PDA

View Full Version : Highest Bowl

WesleyKnowlesEsq
08-09-2009, 17:03
I love hiking on Vermont's Long Trail and its side trails, especially in the Middlebury Snow Bowl area of the Breadloaf Wilderness, which is in the
Green Mountain National Forest. As measured on the Long Trail (not as the crow flies), this is about 30 miles north of where the Long Trail
diverges from the Appalachian Trail at Sherburne Pass / Pico Peak.

I remember years ago seeing on a topo map (maybe in the "Bread Loaf" section of the Green Mountain Club's Long Trail Guide?) a little natural
bowl, situated on or near the rim of Middlebury Snow Bowl, called "Highest Bowl". I believe it was called that because it was the highest altitude
natural bowl in the Middlebury Snow Bowl area.

I'd love to hike there. Can anyone tell me exactly where it is and how to get there? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Quoddy
08-09-2009, 18:01
I know that there is a High Ridge and a High Pass in that distinct, Middlebury Snow Bowl area, but have never seen or heard the term High Bowl. It's certainly easy to reach the snow bowl area since it's in close proximity to and just south of the pass (with parking) on Vt Route 125 between Middlebury and Hancock.

WesleyKnowlesEsq
08-09-2009, 21:02
...but can you tell me WHERE in the Middlebury Snow Bowl area that High Ridge (or High Pass) might be found?

CowHead
08-10-2009, 09:59
I bowl a 287 once son has got a 300, that was my Highest bowl

Deadeye
08-10-2009, 14:37
Ihave never seen or heard the term High Bowl

I'm with Quoddy - the term "bowl" as far as I know is only used by ski areas around here, and I can only think of a few others locally that use the term...

I think that unless you can find your old map (I have some, but have never seen the spot you're referring to), you're out of luck.