PDA

View Full Version : Bear warning in the south

Chaco Taco
08-11-2009, 09:25
Im posting this to let everyone know that if you are camping in areas that see alot of foot traffic, bear's are lurking. Had my food bag ripped out of my tent this morning as it layed 2 inches from my head. i always keep my food with me in my tent, but will not do that again. The incident was at Watauga Lake, which is a landfill for the local campers. Be safe out there

Blue Jay
08-11-2009, 09:37
Had my food bag ripped out of my tent this morning as it layed 2 inches from my head.

Very glad to hear you're going to stop keeping your food there. Bears learn faster than humans.

Pacific Tortuga
08-11-2009, 09:44
Im posting this to let everyone know that if you are camping in areas that see alot of foot traffic, bear's are lurking. Had my food bag ripped out of my tent this morning as it layed 2 inches from my head. i always keep my food with me in my tent, but will not do that again. The incident was at Watauga Lake, which is a landfill for the local campers. Be safe out there

Not until that happens to Lone Wolf will he not sleep with his food bag.
Did the bear just rip through your tent ? Are you OK ?

scope
08-11-2009, 09:52
I'd be curious to know what was in the bag, just to get a better idea of what the bear was capable of sensing in route to your bag.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 10:19
isolated incident. i'll still sleep with my food

Hooch
08-11-2009, 10:23
.......i'll still sleep with my foodDoes that make Gypsy jealous at all? :rolleyes::D

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2009, 10:34
Where were you camped?

little bear
08-11-2009, 10:43

yeah the bear targeted the corner where the food bag was. Chaco was using it as a pillow and had rolled off it. yeah he is ok, we were scared because the bear was about 15 yards away, stalking us. the bear just circled us the whole time we were packing up.

I'd be curious to know what was in the bag, just to get a better idea of what the bear was capable of sensing in route to your bag.

pasta dinners, bagles, breakfast stuff, just the normal hiker food.

Where were you camped?

we were a mile in from US 321 camping right on the lake, just past the metal gate.

it was stupid on mine and Chacos part, when we walked up about 100 yards, south of where we camped there was all kinds of trash where boaters and locals must hang out. we should have probably not camped there. but I learned my lesson, im not sleeping with my food anymore. We called the ATC and reported it, and they told us that there is a big increase in bear activity. heart pounding, fast packing at 245 am............

Chaco Taco
08-11-2009, 10:57

He bit through the tent pole and the whole corner and ripped it all out.

Im fine, going back out but will hang my food tonite and tomorrow.

Yes it was isolated but it was from me and Little Bear not being smart. What we should have done was keep hiking to the shelter but I aint gonna speculate on what we should have done. It wasnt the bears fault, it was ours. Ill def use my head next time especially at the peak of bear season, that is if the bear doesnt get it first.

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2009, 11:16
yeah the bear targeted the corner where the food bag was. Chaco was using it as a pillow and had rolled off it. yeah he is ok, we were scared because the bear was about 15 yards away, stalking us. the bear just circled us the whole time we were packing up.

pasta dinners, bagles, breakfast stuff, just the normal hiker food.

we were a mile in from US 321 camping right on the lake, just past the metal gate.

it was stupid on mine and Chacos part, when we walked up about 100 yards, south of where we camped there was all kinds of trash where boaters and locals must hang out. we should have probably not camped there. but I learned my lesson, im not sleeping with my food anymore. We called the ATC and reported it, and they told us that there is a big increase in bear activity. heart pounding, fast packing at 245 am............
My hiking club, TEHCC, is taking a bunch of college freshman from Appy State in at that access gate to work on some relocations later this month.

DAKS
08-11-2009, 11:27
i stayed at watauga lake shelter about two weeks ago. there is indeed a bear around there that is not at all afraid of humans. the said bear came right up to the shelter area within 10 or 15 feet(twice!). clapping and yelling didn't work so well as to scare the bear, so we resorted to banging a shovel on a rock. the bear left, but didn't seem to upset with all the noise?! be careful down there!

hikingshoes
08-11-2009, 11:38
Yeah,im glade both of you are safe and Ok too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-11-2009, 11:51
This is the ninth incident of this type I've heard about this year - all in North GA, NC and TN. While I usually keep my food in my tent, I wouldn't do it this year on the east coast. The combo of drought plus two mild winters has lead to a situation where more young bears survived the winters and less natural food is available to feed them. They are hungry and the competition for food is fierce this year - fierce enough to take the risk of raiding human campsites.

