PDA

View Full Version : How to convince the boss?

ac2rivers
08-10-2009, 06:32
I am trying to figure out how to convince my boss to let me take off the do a thru hike. Was wondering what approach people have taken to help ensure they return to a good company. It is my dream job with the best possible company to work for. I appreciate any input.

Jeff
08-10-2009, 06:47
Just be upfront and give them plenty of notice.

If you are a valuable employee they should welcome you back at the end of your hike. Good, hardworking and smart employees are hard to come by.

Tractor
08-10-2009, 08:22
Unless it is a small company, you may also need to convince your boss's boss as well as HR. Carefully listen and note what information comes back to you if it is a YES from the boss. LOA may or may not come with "strings" you wish to have at this stage. Best of luck!

Tennessee Viking
08-10-2009, 08:27
Some companies will accept a thru hike as a sabbatical or put in for temporary leave of absence. Just state it will increase your leadership skills.

But just be up front and see if anyone at your work can pick up your duties or if they can temp out.

Reid
08-10-2009, 08:30
Welcome to section hiking!

RevLee
08-10-2009, 10:16
I let my manager know a couple of years ago that I was planning to thru-hike. First, it was so far off it wasn't an immediate concern to my manager, but it did plant the seed. Second, it enabled us to talk about my projects and planning them so one would not come due during the hike. Now it's such an old topic that's it is just accepted. I've also been doing a lot of documenting of procedures, so others can handle my work while I'm gone.

My friend who will be starting with me, his job situation has been more dynamic. He's had his current position for less than a year, and finally broached the subject just a few weeks ago. His management has only given him 8-10 weeks off, so he can do roughly the first half.

Just be upfront and honest about your plans. See what you can offer to do in advance to help tide the business over while you are gone. (Go the extra mile :rolleyes:)

Deadeye
08-10-2009, 14:33
One of my employees wanted a LOA for a special 6-month trip. couldn't give it to him, but told him he'd be welcome back if we had an opening. He left in February, and we just re-hired him for September. It worked out. Take your chances - there are lots of jobs out there, but not many guarantees.

The Weasel
08-10-2009, 14:42
From a lot of experience in human resources issues, I give you the following:

1) Do a 'stealth' investigation about whether it is possible that you'll be given the time off. Do this by trying to find out if others at your work level and experience have been given time off. One tipoff is to see how women who have taken extended maternity leaves have been (a) treated and (b) talked about. Since women are entitled to maternity leave by law, unlike you, if they are criticised for taking the time or otherwise dealt with adversely, you may take it as very possible that you will be, also.

2) If you are not a very, very highly rated employee, you risk not being given a job no matter what is said now, unless you get an ironclad agreement, which isn't bloody likely. There are a lot of job seekers chasing a limited number of jobs, and the person who takes your job today is showing greater job-loyalty thatn you and may be rewarded for it.

3) You stand a real risk of not getting promotions or other optional benefits, since you're showing (in the eyes of some) less than total loyalty to your job. (Forget that few employers feel loyalty to their employees; they expect the reverse.) You may also lose seniority or other benefits you already have, such as getting lesser medical insurance coverage.

Be careful. Be VERY careful.

TW

Guy
08-10-2009, 16:44
What I did was:
1. Read the Co. leave of absence policy. I consider this to be obvious first thing to do before speaking to anyone in the organization.
2. Talked to someone who had utilized that policy. Asked him if he had any advice on how to get what I want.
3. Talked to a supervisor who was supportive and made an ally.
4. Talked to my boss who has turned out to be supportive as well. When I spoke to my boss, I made a point of apologizing for putting her through the hoop jumping that is required of her to give me a leave. I meant it too. It's a pain in the butt dealing with the HR types.

fredmugs
08-11-2009, 07:28
Read what this guy is telling you. Then read it again. Then read para (2) one more time.

From a lot of experience in human resources issues, I give you the following:

1) Do a 'stealth' investigation about whether it is possible that you'll be given the time off. Do this by trying to find out if others at your work level and experience have been given time off. One tipoff is to see how women who have taken extended maternity leaves have been (a) treated and (b) talked about. Since women are entitled to maternity leave by law, unlike you, if they are criticised for taking the time or otherwise dealt with adversely, you may take it as very possible that you will be, also.

