PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Trail Food ?

Pacific Tortuga
08-08-2009, 17:27
Just went to the Orange County Fair in CA.. Pretty sad, city dwellers trying to act country. Beside 10 $ beers :eek: I saw a food choice that I thought would go over big on the Trail. 'Chocolate Coverd Bacon', was the new hit.
Made me wonder, is there a better Trail food than that ?

Egads
08-08-2009, 18:07
Sure there is: skinless chicken and broccoli with whole wheat linguine

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52962

Hikes in Rain
08-08-2009, 19:07
I'm sorry, but chocolate covered bacon?? Ew!!

Big Dawg
08-08-2009, 21:56
Chocolate Coverd Bacon

Sweet & salty,,,, sounds delicious.

I actually saw this on the news this morning, highlighting a local fair that sold CCB. Most people interviewed thought it was strangely delicious. Sounds easy to make. I might have to whip up a batch.

shelterbuilder
08-08-2009, 22:21
Sweet & salty,,,, sounds delicious.

I actually saw this on the news this morning, highlighting a local fair that sold CCB. Most people interviewed thought it was strangely delicious. Sounds easy to make. I might have to whip up a batch.

Like the commercial says - "IT'S BACON!"

...and everything tastes better with chocolate.:D

Hoop Time
08-08-2009, 22:30
Like the commercial says - "IT'S BACON!"

...and everything tastes better with chocolate.:D

and everything tastes better with pork fat.

No doubt it's a winner. And right up there with the deep fried twinkies and corn dogs on the food pyramid.

spindle
08-11-2009, 09:41
Chocolate covered bacon on a stick.

Maybe with chopped cashews stuck on.

scope
08-11-2009, 09:45
Is it dark chocolate? Or at least something less creamy than typical milk chocolate?

Pacific Tortuga
08-11-2009, 09:47
Not sure, I try to stay away from such food combo's.
Unless, I'm hiking that is.

Feral Bill
08-11-2009, 10:27
Chocolate :)

Bacon :)

Chaocolate and bacon together :mad:

peanuts
08-11-2009, 10:31
actually, chocolate and bacon together is yummy..

TD55
08-11-2009, 10:38
If you added a thin layer of peanutbutter to the bacon and added some dried bannana chips you could call in an "Elvis bar".

Disney
08-11-2009, 10:57
Deep Fried Chocolate Covered Bacon.

Blissful
08-11-2009, 11:07
At first I went - yuck. Then I read the posts and could see where it might be interesting to try. But is the chocolate dark, semisweet, or milk?

Reid
08-11-2009, 11:52
What ever happened to old school jumbalaya?

Fiddleback
08-11-2009, 12:30
Here's a thread from earlier in the summer on the same topic, http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=512107219;t=9991124073;hl=b acon+and+chocolate .

But this one tells how to order similar stuff online.:sun

Be still, my little Zocors...:D

FB

Frick Frack
08-11-2009, 12:40
Just went to the Orange County Fair in CA.. Pretty sad, city dwellers trying to act country. Beside 10 $ beers :eek: I saw a food choice that I thought would go over big on the Trail. 'Chocolate Coverd Bacon', was the new hit.

Somethin' Else (AKA Jukebox) had some chocolate bars with bacon sent to him last year a few times and he shared with us....excellent stuff (pork fat rules)!

Skinless chicken? The skin is the best part! Just like steak/pork that is where the flavor comes from. Yummmm.....fat is goooood......

Frick Frack
08-11-2009, 12:43
At first I went - yuck. Then I read the posts and could see where it might be interesting to try. But is the chocolate dark, semisweet, or milk?
Dark....
http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/bacon_exotic_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars

hikingshoes
08-14-2009, 21:30
that sounds great Reid!:banana
What ever happened to old school jumbalaya?

Funkmeister
08-14-2009, 22:09
How much does an ultralight defib setup cost? What kind of batteries does it take?

Tin Man
08-15-2009, 05:57
How much does an ultralight defib setup cost? What kind of batteries does it take?

not needed. just take 2 lipitors wid dat and yea be fine.