I'm on record at this site as saying bear-bagging isn't necessary and normally it isn't. But this year is different - please bear-bag your food this year so the bears don't start learning that backpackers' tents equal an easy meal. That would endanger both the bears and backpackers / hikers.

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2009, 11:57
Be thankful you weren't the hiker that had to be rescued south of Vandaventer

JJJ
08-11-2009, 11:57
Thanks, for the heads up guys. Glad you're okay.
They'll probably relocate that bear up to Damascus to learn some manners.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 12:05
He bit through the tent pole and the whole corner and ripped it all out.

Im fine, going back out but will hang my food tonite and tomorrow.

Yes it was isolated but it was from me and Little Bear not being smart. What we should have done was keep hiking to the shelter but I aint gonna speculate on what we should have done. It wasnt the bears fault, it was ours. Ill def use my head next time especially at the peak of bear season, that is if the bear doesnt get it first.

what good is hiking to a shelter? perfect place to attract bears and such

toegem
08-11-2009, 12:11
Wow! I'm glad to hear you all are alright, nothing like having to worry about a bear ripping throught the side of your tent in the middle of the night. Now the bear probably knows where there is a tent there could be food. I would not be least bit surprised if they hunt the bear down and destroy it, yanking a bag down from a pole or out of a tree is one thing, it's a totally different story when they invade your sleeping place.

humunuku
08-11-2009, 12:31
I would not be least bit surprised if they hunt the bear down and destroy it, yanking a bag down from a pole or out of a tree is one thing, it's a totally different story when they invade your sleeping place.

Wait, who invaded who's space? People invade the bears place. The bear was just being a bear, the food was left in a bad spot...

toegem
08-11-2009, 12:40
Wait, who invaded who's space? People invade the bears place. The bear was just being a bear, the food was left in a bad spot...

Touche` you are correct read between the lines, I was being total facetious.

Summit
08-11-2009, 13:06
Yeah, heard about your close encounter of the worst kind from Little Bear on FB. My question was, why was a guy who did an AT thru last year sleeping with food (LW's bad habbit aside!)? It only takes one time to make a believer out of keeping food out of your tent, I guess! :D Glad you guys are OK and going back. Have fun, hang your food (ha,ha) and enjoy! :)

OldStormcrow
08-11-2009, 16:13
I guess that it is a lucky thing that you happened to roll of of your food bag, rather than having your head grabbed along with it. I've never had a problem with bears getting into my tent, but I have had skunks and mice to chew through perfectly good tents and ruin them. I always hang my stuff up these days, but that is primarily for the bear's safety.....I wake up kinda mean.....

little bear
08-12-2009, 16:55
Yeah, heard about your close encounter of the worst kind from Little Bear on FB. My question was, why was a guy who did an AT thru last year sleeping with food (LW's bad habbit aside!)? It only takes one time to make a believer out of keeping food out of your tent, I guess! :D Glad you guys are OK and going back. Have fun, hang your food (ha,ha) and enjoy! :)

yeah for 6 years, I have always sleep with my food.....NOT anymore........

Rowdy Yates
08-12-2009, 17:41
i stayed at watauga lake shelter about two weeks ago. there is indeed a bear around there that is not at all afraid of humans. the said bear came right up to the shelter area within 10 or 15 feet(twice!). clapping and yelling didn't work so well as to scare the bear, so we resorted to banging a shovel on a rock. the bear left, but didn't seem to upset with all the noise?! be careful down there!

This is correct. I and HalfTrax spent the night here, with DAKS, and this black bear just walked into camp without even a "howdy". We managed to run it off but it just circle around to the front and came back again. I banged a shovel on the iron grill that was located there, but even then it didn't seem alarmed, so definitely be careful in this area.

wakapak
08-12-2009, 21:18
Talked with Chaco tonite, apparently the bear has been a big "problem" in that are for quite some time. I guess there were a few other reported incidences within the week before this happened to him. Word is the bear is going to be relocated to a different area sometime soon.

