PDA

View Full Version : Want to Live in a Trail Town?

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2009, 17:24
A good friend has rooms for rent on his property in Hanover NH. Prices range from $600.00-$750.00 per month depending on size of the rooms.

Property is on beautiful wooded land just .3 from the Appalachian Trail; 2 minutes by car to downtown and campus, a few more by bike, and less than 12 on foot. Immediately adjacent property (a nature preserve) contains cross country ski trails and a swimming hole better than any found on the entire A.T.

Immediate occupancy available.

Deposits and references required.

For more info if you're interested, please write me at baltimorejack@hotmail dot com

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 20:15
jesus! that much for a ROOM?

ki0eh
08-11-2009, 20:16
That's a mortgage payment in Duncannon. :)

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 20:20
hanover ain't much of a "trail town" though. nobody flocks to go there to live.

now here in damascus we have 20 or so AT hikers living and working

sasquatch2014
08-11-2009, 20:29
Well here in Pawling I have a nice place for sale that has private wooded land that goes right up to the AT corridor. Only 1 1/2 hrs from NYC nice with tons of good light for only $750,000. Hell taxes can't be much more than $15,000 -$20,000 a year.

sticks&stones
08-11-2009, 20:36
that's more than i pay to live in a major metropolitan area, and i don't have to share a bathroom.

CowHead
08-12-2009, 06:48
great now were into real estate....

Jeff
08-12-2009, 07:36
New England is an expensive place to live.

Homer&Marje
08-12-2009, 07:42
I have a hand made wooden table for sale....It can be moved anywhere within a few feet of the AT, PCT, CDT or really any trail you want.

$40:D

Rockhound
08-12-2009, 07:48
$600 + for just a room? That does seem a little absurd. Certainly out of my price range and I could not imagine anyone that could afford it wanting to. Mortgages can be less that that even in New England. I think you might have to appeal to the silver spoon fed kids that can have daddy pay for it while they get there over priced ivy league education

Frick Frack
08-12-2009, 07:57
$600 + for just a room? That does seem a little absurd. Certainly out of my price range and I could not imagine anyone that could afford it wanting to. Mortgages can be less that that even in New England. I think you might have to appeal to the silver spoon fed kids that can have daddy pay for it while they get there over priced ivy league education

We are living on over 10 acres in a mid-sized farmhouse in N. GA only 45 minutes from Amicalola for that.....geesh. I did enjoy how the snooty locals in Hanover looked at us in disgust thinking we were vagrants...very amuseing. Cool town but you can't take me north of the Mason Dixon....

neighbor dave
08-12-2009, 08:26
:-?is the yard still littered with old cars,fridges,rims,tires,gadgets,and misc. junk???:welcome

Gaiter
08-12-2009, 08:37
damn, thats big city prices not prices for a town of 8,500, in fact thats more than i pay sharing a huge 2b apt in a prime location here in the atl.....

sasquatch2014
08-12-2009, 09:03
I have a hand made wooden table for sale....It can be moved anywhere within a few feet of the AT, PCT, CDT or really any trail you want.

$40:D

If you board up only three of the side and sleep under it it will be just like some of the older shelters on the trail. For those of you you are not UL hikers you could even strap it to the back of your pack and its like a mobil home for the trail.

yaduck9
08-12-2009, 09:06
Maybe we should have this thread moved to the humor section.....

Jest my two cents

:rolleyes:

kanga
08-12-2009, 09:32
that'll be $600.02..

Hooch
08-12-2009, 09:38
that'll be $600.02..Actually, it's $600.02-750.02. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

jersey joe
08-12-2009, 10:40
That doesn't sound terribly expensive to me, but I live in Northern NJ where everything is pretty expensive.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2009, 10:43
That doesn't sound terribly expensive to me, but I live in Northern NJ where everything is pretty expensive.

