PDA

View Full Version : How many Thru Hikers over 60?

glessed
07-18-2004, 18:03
Since I am planning on doing a thru hike some day, I am curious how many over 60 have accomplished this feat. The few folks I've seen on the trail were under 35. I would assume that the greatest numbers are between 22 and 32. Those folks appeared to be very fit and spry. I want to be like that some day.

stickman
07-18-2004, 18:44
Glessed, I can't answer your question, but I too hope to do it some day, and its going to have be a retirement project for me (mortgage, two kids going to college soon, a job I really like, etc. Quitting my job to do a thru hike is out of the question). I'll watch with interest to see if anyone has any stats on older hikers, but I figure it isn't how many other old farts are out there, but how strong I can hike that will really count when the time comes. In the meantime, I'm a happy section hiker, mostly with my teenage son.

Lobo
07-18-2004, 20:02
Grayheads have power! They have plenty of time to do the hike because they are retired, have the money to buy the proper equipment and money to spend in towns for supplies and lodging. Also they probably have the support from their mate back home.

I hiked my hike when I was 53 and was impressed when I met a few long distance hikers who were 71 years old. Remember the oldest person to thru-hike the AT was Earl Shaffer in 1998 at the age of 79!

I believe that it is not what kind of pack you have on your back or the amount of muscle on your bones that gets you to Katahdin, but what is in your heart and your mind.

walkin' wally
07-18-2004, 20:22
I want to thru-hike in a few years after I retire. I will be over 60 and I hope to give it a good shot. I have been doing a lot of hiking in Maine and I think that will help my conditioning but a lot of folks that post here have said that the mental part is harder.
Having a good support person back home will help me a lot.
I am really looking forward to not going back to my work situation for good, and hiking the trail will be a great way for me to get many years of that lifestyle out of my system. It will be nice not having to deal with that anymore but for me quitting now is out of the question too.

Mala
07-18-2004, 20:32
There will be many Baby Boomers on the trail in the coming years. There's plenty now.

weary
07-19-2004, 06:33
I celebrated my 64th birthday in May 1993, the year that I walked from Springer to Katahdin.

I'm not technically a thru hiker. 600 miles with an 11-year-old grandson, who needed the walk more than I needed all the white blazes slowed me down some. And a never totally diagnosed physical problem forced a late summer 10-day break.

Though I've never been particularly athletic, I sense I could still do a thru hike 11 years later. The trail is hard, but not prohibitively so. One can always find an excuse to quit. But most people in reasonable health and the desire can do a thru hike, regardless of age.

A sense of curiosity helps. Learn to observe and appreciate the infinite variations of natural things and events -- including the people -- one finds on the trail and the task of a thru hike becomes easier and more enjoyable.

No one really knows the age of the oldest thru hiker. But Margery and Earle Town who run The Cabin hostel in Andover frequently tell me of hikers who are in their early 80s who are thru hiking.

Having said all this, I may test my hiking ability next weekend on Katahdin. Last summer with a late start because of morning rain I managed to get almost to the tableland before time forced a turning back. Then I was still recovering from surgery that replaced a heart valve with a bit of pig skin. Another year, but with a stronger heart. I shall see.

It's not totally set as yet. I don't have reservations. But a party with reservations has a member that is talking of backing out. If he does, I'll tag along.

We'll be backpacking into Chimney Pond this year, which makes summitting a bit easier than the Hunt Trail, which serves as the AT.

I still dream of another thru hike attempt. But I've become so involved in land trust matters, that it's difficult to break away. I retired at age 62, but somehow I haven't stopped working -- I just stopped earning money.

Weary

Jersey Bob
07-19-2004, 09:29
at least 10 characters

Singletrack
07-19-2004, 09:52
I fall into the over 60 category, and thru hiked in 2000. I see no reason, if someone maintains reasonable fitness, they could not thru hike up until their 80s. And a little luck. I still enjoy long distance hiking, and plan on doing it until I can hike no more. My recent hike from Katahdin-Harpers Ferry ended about 2 weeks ago, just before Bemis Stream (SOBO). I caught my toe on a root, and fell backwards, falling on my ankle and foot underneath my butt. I tried to walk it off, but could not. I forded Bemis Stream, to a dirt road, where I got lucky and hitched a ride to Rangeley, where I holed up for 8 days with Bob Obrien at the Gull Pond Lodge Hostel. Hoping that I only had a sprain, I put off seeing a doctor. Then finally seeing a doctor and x-rays, I have a fracture of my right ankle. I am home in Georgia now, disapointed, but never discouraged. Plan on returning to the trail as soon as I can. Great to meet Mrs. Gorp, Ferryman, and Walking Home. Members here at White Blaze. I plan on hiking up into my 80s. With a little luck.

Grampie
07-19-2004, 10:38
Go for it. Age shouldn't matter all that much. I was 66 years old when I did my thru. Met quite a few older folks who had sucessfull hikes. :sun

Jaybird
07-19-2004, 12:37
don't know the exact numbers for Senior hikers...but, i have my AARP card..& have been section-hiking now for the last 3 years (120+ miles per year) & have grey hair (what i have left) & beard & plan to keep hiking til i get to Katahdin! (my own 20-year-plan) :D

recently, i entered the TN Senior Games (Olympics) in the Cycling events (they dont have hiking events yet!) & took a couple of BRONZE medals home...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4122/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500

but, you are correct most hikers i encounter are in the 20-something category...usually just out of college, before their first "real" job, or are retired.

Moon Monster
07-19-2004, 15:25
I met a gentleman on the AT in 2003 who was 80 years old and on his fifth 2,000 mile trek, the last 3 or so of which had been in consecutive years (he had done some flip-flops broken over winters), and I think all of his hikes were later in life.

He was certainly an outlier for an 80-yr old, but surely still an inspiration for 60-somethings.