Tinker
08-12-2009, 21:39
This is correct. I and HalfTrax spent the night here, with DAKS, and this black bear just walked into camp without even a "howdy". We managed to run it off but it just circle around to the front and came back again. I banged a shovel on the iron grill that was located there, but even then it didn't seem alarmed, so definitely be careful in this area.

Most of what I've read about bear/human encounters in camp situations is that the bears associate the banging of pots and pans (and probably a shovel, too) with the preparation of food (don't we???). I've probably heard them around camp, but have never seen one on the trail (except, possibly, for the crashing in the bushes last Sept. in Maine when something very big and heavy took off just as I rounded the bend on the trail -even then, I didn't actually see the beast).

summermike
08-12-2009, 23:03
I'd be curious to know what was in the bag, just to get a better idea of what the bear was capable of sensing in route to your bag.When a bear ripped open my tent and took my pack there was NO food in it. Toiletries and food had been bear-bagged away from my tent. All it had was my journal, a pen, an extra buckle and tent pole repair, and a few other odds and ends that shouldn't have been attractive in terms of smell.

They will take anything that has food ODOR on it which probably includes your pack and the rest of your gear. Once they learn "bag-in-tent = food" it doesn't matter whether your bag or pack has food in it or not, a bear will simply take it.

Egads
08-13-2009, 04:25
Good that your loss was only gear

Snowleopard
08-13-2009, 10:48
When a bear ripped open my tent and took my pack there was NO food in it. Toiletries and food had been bear-bagged away from my tent. All it had was my journal, a pen, an extra buckle and tent pole repair, and a few other odds and ends that shouldn't have been attractive in terms of smell.

They will take anything that has food ODOR on it which probably includes your pack and the rest of your gear. Once they learn "bag-in-tent = food" it doesn't matter whether your bag or pack has food in it or not, a bear will simply take it.

The big problem is that bears can learn. Once one learns that tents sometimes contain food, they may rip into every tent they see just to check. All it takes is a couple of people with food (and food odor) in their tent to train the bears to go after it. People that don't use good bear practices (hanging or canisters) are training the bears how to take food.

In one of the national parks out west bears have learned that cars sometimes contain food and have learned to pop the trunks and break the windows. They'll go down the row of parked cars and break into all of them. If one in twenty cars contain a meal, they come out ahead of the game.

Tennessee Viking
08-13-2009, 11:46
I just got word that the Forest Service is going to try to catch the critter. As for the decision to relocate or put down the thing...don't know yet.

wakapak
08-13-2009, 12:40
I just got word that the Forest Service is going to try to catch the critter. As for the decision to relocate or put down the thing...don't know yet.

From what I understood, they were going to try relocating it. As far as I know, usually relocation is attempted before putting down, unless there has been someone hurt or worse by the critters. That's just my understanding though.

summermike
08-13-2009, 13:12
The big problem is that bears can learn. Once one learns that tents sometimes contain food, they may rip into every tent they see just to check.

Yet another reason you should never sleep with food in your tent.

Chaco Taco
08-13-2009, 19:24

So after being assaulted with everything from insults to friendly reminders, I hung my food last night. To answer the question, being a thru hiker made me sleep with my food. When you are in such big packs, animals typically leave you alone and dont mess with you because of the numbers. I hung my food less and less the further north I got. Typically, from now on, I will hang my food only when Im near a road or town that has frequent visitors from towns, or when its peak bear season, right now. Bob Peoples made a good observation about the surge in bear presense saying that during the drought, there were so few nuts and berries that the trees are overcompensating and bears are having a field day. I also must say that the Watauga Lake area is a mess. Its completely trashed with boat trash, camp trash, abandoned tents, coolers, 3 foot tall piles of trash and beer cans. Its a shame because it really isnt the bears fault. If you are hungry and at a place that keep having food, would you leave it???? I blame this one on myself. I accept responsibility for what happened and am going to continue to do things the way i always do them but just use better judgement about my food. Its one thing to criticize me about what i did wrong, but its alot easier to do that from a chair in front of a computer. Those of you that have sent well wishes, thank you. The rest can kiss my rosie red arse

Tennessee Viking
08-13-2009, 19:35
At least he didn't have a Chaco Taco for dessert.

