PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound Bus

brian039
08-10-2009, 20:21
I'm from the South and at some point will be section hiking up North. Since I hate driving so much I was thinking about taking a Greyhound bus to a town and then shuttling to the trailhead from there. Does anyone have any experience with a long-distance bus ride? I've heard some pretty bad horror stories and wanted to get a few more opinions. I'm a backpacker so obviously I can deal with a fair amount of discomfort, I just don't want to get robbed or anything like that.

NewEnglandMiles86
08-10-2009, 20:28
i have traveled all over the country with greyhound and never had a problem i have met some real interesting folk but ive never felt scared or in danger plus its fairly inexpensive.

hbower
08-10-2009, 20:32
I haven't been on a bus in a long time, but if I had a choice between driving or riding a bus I would def. drive.
I would probably rather walk than a long bus ride. Most of the times were not that bad , but the few bad experiences far outweigh the o.k. ones.

wnderer
08-10-2009, 20:43
Maybe I was there on a bad day but, my experience is there is no real schedule. They have a make believe one but they don't follow it. This can be somewhat disconcerting if you don't expect it. They also don't follow a specific route. You sort of hang around the bus station until a bus comes. The bus driver stands up and tells you what stops he's making and where you need to get off and change buses. It's tough if you want to give someone a time to pick you up. If you're patient, they'll get you there.

Bearpaw
08-10-2009, 22:51
I've ridden the bus a couple of times coming home from long hikes. From my AT hike, it was a cluster with routes cancelled because of high water but no effort to reimburse any one. Instead I had to spend MORE money to get to an alternate direction.

BUT when I came home from the Colorado Trail 3 years ago, I easily made every connection and arrived home in Nashville within 15 minutes of the time I was supposed.

What you might want to try is a bus to DC, then catch trains to wherever you want to go. The trains I rode from the Boston area to DC at the end of my AT thru-hike ran like clockwork.

If you have a layover at a bus station, STAY inside the bus station after dark. Otherwise, it's not really a problem for safety.

Reid
08-10-2009, 23:04
I've got a good buddy, Thumper, who hiked in 06 and he went out west after his hike........and greyhoud lost his stuff. All of it. I've considered it a few times to get somewhere but when it's time to get home I'll be on plane.

Cuffs
08-10-2009, 23:13
when in Maine/NH/Mass, I highly recommend Concord Coach! Clean buses, nice staff, on time schedules, reasonable rates.

Snowleopard
08-10-2009, 23:16
I thought the armored ticket seller cage in the Oakland, CA bus station was amusing.

Trains are nicer and from DC to Boston they're good. NYC commuter trains to the north have a stop called Appalachian Trail which is on the AT (weekends only I think). Trains won't take you everywhere you need to go in New England, so you may need to take Greyhound or Peter Pan buses.
Cities where you might need to be a bit more careful around bus stations: Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury in CT, maybe Springfield, MA. Boston and NYC are fine. Most smaller cities are safe. On the whole, discomfort is the only real problem with buses.

Dogwood
08-11-2009, 00:25
Just ask Jack about the enjoyment he's experienced on the "Dog"

daddytwosticks
08-11-2009, 07:30
I think riding a Greyhound bus for long distances would be MORE of an adventure than hiking the AT for long distances...if you know what I mean! :)

Jeff
08-11-2009, 08:02
Pay a few extra bucks and fly. Albany, NY is 35 minutes from the trail. Hanover (Lebanon, NH) has connections thru LaGuardia.

Trains do stop daily in Wingdale, NY which is just a few miles from the AT at the NY/CT border. Trains also service White River Jct. close to Hanover.

Blue Jay
08-11-2009, 08:22
Trains do stop daily in Wingdale, NY which is just a few miles from the AT at the NY/CT border. Trains also service White River Jct. close to Hanover.

Train is the way to go. Anytime I go south I take the train out of Rensselaer, NY (closer to the trail than Albany). I've taken many over the years, my favorite stops are Peekskill, NY, Staunton VA and of course Harpers. The further south the better the service (remember when that existed). Bus is the second choice, but they take forever. I hope I never have to fly again as they keep deteriorating. Lost luggage and generally treating people like cattle. If I was stuck on a plane all night sitting on a runway I'd be in prison for a long time.

OldStormcrow
08-11-2009, 08:40
If you're going to be taking the bus, keep your gear with you as carry-on if you can possibly do it. It's amazing how they can manage to lose your stuff while you are riding right above it, but it happens.

The Weasel
08-11-2009, 09:02
I've "ridden the Dog" on a number of occasions along the trail, and found it reliable and interesting. Bus "stations" are sort of like old-time stagecoach stops (buses are descended from them, after all!) in small towns, as being party stores, small restaurants and the like. Passengers are varied, and sometimes strange (one caused a bit of a delay in Johnson City when his meth overdose made him start screaming as he stood outside the bus, but the police calmed him down and gave him a limo drive someone in their car) but harmless. Keep your pack in sight (either in the overhead or get out at each stop and watch the baggage compartment). I also to sit near the front not far from the driver.

TW

sasquatch2014
08-11-2009, 09:17
you can also go mega cheap once you get to DC coming north and hop one of the China Town buses or something like the Bolt or Mega Bus they make only one or two stops between DC and NYC and do the same thing from NYC to the Boston area. I think it was like $15 DC to NYC it's then about the same at off peak to take a train from Grand Central out to the town of Pawling trail is just 2.5 miles to the north. give me a ring and I'll give you a lift out to the trail.

Skyline
08-11-2009, 09:27
If your hiking plans will take you anywhere close to an Amtrak station, I'm 99% sure you will find the train more to your liking than the Greydawg. For one, you're not stuck in a cramped seat the whole way—you can get up, move around, go to the lounge car, dining car, etc. Really important if you wind up with a seatmate you don't hit it off with. Amtrak's long-distance coach seats are more like first class airline seats than what you'll find on many buses. You can carry more luggage (including your backpack) onboard with you instead of checking it as baggage. Want to splurge? Get a sleeping car accommodation.

Check out www.amtrak.com (http://www.amtrak.com) and go to the Stations section. Then compare that to an AT map. You will be pleasantly surprised in some cases. Factor in local commuter trains and buses that connect to Amtrak and the picture gets even brighter.

Dogwood
08-11-2009, 11:39
I have taken buses and/or trains from Atlanta GA, Harpers Ferry WV, Pawling and Poughkeepsie NY, North Adams MA, White River Junction and Rutland VT, and Hanover NH. There are quite a few places in all 14 states in which the AT travels that are within 50 miles of bus and/or train lines. If you could be a bit more precise about where you want to exit the trail in the south and pick it back up in the north this might get you a better response.

Slo-go'en
08-11-2009, 11:49
I've taken the bus many times to get to the trail down south. It is an adventure!
Don't plan on getting much sleep. They like to do pit stops at 3 AM and other weird times. Try to get a asile set near the front. That way you can streach your legs and not get scrunched up against the window if a big person sits next to you. (Being skinny, the largerest person on the bus always wants to sit next to me!) The ride is less bumpy near the front, less engine noise and you can get off and grab your pack out from under the bus right away when you have to do a transfer. And make sure you don't have all kinds of stuff on the outside of your pack (except hiking poles) or it will get torn off! I always cinch up the straps and clip the waist belt around the back of the pack.

In NYC, make sure you find the right gate for the transfer bus. I messed up once and cost me an extra day. The next bus leaving for where I wanted to go didn't leave until sometime the next afternoon, and no way was I going to spend the night in the NYC bus station, so I had them put me on a bus going in the right direction and spent a day in Chalotte, NC instead (nice town).

Coming home from Waynsboro this spring, I had to get to Charlottesville, VA for the bus station (thankfully, I meet a day hiker on the way to Rockfish gap, told him I had to get to a bus station and he drove me right there! Talk about trail magic!)

Once there I noticed an Amtrak station near-by and decided to take the train home instead. It cost more, but what the heck. The seats were bigger and more comfertable than the bus, my pack fit in the overhead rack and I had a 120V AC outlet next to me, which was handy. There was also a dinning car of sorts, but sold out of most everthing but expensive microwave pizza. The one down side was they don't turn off all the lights in the car at night, so I had a harder time sleeping on the train than on the bus! Oh and the train was like 3 hours late getting into Charlettsville, but I still had to kill a couple of hours in DC for the train to Boston and then another 10 hours in Boston to get the bus home to NH.

So, either way, its a long trip!

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2009, 12:02
For shorter trips (i.e. no more than three or four hours) the bus is fine.

Otherwise, if possible, look into train travel as other folks have mentioned.

Last summer I went from Washington DC to Atlanta by Greyhound and believe me, you wouldn't wish this on bin Laden.

Never again.

max patch
08-11-2009, 12:43
Whenever possible, Amtrak is the way to go.

Bus is ok from say Hanover, NH to Williamstown, MA.

Took the bus once from Atlanta to Tucson. 3 days. Felt like 3 years. Never again. I'd rather walk across west TX alongside I-10 in the middle of summer with no shade than do that again.

Heater
08-11-2009, 13:47
Whenever possible, Amtrak is the way to go.

Bus is ok from say Hanover, NH to Williamstown, MA.

Took the bus once from Atlanta to Tucson. 3 days. Felt like 3 years. Never again. I'd rather walk across west TX alongside I-10 in the middle of summer with no shade than do that again.

I went from Austin to Spring field, Ma. 3 days 2 nights.
It would have been OK if I could sleep in those chairs. Spent most of my time in the lounge car chatting it up with others. BMOB and was discreet so the AMTRAK folks wouldn't bother me. I don't think they ever saw it.

Back then the difference between train and airfare was considerable.

Pony
08-11-2009, 15:00
I spent close to 24 hours in Wytheville Va waiting on a bus that wasn't full, brokedown or involved in a "major collision" as the Greyhound people put it. Finally was able to get an older couple from Youngstown to give me a ride back to Ohio. Wasn't quite sure why they were reluctant to give me a ride until I looked at myself in the mirror. Apparently in the words of my girlfriend, I looked and smelled homeless.

Montana
08-12-2009, 16:21
Avoid the bus at all costs. Seriously.

I've rode the dog cross country three times, and I have nothing good to say about the company.

The ride is uncomfortable in every aspect. They have small seats with little leg room, they are usually filled to capacity, the AC is often broken, the toilet is rarely maintained (stinking up the entire cab), and they stop every couple hours to let people smoke (including the middle of the night). It is impossible to sleep in these conditions, so if your travels are more than a day, prepare for insomnia. Rules state that alcohol and drug use is strictly forbidden, and that if you are even suspected of partaking, expect to be removed from the bus and your ticket nullified. So if you plan on packing a few spliffs to help you get by.. don't, they also use dogs to search for us miscreants.

The stations themselves vary greatly. Some were clean and well lit, while others were rather sketchy. Even at the cleanest stations, expect to be hassled by either the employees or the local PD. At one station, I had an employee give me a hard time for wanting to grab my bag out of the bus. He grilled me on what I needed so badly, not believing me when I told him I hadn't seen my toothbrush in two days. Instead, it seemed he thought I was after something illegal, and he fancied himself a vigilante. The local PD like to frequent the stations too, rifling through peoples bags as if they were transporting narcs across the country. Seriously, from the moment you purchase a ticket, you are assumed a criminal.

Buses rarely run on time, and if you miss your connection, you could find yourself stuck somewhere random for up to 24 hours. Don't expect the local ticketing agent to be of any help.

The only food you will see on your trip is from convenience stores and McDonalds. Many of these places will not take credit cards, so you are required to carry cash (which, needless to say, can be very sketchy). If you are still waiting for your breakfast burrito when the bus driver is ready to go, forget the burrito or miss your ride.

If you do end up taking the bus, carefully watch your bag. Get out at each stop and make sure it doesn't disappear. When transferring buses, move the bag yourself, do not expect the employee doing it to get it correct.

I would much prefer to pay a little extra to ride a train or plane. Trains have more room to move about, and you can get a sleeper if you want. Planes, while also cramped, get you to your destination much quicker. While riding either, expect to be treated more like a customer.

Personally, I think the ideal way to travel, after having done it extensively, is hitch-hiking. You meet way more interesting people, and if you have a good story to tell (I had just finished my thru), you will find them extremely accommodating (to the extent of buying you food and giving you a place to stay).

Whatever you decide, enjoy your hike.

Hare
GAME 08

max patch
08-12-2009, 16:32
and they stop every couple hours to let people smoke (including the middle of the night)

Back when I went cross country smoking was still permitted on Greyhound. The first 2 or 3 seats was the designated "non smoking" area. You can guess how much that helped. Everyone on the bus smoked. I smelled like an ashtray after 3 days on the bus. The first thing Dad said when he saw me at the station was "you stink."

Just Plain Jim
08-12-2009, 17:34
Back in 2006 my hiking buddy and I caught a GH in Chattanooga,Tn. to Waynesboro,Va. My how times have changed since the army days. I really dreaded the ride back home 2 weeks later. Never again!

Dogwood
08-12-2009, 20:10
I have also experienced everything on "the dog" that Montana has experienced. I don't mean to get too negative, but these are the things you should be prepared for as they are often encountered with Greyhound. Handle your pack by yourself as often as possible or secure it well, like in a duffle bag, because I have found very few Greyhound baggage handlers that know how to properly or respectfully handle a backpack. However, if you can get a 21 day advance ticket on the bus you can save upto and even sometimes more than 50 % off the reg. fare, often making it the cheapest, in terms of dollars, to travel. Personallly, for travel requiring more than a day on a Greyhound bus, I would find a way to purchase a train or plane ticket in advance.

The Weasel
08-12-2009, 20:36
Everything Montana says is true, but he left out the absolute beauty of seeing someone overdose on speed and start barking in the front seat, then staggering down the steps into the arms of the 5-6 Tennessee cops it took to subdue him until he could be sedated/euthanized enough for the ambulance.

You don't get that on Southwest Airlines, and they don't even charge you extra to watch it on Greyhound. Still, yeah, I usually rode in the very back row so that I didn't have to have my back to the other passengers.

TW

Blissful
08-12-2009, 20:43
My hubby hated taking the bus from VA to NY. He did it twice. Took forever. And some really different people too on the bus and hanging out a stations. He's not too eager to do it again.

I thought someone posted a year or two back how a backpack was stolen from a bus too. Like the mom was asking for help or something for her son - ? Or I might be confusing two stories.

BitBucket
08-12-2009, 21:06
My son took a Greyhound adventure today from Huntsville, AL to Atlanta, GA. About 180 miles - took 6 hours and somehow Greyhound managed to lose his backpack with all his belongings in it.

Over the past three years, he had traveled all over Europe, South America, Africa, and the Middle East on buses, trains, planes, trucks, camels, and other modes of local transportation and never lost a thing...

He'll never ride the big dog again!

Dogwood
08-12-2009, 23:15
LOL. The Weasel that's a great story. Woof Woof Woof Grrr.

sloopjonboswell
08-13-2009, 01:58
here's my 2 cents: if your looking to do this on the cheap and jump from alabama to new england, get thee to atlanta. decide how to get to d.c. you can train or bus from there. from d.c. you can take a train to harpers ferry (where the trail is) for like $10 or so. if you want further north, the cheapest is the chinatown buses, but you also have rail options. (the cheapest would actually be to hitch the whole thing).

pike county jon GA>ME '07

Erin
08-13-2009, 23:18
Ah, the rides on the "Greasy Dog." The memories!