2) If you are not a very, very highly rated employee, you risk not being given a job no matter what is said now, unless you get an ironclad agreement, which isn't bloody likely. There are a lot of job seekers chasing a limited number of jobs, and the person who takes your job today is showing greater job-loyalty thatn you and may be rewarded for it.

3) You stand a real risk of not getting promotions or other optional benefits, since you're showing (in the eyes of some) less than total loyalty to your job. (Forget that few employers feel loyalty to their employees; they expect the reverse.) You may also lose seniority or other benefits you already have, such as getting lesser medical insurance coverage.

Be careful. Be VERY careful.

TW

Jeff
08-11-2009, 08:06
I have yet to meet a thruhiker who told me that he/she regretted leaving their job to hike the trail.

slowandlow
08-11-2009, 15:24
I have yet to meet a thruhiker who told me that he/she regretted leaving their job to hike the trail.

If I were 23 years old like the OP, I would put in my notice and be gone without a second thought.

leeki pole
08-11-2009, 15:30
All right, I'd like to put in two cents. I haven't taken a sick day in two and a half years, didn't use all my vacation time last year, have taken one-half day of vacation this year and been with the company 22 years.

Should a 23 year old be granted a leave of absence? In a word, no.

Disney
08-11-2009, 15:37
Stress the fact that you'll be in touch with them by cell phone for free if they input/info. You'll only get reception rarely but they don't need to know that yet. If you do end up going, make sure you call them, keep in touch, send photographs, discuss issues, email the folks. Keep yourself in the loop, it will make having a job when you return much more likely.

Rockhound
08-11-2009, 15:47
Work is highly over rated. Money is highly over rated. Free yourself of these needless attachments. Enjoy the here and now. Too many people spend their lives punching clocks worrying about tomorrow. You should ask yourself if you were not receiving a paycheck would you still love your job and continue to go? If yes congrats. If no then stop going and start enjoying each moment of every day. Stop sacrificing 40/50/60 hours a week in exchange for a couple days a week or a couple weeks a year of freedom. You are free right now if you choose to be. So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

The Weasel
08-11-2009, 15:50
Work is highly over rated. Money is highly over rated. Free yourself of these needless attachments. Enjoy the here and now. Too many people spend their lives punching clocks worrying about tomorrow. You should ask yourself if you were not receiving a paycheck would you still love your job and continue to go? If yes congrats. If no then stop going and start enjoying each moment of every day. Stop sacrificing 40/50/60 hours a week in exchange for a couple days a week or a couple weeks a year of freedom. You are free right now if you choose to be. So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

You are either independently wealthy or have parents with an extra room and a full refrigerator.

TW

Disney
08-11-2009, 15:53
You are either independently wealthy or have parents with an extra room and a full refrigerator.

TW

Probably, but not necessarily. Some people are quite happy to live very cheaply doing a job that they enjoy.

summermike
08-11-2009, 15:53
Your employer is not your parent. You don't need to get permission. If your job is there when you get back, fine. If it isn't, fine. There will always be other jobs.

You could be in a horrible car accident next year and unable to hike ever again. Would you be happy you stayed at your job instead of doing a thruhike when you were able to?

You can't see the future. All you have is now. It's your life; if you want to thruhike go do it.

The Weasel
08-11-2009, 16:23
Your employer is not your parent. You don't need to get permission. If your job is there when you get back, fine. If it isn't, fine. There will always be other jobs.

Yeah, and the 10% of the nation that's unemployed today will do its best to take them away from you.

TW

leeki pole
08-11-2009, 17:03

You could be in a horrible car accident next year and unable to hike ever again. Would you be happy you stayed at your job instead of doing a thruhike when you were able to?

You can't see the future. All you have is now. It's your life; if you want to thruhike go do it.

It's what I call the drive-thru mentality that everyone seems to have. Don't worry, be happy, but I want to be happy now. And could you give me fries with that burger? Sheesh.