Lone Wolf
08-13-2009, 19:51
So after being assaulted with everything from insults to friendly reminders, I hung my food last night. To answer the question, being a thru hiker made me sleep with my food. When you are in such big packs, animals typically leave you alone and dont mess with you because of the numbers. I hung my food less and less the further north I got. Typically, from now on, I will hang my food only when Im near a road or town that has frequent visitors from towns, or when its peak bear season, right now. Bob Peoples made a good observation about the surge in bear presense saying that during the drought, there were so few nuts and berries that the trees are overcompensating and bears are having a field day. I also must say that the Watauga Lake area is a mess. Its completely trashed with boat trash, camp trash, abandoned tents, coolers, 3 foot tall piles of trash and beer cans. Its a shame because it really isnt the bears fault. If you are hungry and at a place that keep having food, would you leave it???? I blame this one on myself. I accept responsibility for what happened and am going to continue to do things the way i always do them but just use better judgement about my food. Its one thing to criticize me about what i did wrong, but its alot easier to do that from a chair in front of a computer. Those of you that have sent well wishes, thank you. The rest can kiss my rosie red arse
i don't see any assaults, insults or criticizing in this thread

wakapak
08-13-2009, 21:05

i dont believe he was referring to them happening in this thread....

Panzer1
08-13-2009, 23:04
i'll still sleep with my food

Just don't do anything improper with that food bag..:D:D:D

Panzer

Blue Jay
08-14-2009, 08:16
Those of you that have sent well wishes, thank you. The rest can kiss my rosie red arse

It's sad how many threads deteriorate back to chafing.

brooklynkayak
08-14-2009, 12:47
When you are in such big packs, animals typically leave you alone and dont mess with you because of the numbers.

I do agree there. The big danger would be sleeping with food while tenting alone or in a small group in popular campsites.

I think that has been the most common issue with bears on the AT. And I believe, even then the bears ran away after ripping open the tent and finding a person inside.
The tents were ripped and I think someone was scratched up, but I'll bet it scarred the ***** of the occupants.

wakapak
08-14-2009, 12:53
I do agree there. The big danger would be sleeping with food while tenting alone or in a small group in popular campsites.

I think that has been the most common issue with bears on the AT. And I believe, even then the bears ran away after ripping open the tent and finding a person inside.
The tents were ripped and I think someone was scratched up, but I'll bet it scarred the ***** of the occupants.

No one was scratched the other nite when Chaco's tent was ripped...just the food bag was stolen.

Petr
08-14-2009, 13:42
I'm planning on NOBOing starting in late January; would it be safe to say that I'm less likely to run into bears at that time of year?

Lone Wolf
08-14-2009, 13:43
I'm planning on NOBOing starting in late January; would it be safe to say that I'm less likely to run into bears at that time of year?

yeah. unlikely

Blissful
08-14-2009, 14:46
No one was scratched the other nite when Chaco's tent was ripped...just the food bag was stolen.

Just mental scars too....

:eek:

Close encounter.

Chaco Taco
08-14-2009, 18:33
Yea thats why I kept hiking and made sure I stayed out for a night so i could just get over it. Its done, Im over it.

Chaco Taco
08-14-2009, 18:34

Its all been deleted

brooklynkayak
08-14-2009, 18:46

Some black bears can get more aggressive if they are really hungry and summer is coming to a close.
There have been a few isolated cases of people being dragged out of their tents near my folks house in Utah. It may be rare, but it does happen.
I'd guess it's more dangerous to drive a car to the trailhead than to sleep with your food.

Nearly Normal
08-14-2009, 19:07
I hear bear populations are increasing in the southeast. How many is too many for the support habitat area? Hunting seasons and tags may need increasing. I think bear season is only 2 weeks in South Carolina.

sloopjonboswell
08-15-2009, 04:25
eh. glad your alright chaco. hunting season is just around the corner.

