeah the murders probably prompted the decision to replace it both in area and in name. i stayed at cove and other areas that were supposed to be sketchy/spooky. only time i felt spooked was those areas along the trail where whether its the shading/lighting mixture, time of day or climate, the whole scene looks fabricated, like youre walking along a movie set, on a stage. the view seems to crisp like its in HD or something, and although you know youre alone, like the eyes in some old paintings, those areas always seem to make you feel as though you are being watched.