Rockhound
08-11-2009, 18:59

TWI have not lived with mom or dad since since I was 18 but yes, I am independently wealthy. I have freedom, happiness and time. That is how I measure wealth. Do I own a house, a plasma screen TV, a Porche? No, but I am able to manifest whatever I need. Some of the happiest, most content people I have ever met have little or nothing in the way of material possessions or money and I have met miserable millionaires. The only way to true happiness is to rid yourself of fear, greed and attachment. I did this 6 years ago and have been happier ever since. I would never expect you to understand this Weasy until you do the same.

olyroller
08-11-2009, 19:32
I asked for a LOA which was proptly denied, I understand they did not want to set the precident, but I left anyway and have no regrets. I will say this much though...it is a tough economic climate to walk from a 'dream job', but things will turn around soon enough.

Egads
08-11-2009, 19:57
Lots of businesses are struggling with payroll and layoffs.

It might be a win-win for you and the employer.

On the other hand, you may come back from the hike and find that you are unemployed.

The Weasel
08-12-2009, 09:10
I have not lived with mom or dad since since I was 18 but yes, I am independently wealthy. I have freedom, happiness and time. That is how I measure wealth. Do I own a house, a plasma screen TV, a Porche? No, but I am able to manifest whatever I need. Some of the happiest, most content people I have ever met have little or nothing in the way of material possessions or money and I have met miserable millionaires. The only way to true happiness is to rid yourself of fear, greed and attachment. I did this 6 years ago and have been happier ever since. I would never expect you to understand this Weasy until you do the same.

And you pay your rent with what?

I understand just fine. It's just wonderful being a grasshopper and being superior to the ants. Until winter comes, that is.

TW

Rockhound
08-12-2009, 09:46
Like I said. I would never expect you to understand.

Alligator
08-12-2009, 10:02
The question comes up now and then but I think Guy's #2 is a very helpful tip. Getting advice from here is useful but getting advice from someone within your organization who has used the policy is very case specific. I also thought RevLee's approach could be a good route particularly if it was casually intiated, "In a couple of years I was thinking of hiking the AT..."

buz
08-12-2009, 10:23
I think the weasel's first post was perfect. Not the best time to stretch your job relationship, unless you don't want it, or seem to not want it, this from the employers perspective.

You specifically stated it is your dream job and a great company. Y put that at risk as a new employee? I am not trying to drown your dreams, but our country right now is in poor shape, job wise. If you want to hike, and deal with what happens, hike. But don't then rue the consequences when and if something doesn't work out. Not trying to be negative, just IMO, you should put the nose to the grindstone for awhile, if you really value your job. Because I think you would not get it back with the company you are employed by.

Good luck,

summermike
08-12-2009, 13:18
Yeah, and the 10% of the nation that's unemployed today will do its best to take them away from you.

Exactly. If the company had to downsize tomorrow they wouldn't hesitate to dump him in a heartbeat. The permanence isn't there on their end so he shouldn't think of it as being there on his end, either. There will be other jobs.

The Weasel
08-12-2009, 21:20

TW

I have not lived with mom or dad since since I was 18 but yes, I am independently wealthy. I have freedom, happiness and time. That is how I measure wealth. Do I own a house, a plasma screen TV, a Porche? No, but I am able to manifest whatever I need. Some of the happiest, most content people I have ever met have little or nothing in the way of material possessions or money and I have met miserable millionaires. The only way to true happiness is to rid yourself of fear, greed and attachment. I did this 6 years ago and have been happier ever since. I would never expect you to understand this Weasy until you do the same.

And you pay your rent with what?

I understand just fine. It's just wonderful being a grasshopper and being superior to the ants. Until winter comes, that is.

TW

Like I said. I would never expect you to understand.

And like i said, I understand just fine. Tell us: Having forsworn filthy lucre and oppressive work, as I asked before, "You pay your rent with what?"

I don't know if this guy makes millions as an investment banker or loves flipping burgers at Joe's Eats, and I don't care: Unless you're living off the taxpayer's buck, or mooching from Mom and Dad or someone else who does work, you gotta pay the rent, buy the food, and set something aside for the doctor bill. And a few other things. Kissing off a job that accomplishes that against the hope - without anything more - that it will be there is sorta like jumping out of an airplane without a chute: Sure, if the plane's not off the ground, you might not get hurt - much - but other times, well, it's just kinda risky, after the first few thrilling moments.

But you might not understand that.