Jim Adams
08-15-2009, 08:46
Chocolate covered beer cans...flake off the chocolate and when done eating, drink the beer. That bacon ***** will kill ya!

geek

LaurieAnn
08-15-2009, 09:58

lol - I know you were kidding but they actually do have defibs that are built-in

My father-in-law has one - it's about the size of a disc player and is sattelite controlled. I think he gets the battery replaced every 5 years or so. Sure gave him a jolt when it accidentally went off (he was working on the garden tractor motor). He said it felt like a horse kicked him in the chest.

The Weasel
08-15-2009, 11:12

Yes, there are several better backpacking foods, all of which were available at the OC Fair: Deep fried Snickers Bars are, of course, the best for ultralighters, although the French fried peanut butter and banana sandwich holds up well, sometimes for weeks.

TW

Dicentra
08-15-2009, 11:15

I saw this at World Market.

Chocolate and Bacon (http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/bacon_exotic_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/3645219151_9ce6502c50.jpg

Pacific Tortuga
08-15-2009, 11:25

Chocolate and Bacon (http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/bacon_exotic_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/3645219151_9ce6502c50.jpg

I have never seen any of this before this year. Looks tasty, I just shouldn't eat this stuff unless I'm hiking on trips longer than 3 days. It is good to know.

Tin Man
08-15-2009, 12:37
just freeze a big ole steak and on night two you are doin' some fine dinin' :cool:

Dogwood
08-15-2009, 17:54
The Perfect Trail Food? Manna from heaven.

Rain Man
08-15-2009, 23:41

Saw it? WE bought it and ate it! Whole Foods in Nashville. LOL

Rain:sunMan

Maddog
08-16-2009, 02:28
If you added a thin layer of peanutbutter to the bacon and added some dried bannana chips you could call in an "Elvis bar". mmm...elvis bar!:D

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 13:26
what a way to ruin perfectly good chocolate... really! lol

Tin Man
08-16-2009, 19:59

everyone has their own idea of what 'food' is. so, if they want to 'ruin' bacon or chocolate, so what? the important thing is to get hike sustaining calories.

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 21:24
I was kidding (see the lol) :p

Tin Man
08-16-2009, 21:29
i ain't all that serious myself, but you did say 'seriously' :)

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 21:51
no... I said... "what a way to ruin perfectly good chocolate... really! lol" :p

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 21:51
okay now I am just being a brat!

Tin Man
08-16-2009, 21:59

really? :)

saimyoji
08-16-2009, 22:04

chocolate covered brats.....yummmm

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons/249/2498060/46_2008/82/bratwurst-2.jpg

Wise Old Owl
08-16-2009, 23:55

7ah Lead Acid, of course.....:eek:

I like your sense of humor!

chefjason
08-17-2009, 08:50
The idea of sweet and salty is as old as culinary arts itself, HOWEVER, there are a few holy of holy's that should never be fouled up...bacon being one fo them. Filet mignon being another (if you cook it past medium and/or put any steak sauce on it you are a Bennadict Arnold to chefs across the globe). I have paired chocolate with many a thing in my day, but bacon is the food of the gods and don't need nuthin' with it! Ezcept maybe a good stuffed pheasant breast with the bacon wrapped around it!

LaurieAnn
08-17-2009, 16:27
The idea of sweet and salty is as old as culinary arts itself, HOWEVER, there are a few holy of holy's that should never be fouled up...bacon being one fo them. Filet mignon being another (if you cook it past medium and/or put any steak sauce on it you are a Bennadict Arnold to chefs across the globe). I have paired chocolate with many a thing in my day, but bacon is the food of the gods and don't need nuthin' with it! Ezcept maybe a good stuffed pheasant breast with the bacon wrapped around it!

I want to come to your house for dinner... :)

chefjason
08-18-2009, 07:59

I was thinking the same about you after seeing the pics of your trail food! Some of that stuff looked good enough to serve some of the wedding caterings I have done! Nice. I am going to take some notes from you for sure.

