PDA

View Full Version : Iron Horse Avocado Salad

Dicentra
08-10-2009, 16:38
Another oldie.

Iron Horse Avocado Salad
Serves 1-2

http://www.onepanwonders.com/Iron%20Horse%20Avocado%20Salad.jpg

This can also be used as a filling for a wrap.

1/2 cup (cooked) dried black beans
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 fresh tangerine
1 fresh avocado

At home: combine everything except the tangerine and avocado
in a zip locking plastic bag. Pack the tangerine and avocado carefully
so they do not get crushed in your pack.

In camp: add just enough water to the bean mixture to cover. Set aside. Meanwhile peel and dice the tangerine and avocado. Add to the beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

unclemjm
08-10-2009, 18:32
Now that sounds good.

sarbar
08-11-2009, 10:11
It was a good thing I had an empty Pringles Singles to fill up with mooched food on that trip :D

Dicentra
08-11-2009, 18:15
It was a good thing I had an empty Pringles Singles to fill up with mooched food on that trip :D

I seem to recall you eating half of my lunch that day... :rolleyes:

mudcap
08-12-2009, 12:32
Now that is an interesting combination of flavors,sounds good to me. Another one to try.

Lellers
08-12-2009, 15:48
That one is going on my next trip! Thanks so much for posting!

sarbar
08-12-2009, 21:04
Di and I had a huge kick on avo's last year :D Good eating. There was one on every trip we did (and still is!) They are easy on the stomach and fuel you up!

Dicentra
08-13-2009, 13:34
Di and I had a huge kick on avo's last year :D Good eating. There was one on every trip we did (and still is!) They are easy on the stomach and fuel you up!

I don't think I'm gonna try the avocado/tuna thing again. Tasted good, but didn't sit well. Needed some carbs or something.

Ah well. Not everything we try works, eh?

sarbar
08-13-2009, 15:10
Di, I think that the fish/avo was just too rich, too much protein. And it was hot that day. Maybe if we had split the meal? That might have been better.