PDA

View Full Version : Some Food Photos from Our Trip

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 11:58
Pepperoni, Olive, Mushroom Pizza
(we generally have pizza on two or three of our trips each year)

http://www.gjstudios.com/food/pizza-again.jpg

Another no-cook lunch
(on Rosemary/Garlic Triscuits)

http://www.gjstudios.com/food/dip-on-crackers.jpg

Round two of Quinoa Muffins
(we made these last trip as a test for my next book)

http://www.gjstudios.com/food/muffins-beach.jpg

my latest find... Twinings Cold Brewed Iced Tea... YUM!

http://www.gjstudios.com/food/cold-tea.jpg

Maddog
08-10-2009, 12:24
wow! it all looks great! :)

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 12:33
thanks... the dip was my favorite and I love not having to pull out the stove for lunches.

I meant to say the muffins are from the same recipe as the ones we did on our last trip.

Terraducky
08-10-2009, 12:48
OMG....I want to hike with you! What is the dip on your crackers? Looks like eggplant....

holyphenol
08-10-2009, 13:04
First of all, i'm about off for lunch and the pizza is seriously swaying my eating choice - looks fantastic!
As for the triscuit spread, are those black and green olives?
Just wondering because one of my first dehydrated spreads was a tampenade close to that of a muffaletta spread - turned out good with a little lemon and olive oil mixed in.

unclemjm
08-10-2009, 13:14
Great pictures. Fortunately for me, I just got back from an early lunch, otherwise it would be serious salivation time.

Mrpokey
08-10-2009, 13:21
Whats the pizza recipe you used? That thing looks awesome, make me hungry just looking at it!

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 16:31
OMG....I want to hike with you! What is the dip on your crackers? Looks like eggplant....

Well we'll just have to organize it sometime then. The dip is an olive tapenade sort of thing.

First of all, i'm about off for lunch and the pizza is seriously swaying my eating choice - looks fantastic!
As for the triscuit spread, are those black and green olives?
Just wondering because one of my first dehydrated spreads was a tampenade close to that of a muffaletta spread - turned out good with a little lemon and olive oil mixed in.

It is a tapenade - black and green olives. Good eye! It rehydrates with cold water in about 10 minutes. Dips and spreads are the easiest things to dry.

Great pictures. Fortunately for me, I just got back from an early lunch, otherwise it would be serious salivation time.

oops... sorry about that.... maybe I should post a disclaimer? lol

Whats the pizza recipe you used? That thing looks awesome, make me hungry just looking at it!

The pizza is from page 131 of A Fork in the Trail. It uses a base pizza dough and then you dress it up however you like.

We normally don't take the larger Outback on hiking trips but now that Bryan and I are not carrying all of our son's gear (he carries his own sleeping bag, clothes and headlamp now) and because we are sharing kitchen gear three ways... we can justify the extra weight. I wouldn't recommend this for soloing.

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 16:45
I see that this thread inspired Dicentra to post her own Tapenade recipe (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53021). While hers is super easy, I am not one for sundried tomatoes and I hate having to use ingredients that are sometimes a pain to find up here.

Mine does involve breaking out the food processor... or if you have good knife skills you can hand chop everything. It's full of flavor and is great with some extra olive oil and parmesean cheese on pasta. The tapenade has a slight bit of heat but very slight and you can adjust that to suit your taste. Make sure you use pitted olives - the food processor doesn't like the pits much... I actually did that on my first batch a few years back... oops.

Olive Tapenade
© 2008 from Another Fork in the Trail (to be released in the Spring)

I first had this tapenade at a Fall gathering being hosted in Ontario, Canada’s AlgonquinProvincialPark. The recipe came from my friend Alison as it was her contribution to an impromptu potluck. I have modified the dish to suit backcountry trips and although it is great as a spread, it can double as a refreshing addition to pasta.

Dehydration Time: 8 to 10 hours
Serves 3 to 4

1 cup pimento stuffed green olives, drained
1 cup pitted black olives, drained
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1 hot banana pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon capers, minced
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

At Home:
Put the olives and artichokes in a food processor and pulse to chop the mixture. It should a fine chop, but not to the point of being a puree. Put the olive mixture in a bowl and set aside. Next, put the peppers in the food processor and pulse until the peppers are the same consistency as the olive mixture. Add the peppers to the olive mixture along with the garlic, basil, capers and lemon juice. Stir until well combined.

Measure the tapenade and write this measurement on a sticky note. Spread onto lined dehydrator trays and dry for 8 to 10 hours. Package the tapenade in a medium ziplock freezer bag and add the olive oil to the other olive oil you are taking on your trip.

At Camp:
Add enough water to the tapenade mix to equal the measurement on your sticky note. Be sure to account for and add your dried ingredients to the rehydration container prior to adding the water. You can always add more water if you need to. Let rehydrate for 10 minutes and add more water if needed. Stir in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, if desired, and serve with your favorite cracker or flatbread.

Terraducky
08-10-2009, 16:50
Thanks for the recipe! It sounds (and looks) YUMMY!!!!!

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 17:18
I should warn you - the serving size is fairly large so you'll have to adjust that to suit. I have to make it when my son and husband are either sleeping or out of the house because they dig right in. Last time they ate half the batch before I could get it on the trays. Brats! ;)