LimpsAlong
09-18-2009, 21:01
Lets see, bear in my tent
Taurus 44 Tracker in my tent
I will make the bear leave
Though he may not go far

Snowleopard
09-19-2009, 10:15
In 2004 to 2006, there were between 21 and 45 home break ins by bears in the Catskills. When my parents lived in the N. Catskills, there were bear on our property but we never even saw one.
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12314
Scroll down to see the article.

Tipi Walter
09-19-2009, 17:22

Why not catch and relocate the people who sleep with food in their tents? Cut the bears some slack and tranquilize and radio tag the food-in-tent crowd.

I just got thru reading a good book by Nick Jans called THE GRIZZLY MAZE and here's some bear facts:

** Grizzlies are by far more dangerous than black bears.
** Grizzlies zealously defend a carcass or their food, black bears do not.
** "If a black bear commits to an all-out attack, it probably means to eat you, while a grizzly generally is going to slap you around and then retreat". NICK JANS
** Predatory black bear attacks tend to occur in broad daylight and seldom in a camp situation while grizzly predation usually happens at night and in camp.
** "Female black bears with cubs aren't likely to attack and maul in defense of their offspring". NICK JANS. Grizzlies are a direct opposite.

NICK JANS Recommendations
** Make noise while moving.
** Hike in groups.
** Never keep food in your tent. "It's crazy", Jans says.

I hear bear populations are increasing in the southeast. How many is too many for the support habitat area? Hunting seasons and tags may need increasing. I think bear season is only 2 weeks in South Carolina.

What about the human overpopulation in the southeast? How many is too many for the support-habitat area?

Snowleopard
09-19-2009, 17:49
In the Catskills of NY, the bear population has increased since the 70's from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. In the 60s, there were basically no bear in Connecticut or Massachusetts (there may have been a very small remnant population in W. MA). Now they are common in NW CT and W. and Central Mass. Around here, bear are reappearing in their historic range in fairly densely populated suburban and urban areas.

Tipi Walter said: Why not catch and relocate the people who sleep with food in their tents? Cut the bears some slack and tranquilize and radio tag the food-in-tent crowd.
I like the idea, but the bigger problem is people living (in houses not tents) in bear territory not securing their garbage, or even feeding bears. In the northeast, I expect bear [or rather people] problems to be most severe in the densely populated areas south of the Catskills. There have been lots of problems there with bear getting into garbage (or more precisely, people being careless with their garbage).

Bill Strickland
09-19-2009, 19:35
Have you guys ever thought of taking firecrackers? The time I shot one near a bear, he made a new trail through the woods, fast. Jakebrake

WalkingStick75
09-19-2009, 22:52
Chaco I'm very happy to hear the you are ok. You fell victim to being complacent. This is why every sport, every profession preaches safety. I applaud that you being an experienced hiker decided to post this incident. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. Personally I did, I just returned from a hiking trip in Quebec, they have lots of Black Bears too. On a couple nights I only hung my food bag inside the shelter, just to lazy to hang it properly.

Nearly Normal
09-20-2009, 01:51
Have you guys ever thought of taking firecrackers? The time I shot one near a bear, he made a new trail through the woods, fast. Jakebrake

Hey Bill,
Have you seen any lately in your neck of the woods?
I hope you're getting some trail time.
Carl

Bill Strickland
09-20-2009, 06:18
No, Carl, I haven't been on a trail since a short 33 miler last November. Been looking after two old women. My mother and my wife.

DAJA
09-20-2009, 10:29
Once again Tipi is the voice of reason... Human selfishness, entitlement and arrogance is by far the most dangerous thing to humans and the planet we share... Why can't we relocate food bag sleepers to heavily populated habitat, oh wait, they're already on the AT...

Luckly most food bag sleepers don't venture far into truely remote wilderness to spread thier poor camping practices to the wildlife, leaving those area's safe for those of us who choose to venture away from the crowds...

For those who claim they are too lazy to hang a food bag, it takes less than a minute once you've found the right tree... How could a hiker be that lazy?

Lonewolf excluded, please hang your food for the sake of those who follow behind you... It's one of those things like packing out your trash, not only is it the right thing to do, it is being considerate of those who follow you and the critters that live there...

Father Dragon
09-20-2009, 13:51
Yeah that part of the trail there is pretty nasty and it doesn't surprise me at all that a bear got bold enough to yogi some food. What a scary situation

I took my daughter up to SNP in July after my section and did we did the White Oak Canyon and Old Rag trails, we saw lots of bears and I had to chase some off one night at the foot of Rag. They were insistent on hanging around and didn't leave till I pegged one with a rock (accidentally). That morning while we were packing up I found a slimjim in her pack. She got an ear full and I gave myself and good mental slapping too for not checking. I saw more bears on that trip than in all my other trips combined. They were totally unconcerned with being around people.

Big Dawg
09-20-2009, 13:55
Lonewolf excluded, please hang your food for the sake of those who follow behind you... It's one of those things like packing out your trash, not only is it the right thing to do, it is being considerate of those who follow you and the critters that live there...

Why is LW excluded?... his food sleeping skills don't apply? :rolleyes:

DAJA
09-20-2009, 14:25
Because unlike bears, LW is a slow learner and will never change....

Big Dawg
09-20-2009, 16:14
Because unlike bears, LW is a slow learner and will never change....

Slow learner... or set in his ways w/ what works for him? hmmmm... :-?

food in a tent :eek:... the sky is falling, the sky is falling :rolleyes:

Nearly Normal
09-20-2009, 17:31
No, Carl, I haven't been on a trail since a short 33 miler last November. Been looking after two old women. My mother and my wife.

All best wishes to you and thanks again for the support you've shown me.

bobcat
09-20-2009, 18:18
bobcat
thats one thing i learned when out in the woods never leave food in your tent our around you when you go to sleep i always!! put my food up in a tree
well away from my camp because i was afraid something might get it like bigfoot
or some mountain monster he he!

dreamsoftrails
09-20-2009, 18:44
Be thankful you weren't the hiker that had to be rescued south of Vandaventer
what happenned there?

spirit4earth
09-22-2009, 09:16
Wow! I'm glad to hear you all are alright, nothing like having to worry about a bear ripping throught the side of your tent in the middle of the night. Now the bear probably knows where there is a tent there could be food. I would not be least bit surprised if they hunt the bear down and destroy it, yanking a bag down from a pole or out of a tree is one thing, it's a totally different story when they invade your sleeping place.

you might not have been serious, but the sad thing is that you're probably right.

spirit4earth
09-22-2009, 09:19
Why not catch and relocate the people who sleep with food in their tents? Cut the bears some slack and tranquilize and radio tag the food-in-tent crowd.

I just got thru reading a good book by Nick Jans called THE GRIZZLY MAZE and here's some bear facts:

** Grizzlies are by far more dangerous than black bears.
** Grizzlies zealously defend a carcass or their food, black bears do not.
** "If a black bear commits to an all-out attack, it probably means to eat you, while a grizzly generally is going to slap you around and then retreat". NICK JANS
** Predatory black bear attacks tend to occur in broad daylight and seldom in a camp situation while grizzly predation usually happens at night and in camp.
** "Female black bears with cubs aren't likely to attack and maul in defense of their offspring". NICK JANS. Grizzlies are a direct opposite.

NICK JANS Recommendations
** Make noise while moving.
** Hike in groups.
** Never keep food in your tent. "It's crazy", Jans says.

What about the human overpopulation in the southeast? How many is too many for the support-habitat area?

you're exactly right!

toccoaspinner
09-29-2009, 19:22
I hiked from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap this past Sunday and Monday. I came across 5 black bear, 2 of which were mama's with their cubs, and 1 was by itself just past Blue Mnt shelter. None of them posed me any threat. I actually was pretty close to the cubs, maybe 20 yards, took some pictures and went on my way. The mama's seemed concerned but didn't necessarily seem threatened by my presence. The last one I saw was huge and facing away from me when I came up on it, maybe 20 feet away (wind was blowing hard so I guess that's why it didn't hear me). When it turned around and saw me, it bolted.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_mCFnzqcTAFM/SsFqcimCMYI/AAAAAAAACf0/PdYh-hMGnrY/s640/100_0256.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_mCFnzqcTAFM/SsFqtWLNwOI/AAAAAAAACgg/zp_VR-iiZ50/s640/100_0270.JPG

toccoaspinner
09-29-2009, 19:23
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_mCFnzqcTAFM/SsFqaMp4LgI/AAAAAAAACfs/tppcE5VbM_E/s640/100_0255.JPG