$2400-$3000 per month for just a ROOM sounds totally reasonable to me. i'm movin' to hanover

Lone Wolf
08-12-2009, 10:47
$2400-$3000 per month for just a ROOM sounds totally reasonable to me. i'm movin' to hanover

never mind. $600-$750 is still way to much for just a room

leeki pole
08-12-2009, 10:48
I'd move there too, but only if wireless internet was included.:rolleyes:

ShoelessWanderer
08-12-2009, 10:48
Live in a beach town and can get a 1 bedroom apartment for that!

skinny minnie
08-12-2009, 11:08
Hanover is home to an ivy league school. Therefore, rent is high. Rent in Boston, Ma would be in that price range... and it is also around that price in Western Mass., which is home to quite a few colleges, including Amherst College, Smith College, etc.

If utilities are included the price (while a little high) is pretty standard for New England. Especially a New England college town. Pricing would also be contingent on the number of rooms/people living there... if this is a home that two or three people would be living in by themselves, then it's a great deal. If it's 5 or 6 rooms getting rented out it should be cheaper.

skinny minnie
08-12-2009, 11:12
and let me add that quite often, utilities are NOT included and that would still be a standard New England price range for rent. It's tough to find cheap places to live around here.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2009, 19:05
Thanks, Minnie, for injecting a voice of common sense here, or at least a voice that knows what it's talking about. After all, I'm sure that Lone Wolf, for example, is an expert on New England college towns, having spent so much time in them recently. :D

A few things......yes, utilities are included, and no, we're not talking about sharing ahouse with five or six people. We're talking about sharing a house or apartment with two or three. And in truth, for a place within ewalking distance of downtown Hanover or Dartmouth, the prices are not out of line, tho folks who've visited here two or perhaps three times in the past decade are welcome to feel differently.

Oh, and note to Neighbor Dave.......yeah, my friend who owns the property still collects cars, trucks, bicycles, appliances and other stuff. One of his hobbies is to fix these things up and donate them to charity. Some of the construction stuff and lumber has been given to Habitat for Humanity and other local projects. Sorry if this added feature to the property put your nose out of joint; oddly enough, of the several hundred folks who we've entertained here for free over the years, never mind the many thru-hikers who've chosen to live with us, sometimes for years, you're the only one who seems troubled by it. We'll sure try and clean it up the next time you visit.

Why not call us at century's end, eh? :D

Sly
08-12-2009, 19:06
Jack was a little lax in his description but if utilities, cable and internet came with that, $600-$750 per month isn't all that bad.

Added: posted after Jack (obviously)

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2009, 19:13
The property gets wireless. There are several different dwellings in question, Sly, and people pay for their own television package here......as they usually do elsewhere.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2009, 19:42
dartmouth students should be jumping at the chance to rent cheap rooms

max patch
08-12-2009, 19:44
The current issue of Money Magazine has their annual 100 Best Places to Live in the US list. The 2nd best place to live in the US is Hanover:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/moneymag/0707/gallery.BPTL_top_100.moneymag/2.html

One quote from the article...

"homes close to town can be pricey"

suggests that the asking rental rate just might be more than fair.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2009, 19:45
Actually, Wolf, considering the proximity to campus and the size of the rooms, the place is cheaper than lots of other places in Hanover. And we usually do rent to students or graduate students, but we've also had a lot of hikers over the years, and we enjoy having them here.

Most of them, anyway. :D

Alligator
08-12-2009, 20:21
Hellooo...It's just a property of possible interest to hikers. Occasionally people do that here. If you are interested contact Jack. If you are not interested move on or go spend time cranking people in your local real estate guide:rolleyes:.

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2009, 20:57
Well said!

The Weasel
08-12-2009, 21:08
Live in a beach town and can get a 1 bedroom apartment for that!

Beach towns here get that much for a week.

TW

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2009, 21:15
I would love to live in a trail town,

But the commute to work would be a killer! What do people do for work in a trail town?

the goat
08-12-2009, 21:20
it's definitely a unique & beautiful property, anyone would be lucky to live there.

The Weasel
08-12-2009, 21:21

But the commute to work would be a killer! What do people do for work in a trail town?

Some live off their investments. The others, well, they work.

