PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent dilema

Squeamish
08-09-2009, 21:56
hi there,

i am wondering if any of you have an opinion on the new Sub Lite and the Squall 2 by henry shires. I am in the market and stumped. Thanks!

Squeamish

P.S. Thanks to all who helped our crew on our recent Roan High Knob to Kinkora trek!

rpenczek
08-11-2009, 08:42
The Squall has more floor space (room for a pack or a buddy) and the Squall looks to have better ventilation in the rain (look at the lower vent on your other choice, it will have to be closed in the rain.) Of course, this comes at a 10oz weight increase.

bigcranky
08-11-2009, 10:30
Is this for solo use, or for two people?

Blissful
08-11-2009, 11:13
I have the Squall 2 -
Cons: single wall so can't really sit in it if the bugs are bad, lower ceiling head so not able to sit too well if raining and you're caught inside, not freestanding so tough with tent pads, two people can fit in it but your bags will get wet from condensation (esp in the rain)
Pros: super lightweight, real good for fall and spring camping, 2 people can use it in a pinch but roomy for one person and your pack

gravityman
08-11-2009, 14:05
Wife and I thrued with a squall 2. We loved it and camped most nights after April. We found it had plenty of room for us...

take-a-knee
08-11-2009, 14:58
Wife and I thrued with a squall 2. We loved it and camped most nights after April. We found it had plenty of room for us...

Yes, this is no tiny two person tent, plenty of room.

Squeamish
08-11-2009, 16:55
This is for one person plus gear. Maybe someone that is really small but probably not.

bigcranky
08-11-2009, 18:28
This is for one person plus gear. Maybe someone that is really small but probably not.

I own or have used the original Squall and Rainshadow, and the Double Rainbow. I really like the door on the long side of the tent, like the DR, rather than at the front, like the Squall. Just a personal preference -- makes it easier to get in and out, and provides more views. I've been using the DR as a solo shelter, with two doors for ventilation and lots of room for gear.

So I guess my suggestion would be to look at the Rainbow for a solo shelter. I think it's about the same weight as a Squall.

mudcap
08-12-2009, 12:28
I have a Squall II and love it. I use it solo and have a ton of room.