Tipi Walter
09-29-2009, 19:58
I hiked from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap this past Sunday and Monday. I came across 5 black bear, 2 of which were mama's with their cubs, and 1 was by itself just past Blue Mnt shelter. None of them posed me any threat. I actually was pretty close to the cubs, maybe 20 yards, took some pictures and went on my way. The mama's seemed concerned but didn't necessarily seem threatened by my presence. The last one I saw was huge and facing away from me when I came up on it, maybe 20 feet away (wind was blowing hard so I guess that's why it didn't hear me). When it turned around and saw me, it bolted.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_mCFnzqcTAFM/SsFqcimCMYI/AAAAAAAACf0/PdYh-hMGnrY/s640/100_0256.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_mCFnzqcTAFM/SsFqtWLNwOI/AAAAAAAACgg/zp_VR-iiZ50/s640/100_0270.JPG

Great fotogs. I've seen around 14 bears in the last few years while out backpacking, but only on my last trip did I have the opportunity to photograph one. I saw a mother with 3 cubs and pulled out the old Sony Cybershot and took some poor quality video of the encounter. Below is a still of one of the young uns. I was shouting out useless words to let the mom know about my whereabouts(the natural tendency is to get stock still and quiet), and after one little yell a cub ran directly towards like I was his dead-beat Dad.

ScottC
09-29-2009, 20:38
I was out this past weekend and saw 6 bears together south of Iron Mtn Shelter - 3 adults and 3 cubs. I was crouched down watching one mother and two cubs when the other three walked up behind me within 15 feet. I guess my scent was knocked down with all the rain. I don't know who was more surprised - I stood up and the three beat it down the ridge!!!

toccoaspinner
09-29-2009, 22:08
Seeing them was a real treat. Until this past Sunday, I had never seen a bear in my life.

Nightwalker
02-26-2010, 01:16
yeah for 6 years, I have always sleep with my food.....NOT anymore........

I do when my dog is with me. When not, I hang PCT style. If done correctly, a bear needs thumbs to get the bag. The big if is picking the right size tree and limb.

Until two years ago, I NEVER hung my food. But I had the same (I think) bear come into camp three nights running. He stole a lot of people's food that section. Some of it even hung up.

Smart bear, though. He was afraid of my hound. She's mostly harmless, but if anyone or anything is coming at me when I'm laying down, she goes nuts. I love that.

Oh yeah: she also carries a gun, a phone and a sword. :)

Bear Cables
03-02-2010, 00:16

I couldn't agree more. Bears are bears and will do what bears do. Check out Bear.org for some very interesting studys and observatoins of black bears.

Tinker
03-02-2010, 00:21
Bears, Bear's, Bears'. '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Ok, I've used enough 's that no one needs to use them again.
Bears = More than one bear.
Bear's = Something belonging to a bear.
:)

Bear Cables
03-02-2010, 00:23

The researchers at the Bear Center in Ely MN recommend shaking a black trash bag at a bear that won't scare off by other means. It's the unexpected behaviors that scare them. They may get accustom to banging pots etc.

restlesss
03-02-2010, 01:55
I just read a post about a guy sleeping with his food and he was surprised a bear ripped it from his tent. After all the literature about hanging food in the woods. That is sure to be a future darwin award winner... so my question is does anyone else know of any other future Darwin Awards on the AT that you have seen?

thelowend
03-02-2010, 03:13
isolated incident. i'll still sleep with my food

agreed. its situational. camp in the right spot (ie-not in established camp sites) and seal your food correctly and youre good 99% pf the time.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-02-2010, 19:18
As a matter of practice I always hang my food bag-bears become habituated if they associate a tent with food--- guess what happens to the next guy down the trail in a tent-- be a good steward and hang your food bag --takes a few minutes and may save someone's life later on including the bears