LaurieAnn
08-18-2009, 10:07
Thanks :) We'd be a dangerous duo on the trail. I'm of the mind that if it isn't good enough that I could serve it to a guest in my home then it isn't coming on a backcountry trip with me. These are my vacations after all... and lightweight food doesn't have to be over-salted, mushy textured or mere sustenance... it just takes a little pre-trip planning. Of course, thru-hikes are a different beast and sometimes you just have to deal with what's available (I think that's why I like mailed parcels).

chefjason
08-18-2009, 11:36
Thanks :) We'd be a dangerous duo on the trail. I'm of the mind that if it isn't good enough that I could serve it to a guest in my home then it isn't coming on a backcountry trip with me. These are my vacations after all... and lightweight food doesn't have to be over-salted, mushy textured or mere sustenance... it just takes a little pre-trip planning. Of course, thru-hikes are a different beast and sometimes you just have to deal with what's available (I think that's why I like mailed parcels).

If/when I get a thru hike going I am gonna have YOU send me stuff!

LaurieAnn
08-18-2009, 12:34
If/when I get a thru hike going I am gonna have YOU send me stuff!

sure... we'll just have to figure out the timing with Canada Post and the USPS.

Pacific Tortuga
08-18-2009, 12:47
Cool, this is better than e-Harmony. Trail fair at its best, would be good to hang with these homies on the Trail.

chefjason
08-18-2009, 13:07
Cool, this is better than e-Harmony. Trail fair at its best, would be good to hang with these homies on the Trail.
Sure. I will bring my wife and four children and LaurieAnn can bring her husband and son. Wait, did I just suggest swinging?:datz

LaurieAnn
08-18-2009, 13:25
Sure. I will bring my wife and four children and LaurieAnn can bring her husband and son. Wait, did I just suggest swinging?:datz

:eek: Okay Tarzan! :p

Oh wait... you meant something else! :o

A gathering would be fun. Albeit I don't know how those of you with more than one child handle things. I'm finding one a lot of work (although it's getting better now that he carries most of his gear).

LaurieAnn
08-18-2009, 13:41
Now back to the topic... there are some odd chocolate combinations that I adore for the trail.

Lindt Dark Chocolate with Chili Pepper
Lindt Dark Chocolate with Fleur de Sel

Yum!

The chili pepper variety just leaves a little tingle in your mouth - towards the back of the palate. The fleur de sel has that salty/sweet thing going on which is good.

Buffet
09-01-2009, 17:50
Bacon is good, if you butter and sausage it up before slathering chocolate on it!

In all seriousness, the best food I have found is in the bulk section at health food stores. The dehydrated re fried beans in particular, and if you don't dry your own veggies and fruit, that. The beans really are great, a few tortillas.....BLOPPIE!

Cool AT Breeze
09-01-2009, 20:07
I haven't looked through the whole thread but the pefect trail breakfast is a cup of coffee and a big honey bun. The 5.5oz honey bun has about 865 cals. 440 from fat. About the time the carbs leave you flat the fat kicks in and slow burns till lunch. Eat them and sit behind a desk and you will be a lardass.

Wise Old Owl
09-01-2009, 20:19
I'm sorry, but chocolate covered bacon?? Ew!!

there is a new Reading program here at Wb that does not involve spray paint from youngsters, so as an exempt person you are now required as a WB member to read all posts every night as part of linear transfer, as part of the new program set up by Wadsworth speed reading,,,, please avoid light transfer from laptops and monitors as that is so not part of the Reading program.:eek:

please please review or search on the thread on chocolate covered bacon.

Wise Old Owl
09-01-2009, 20:24

La is'ts Dark - Chocolate from the other side of the ..... Galaxy

Now back to the topic... there are some odd chocolate combinations that I adore for the trail.

Lindt Dark Chocolate with Chili Pepper
Lindt Dark Chocolate with Fleur de Sel

Yum!

The chili pepper variety just leaves a little tingle in your mouth - towards the back of the palate. The fleur de sel has that salty/sweet thing going on which is good.

Wise Old Owl
09-01-2009, 20:40

I am soooo slighted.

to answer the original quest...........water crackers.

Jester2000
09-01-2009, 21:08
I saw this thread's title, and at first naturally assumed that I knew the thread's topic -- until I noticed the question mark, and knew that that kind of uncertainty could not possibly be associated with cheese.

Cheese -- for certain the perfect trail food! The perfect life food!
Eat it with bacon or chocolate! Bacon and chocolate! Curds and whey! The Captain and Tenille! Fanfonduetastic!

Sooner or later you'll all reach the conclusion that the answer is cheese -- Regardless of the question! What's the perfect trail food? Cheese. How far are we hiking today? Cheese. Wool or synthetic? Cheese. Can you smell what The Rock is cooking? Cheese!

If your question is whether or not you're ever going to fall in love, the deep meaningful kind, the kind where even if everything else in the world is wrong being with that one person makes everything all right then my answer is "I don't know." But if your question is how that person is gonna win your heart, well, the answer, my friend, is cheese.

Bacon In all seriousness, the best food I have found is in the bulk section at health food stores. . .

The best food is, in fact, found in the cheese aisle.

chefjason
09-01-2009, 22:54
I saw this thread's title, and at first naturally assumed that I knew the thread's topic -- until I noticed the question mark, and knew that that kind of uncertainty could not possibly be associated with cheese.

Cheese -- for certain the perfect trail food! The perfect life food!
Eat it with bacon or chocolate! Bacon and chocolate! Curds and whey! The Captain and Tenille! Fanfonduetastic!

Sooner or later you'll all reach the conclusion that the answer is cheese -- Regardless of the question! What's the perfect trail food? Cheese. How far are we hiking today? Cheese. Wool or synthetic? Cheese. Can you smell what The Rock is cooking? Cheese!

If your question is whether or not you're ever going to fall in love, the deep meaningful kind, the kind where even if everything else in the world is wrong being with that one person makes everything all right then my answer is "I don't know." But if your question is how that person is gonna win your heart, well, the answer, my friend, is cheese.

The best food is, in fact, found in the cheese aisle.
Um, anyone else love to see this guys expression when all that cheese turns his lower intestines into the 75/85 connector at morning rush hour with a slight drizzle...in January? Backed up for miles and miles and miles and.................................

chefjason
09-01-2009, 22:58
I haven't looked through the whole thread but the pefect trail breakfast is a cup of coffee and a big honey bun. The 5.5oz honey bun has about 865 cals. 440 from fat. About the time the carbs leave you flat the fat kicks in and slow burns till lunch. Eat them and sit behind a desk and you will be a lardass.
Logic sounds solid. But, you gotta have proteins too. No proteins means no muscular repair. Ipso facto, muscle fatigue and soreness.

turtle fast
09-01-2009, 23:37
Chocolate covered bacon was the big hit at the Wisconsin State Fair...they sold thousands of them and it hit the national news syndicates. I think more fairs are looking for that "crazy" food to boost attendance.

Cool AT Breeze
09-02-2009, 17:28
Logic sounds solid. But, you gotta have proteins too. No proteins means no muscular repair. Ipso facto, muscle fatigue and soreness.
Lunch and dinner are protien. Town food is fresh veggies, fruit and meat.Trail food is carbs and fat.

chefjason
09-03-2009, 11:02
Lunch and dinner are protien. Town food is fresh veggies, fruit and meat.Trail food is carbs and fat.

Spoken like a true hiker. I conceed.

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 12:51
Um, anyone else love to see this guys expression when all that cheese turns his lower intestines into the 75/85 connector at morning rush hour with a slight drizzle...in January? Backed up for miles and miles and miles and.................................

Never having to poop in the woods is one of the side benefits of my diet.

chefjason
09-03-2009, 12:58
Never having to poop in the woods is one of the side benefits of my diet.
But don't you eventually get that funny taste in the back of your mouth? Then your eyes turn brown.

ragincajun
03-25-2010, 04:40
oooh jambalaya , i will try and do cookoffs at shelters every once in awhile for those southbounders this year but overall id say perfect trail food would be a mix of hard cheese crumbles like parmesan mixed with wasabi beans some other dried veggies mixed with a good tropical variety trail mix with dried gunger too must also include a good variety of nuts,fruit,dried veggies,jeky pieces both chicken and beef jerky or ostrich or buffallo jerky

Lishajoya
09-07-2010, 19:37
well as I have said... ragincajun...you can cook for me anytime...