PDA

View Full Version : How to get to HF, WV?

tribes
07-18-2004, 15:38
Is amtrak my best bet to get from the NY metro area to Harpers Ferry? If so how far is the train station to the trail?? I recall seeing a station near the footbridge over the river but do not recall if this was an amtrak station. :-?

Pencil Pusher
07-18-2004, 15:40
http://www.amtrak.com

Mala
07-18-2004, 15:48
Amtrak station is about .2 or so the west. Just down the hill from the outfitter.

Skyline
07-18-2004, 15:52
Take Amtrak to Union Station in DC. Then you have the option of Amtrak to HF if that fits your schedule, or there are commuter trains that also go to HF.

Footnotes
07-18-2004, 20:59
I live in Harper's Ferry and rode the train to Washington, DC everyday for 13.5 years. Take Amtrak to Union Station in DC. Buy a ticket for the MARC commuter train to HF. One-way will cost about $8-$10. I only bought monthly tickets and am not sure of the exact price. The trip takes about 1 hr 20 minutes. Not all trains go to HF. Many stop at Brunswick, MD which is about 2 miles down the river from the hostel and 3 miles from HF.

The first train to HF is Train #877 at 4:55 PM. The next one is Train 879 at 5:35 PM. If you don't mind asking the conductor if he knows of someone going to HF or you walk you can get a train to Brunswick at 1:45PM,3:35 PM, and 4:25 PM. A few of the conductors are real jerks and won't help you by making an announcement, but most will help you out.
Foot Notes

Pencil Pusher
07-18-2004, 21:34
I live in Harper's Ferry and rode the train to Washington, DC everyday for 13.5 years. The trip takes about 1 hr 20 minutes.
Well you certainly were the best reference for this thread. But near two hours each way, from doorstep to office? Aye carumba, either times were tough or they were paying a pretty penny. That's a lot of commuting, day in and day out!

Footnotes
07-19-2004, 10:14
Pencil Pusher, thanks for the reply and interest. The answer is the pay was good, but it made an old man out of me before my time. It also had serious effects on the health i.e. bleeding ulcers, bells palsey etc. Alas, I retired last November and have not looked back. The health is great now. I managed a data network for a large Government agency.

Foot Notes