TW

Egads
08-12-2009, 22:26
Weasel, you and PP live in different worlds... You're 61 & he is 20 something. He'll learn some day

Tractor
08-12-2009, 22:38
Some random thoughts:

A US company that can currently afford to allow a productive employee LOA to hike seems a bit out of place. Even if management is all smiles and says "best of luck" and "we will do our best to give you your job back when you return" is not something to count on nor should it be dwelled upon if said individual does take a hike. It is nice to have that upon leaving but is not a golden ticket.

Not burning that bridge, though, is fine and at least keeps the spirit(s) up.

Management and HR "positive references to potential rehire" do not equate to a guarantee and I would not wish to begin nor complete a thru thinking "what if".

I sure would like to head out with a firm conviction no matter what happens (given my best effort) I will be just fine around the corner and go for it. Otherwise, I best stay seated and wait for the next ride. t

MikenSalem
08-12-2009, 23:32
Dream Job and best possible company to work for VS the hike. If they didn't need you they'd not have hired you. If you've proven yourself irreplaceable they might consider letting you have time off. Tell your boss your dream and see if he buys in. He may even suggest how to accomplish it. If not then weigh what's more important the job or hike. My opinion you got the rest of your life to work, mortgages or a wife and children require it. If you can limit your desire for material possessions you can find allot more dream jobs.

Montana AT05
08-16-2009, 12:35
One day, after working year after year after year, after taking little no sick leave, after being afraid (or too self-important) to take 5 days in a row for vacation, after routinely working 12 hour days, ignoring your health, your family, and your dreams and after enduring all sorts of stress, you may find yourself laid off or fired because a bad manager came upon the scene. I've seen it happen time after time. And no, it's not wrong--companies must be able to downsize and make corrections. It's healthy.

What is not healthy is blind obedience and co-dependent-love-fests with inanimate things like companies.

Fact: If you are going to work like I described above--do it for yourself, or at the very least, in a field you truly love. And be married to the WORK, not the company.

I am not saying you shouldn't work hard or sacrifice when appropriate or keep your nose to the grindstone, all I am saying is you should be VERY wary of people who try to prevent you from doing something just because the led a life wedded to a job that wasn't wedded to them.

a few more rambling points:

1. Is it really a dream job? If so, maybe stay in it for awhile--learn more, make yourself more valuable to the field (not just to your current job in it). Form trusting relationships that may help you get that leave of absence later.

2. Are you single? No kids? Minimal to no debt? If yes, good job or not, this may be an ideal time. It's hard to do a thru when you are newly married, with toddlers and a need for an income.

3. The worst decision is the one not made. Whether you thru-hike now or later, just make a decision and make the best of it. Excel at whatever you do. Doors open if you do that. Stay flexible, save money, and build skill sets you can sell anywhere (or that make you self-employed). Never assume things will magically come to you. Opportunities are most often made, those that aren't require you to be positioned to take them (let alone recognize them).

And a repeat of above--beware those who risk much by a life of perceived security and who, consequently, gain little in the end. And beware those who envy and who seek to fetter your aspirations with the chains of their own limitations.

Jayboflavin04
08-16-2009, 15:20
I think TW's post was pretty accurate. Much of the nation is struggling and not working.

I think the OP needs to give more info....

1) Describe the job.....
2) What other obligations (family, friends, property, significant other)

If you are young, just entered the work force, have 0 obligations and are finacially sound enough to make the small investment. I say "just do it". Otherwise you need to do some very careful "risk assesment".

Jayboflavin04
08-16-2009, 15:24
This also reminds me of my favorite quote

" Twenty years from now. You will regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did."

The Weasel
08-16-2009, 21:47
Weasel, you and PP live in different worlds... You're 61 & he is 20 something. He'll learn some day

Ummm, Egads? Those are lessons I learned from my mammy and pappy before I was 20. Actually, I learned the fable of the grasshopper and the ants from Uncle Walt when I saw the cartoon on Disneyland. Pup is either independently wealthy, living off of someone else, or fibbing just a little if he says you don't need a job to eat.

TW

Wise Old Owl
08-17-2009, 00:05
:eek:Give him a long notice and quit. - then come back and beg....

No wait .... Not so wise.....:eek: