PDA

View Full Version : free camping spot in Harpers Ferry?

yushan
08-10-2009, 21:27
My son and I are going through Harpers Ferry in a month or so. I was wondering if there was a free place to set up our tents nearby. The price of lodging there are a little steep at $30 or better per person and there are 2 of us.

Is it possible or wise to walk from Harpers Ferry a quarter mile north or south of the AT and set up camp there?

Many thanks.

Lone Wolf
08-10-2009, 21:29
My son and I are going through Harpers Ferry in a month or so. I was wondering if there was a free place to set up our tents nearby. The price of lodging there are a little steep at $30 or better per person and there are 2 of us.

Is it possible or wise to walk from Harpers Ferry a quarter mile north or south of the AT and set up camp there?

Many thanks.

on the towpath just north of HF right on the river

Skyline
08-10-2009, 21:57
on the towpath just north of HF right on the river

Now that there Potomac is some water source. Do you filter? :eek:

yushan
08-10-2009, 22:19
don't plan to filter because I am day hiking but want a cheap (free) place to sleep. thanks.

CowHead
08-11-2009, 06:44
Gathland State Park a few miles down the trail is camp spots and a shelter Ed Garvey from the shelter to Harpers I thing the hike is about 4 - 5 miles. Waverly Cliffs is a nice veiw also which is right down the trail

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 07:02
Gathland State Park a few miles down the trail is camp spots and a shelter Ed Garvey from the shelter to Harpers I thing the hike is about 4 - 5 miles. Waverly Cliffs is a nice veiw also which is right down the trail

he's looking for a spot real close to town. he's dayhiking. gathland is 10 miles away. where the heck is waverly cliffs?

Namaste
08-11-2009, 07:29

Waverly Cliffs? Do you mean Weverton? I just hiked there and don't remember that spot.

Jeff
08-11-2009, 08:08
Call the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry (888) 535-2087

RubiksQubed
08-11-2009, 08:25
There are a few options. LW mentions the C&O Canal. There is a small, but nice, camping spot north of Harpers Ferry, roughly 1.5 miles in the opposite direction of the AT. There is a portapotty there I believe, and water pump. It's literally right on the Potomac.

Weverton Cliffs is on the AT a few miles past Harpers Ferry, and there is a nice campsite immediately south (literally 10s of feet) of the overlook. As mentioned, there are shelters beyond this point. However, we're talking a few miles from Harpers Ferry.

There is also a camping spot as you descend the AT from Loudoun Heights in the approach to Harpers Ferry. Again, it's roughly 1.5 miles from town (south, and on the AT), and one mile before the Shenandoah River bridge.

LW's suggestion of the campsite near Loudoun Heights are the nearest. I live in Bolivar (the small town adjacent to Harpers Ferry) so I know the area and trail well enough here. However, I have to warn you, that this time of year, the sites are typically used. Harpers Ferry is a big tubing/rafting area, and the spot on the Potomac River/C&O Canal is rarely available. Your best bet is up on the AT south of the town. Still, it's just one spot. If it's not unused, there are maybe 4 in the next 4 miles between there and Keys Gap.

If you want to be assured a camping spot, there is the KOA there -- http://www.harpersferrykoa.com/ -- it's roughly $35 a night, but you're guaranteed a spot.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 10:16
i'm not suggesting loudon heights. i'm suggesting going north over the bridge on the AT into maryland and immediately looking for a campsite along the tow path. he doesn't want to walk a mile and a half or longer or pay. reread his post

CowHead
08-11-2009, 10:41
weverton yes heck brain fart lol

RubiksQubed
08-11-2009, 11:07
Oh, you mean the wooden bridge? Well if he walks south (as the AT follows the canal south) on the towpath, there still isn't a campsite for another mile or so. Nothing between Harpers Ferry and Sandy Hook (the little area near the metal bridge spanning the Potomac). After that, you do find some nice areas to camp, some with fire rings and large clearings. Still, it's at least a mile, but it's certainly faster walking than hiking up to Loudoun. I'd say you could get to a campground in 20-30 minutes after hitting the towpath.

I only offered the KOA because a lot of those campgrounds are used this time of year, mainly by locals. I just thought it would be nice to have a backup, just in case.

RubiksQubed
08-11-2009, 11:08
I meant **campsites**

Skyline
08-11-2009, 11:14
don't plan to filter because I am day hiking but want a cheap (free) place to sleep. thanks.

LOL. I understand.

Was just teasing Wolf because he's famous (infamous) on this site for not filtering or treating his water. :D

CowHead
08-11-2009, 11:31
I don't think you can camp anywhere on the towpath or with Harpers Ferry park.

RubiksQubed
08-11-2009, 12:05
Camp in the park, no, but there many places to camp along the towpath.

http://www.bikewashington.org/canal/maps/map_ef.png

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2009, 12:05
Wolf is correct in stating that there are plenty of good campsites along the toww path/canal north of Harpers Ferry.

Regrettably, Cowhead is equally correct when he says that technically, camping is not permitted there.

If one chooses to overnight there, I suggest one use prudence.

To be oth the safe side, call Laura Wright at the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry, or the ATC office in town, as they'll have more information.

Jester2000
08-11-2009, 12:50
Is $30 per person really "a little steep?"

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 12:57
Is $30 per person really "a little steep?"
for a hostel it is

Lauriep
08-11-2009, 17:20
Camping is allowed only at designated areas along the C&O Townpath, which the A.T. follows for 2.6 miles A.T. north/compass east of Harpers Ferry. Unfortunately, there are no designated sites in that section (there used to be one, but it was closed several years ago due to problems related to nearby road access). Heading south on the A.T., you have to hike beyond the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park boundary, which is about 2.5 miles south of A.T., 1/2 mile after you climb to the top of the ridge.

There is a free C&O hiker/biker campsite (Huckleberry Hill), two perfectly flat miles upstream from Harpers Ferry (opposite direction from the A.T.), with water.

Unfortunately, there is no camping anywhere in Harpers Ferry proper. Just about all the land is either under the jurisdiction of Harpers Ferry NHP, which does not allow camping, or the town of Harpers Ferry, which has stricter ordinances than you could possibly imagine (but those ordinances do help preserve this incredibly beautiful and historic town). The Town's Inn is the most economical option here.

The Harpers Ferry Hostel (technically in Knoxville, MD, 2 miles away as the crow flies, but no direct, legal access) offers tenting for $10 per person (301) 834-7652.

Laurie P.
ATC

Jester2000
08-12-2009, 10:59
for a hostel it is

Well all righty then. Knights Inn, Charles Town -- $55.00.

yushan
08-16-2009, 17:59
Thanks for all the info and great ideas. I think we are set.

:sun

macdiver
04-25-2017, 18:14
The Harpers Ferry Hostel (technically in Knoxville, MD, 2 miles away as the crow flies, but no direct, legal access) offers tenting for $10 per person (301) 834-7652.

It is open from May to Oct so not available for the festival unless you rent the whole hostel.

BlackCloud
04-26-2017, 15:26
The Hiker/Biker site on the C&O can't be beat. Flat, with clean water, not so clean port-a-john and a nice view. They are first come first served however & liable to fill up...they are very small...