TW

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2009, 21:23
Ha Ha,,,,

The message was too short ... Please give lengthy reply!

The Weasel
08-12-2009, 22:08
Ha Ha,,,,

The message was too short ... Please give lengthy reply!

OK. Here is "lengthy" reply: The work long.

TW

Sly
08-13-2009, 01:19
Sly, and people pay for their own television package here......as they usually do elsewhere.

Kind of dumb when you could all atleast split it.

lunchbx
08-13-2009, 01:50

darn tootin thats why i hopped the border into easton pa, much cheaper. Plus wind gap is about 25-20min by car horray for me.

lunchbx
08-13-2009, 01:53

be a prof. trail angel Love ya mary :D

Maddog
08-13-2009, 03:40
A good friend has rooms for rent on his property in Hanover NH. Prices range from $600.00-$750.00 per month depending on size of the rooms.

Property is on beautiful wooded land just .3 from the Appalachian Trail; 2 minutes by car to downtown and campus, a few more by bike, and less than 12 on foot. Immediately adjacent property (a nature preserve) contains cross country ski trails and a swimming hole better than any found on the entire A.T.

Immediate occupancy available.

Deposits and references required.

For more info if you're interested, please write me at baltimorejack@hotmail dot com no thanks! 3hrs from springer is close enough for me! im not THAT obsessed!:rolleyes:

yaduck9
08-13-2009, 09:28

Sounds more like a college town that happens to be near a trail. And nearer the end of the trail then the beginning ( unless your one of those that SOBO :eek: )

So one answer might be " They work at the college".;)

Jack Tarlin
08-13-2009, 14:07
Yaduck is right......the two largest local employers are indeed Dartmouth College and its associated hospital/medical school, which is probably the finest health care facility in the Northeast outside of Boston.

But there's other work here as well. Previous hiker friends who've lived here worked for the college; in the building trades; in local restaurants and shops like the bookstore or one of the local outdoor stores; at nearby ski resorts; at several hi-tech companies, etc. There's certainly work here for those who want it. If anyone wants me to send them a copy of the local newspaper and its Help Wanted section to get an idea of what sort of work is available, I'd be happy to do it.

Oh, and since people were curious, I talked to my friend who owns the place, and I was evidently mis-informed. Wireless internet is included with your rent; so is cable on most of the property (several outlying buildings are not included); utilities are paid for.

Looking forward to having some hikers stay over this evening; the weatherman is promising some more sunshine this weekend, and the swimming hole is running crystal clear.

Hope to see some of you here sometime!

Jack Tarlin
08-13-2009, 14:20
Another note to Yaduck. Hanover isn't merely a collge town that lies near to the Trail. The Appalachian Trail does in fact go right thru the center of town (down Main St. in fact), and has done so for decades. The phone poles and street lights are liberally white-blazed here, and hikers have enjoyed passing thru and visiting Hanover for many years. While there is a shortage of cheap lodging options (not unusual in New England, unfortunately), and while the laundromat is a bit out of town, Hanover offers all sorts of other things to hikers: For starters, plenty of friendly and affordable restaurants and unique places to eat, including some that serve AYCE meals and at least one that gives out free treats to hikers; several different outdoor stores; the friendliest library on the whole Trail; a free campsite on the edge of town; the best coffee shop on the Trail; the best affordable Sunday brunch on the Trail; perhaps the best pizza (Ramunto's); maybe the best burger (5-Olde); perhaps the best supermarket on the Trail; the best beer/tobacco shop on the Trail; a great movie theater; an art Museum; free local bus service to nearby towns with more services; and lastly, some pretty nice local scenery on Main Street, especially in the summertime. :D

In short, Hanover isn't just a college town that is near the Trail; it's actually very much an Appalachian Trail town, and is one of the best. I feel fortunate to live here.

Frick Frack
08-13-2009, 14:35
On our SOBO last year Dirt Cowboy's Cafe was THE BEST coffee on the trail by a million miles and the COOP was the best resupply on the trail by a zillion miles!

mudcap
08-13-2009, 15:49
On our SOBO last year Dirt Cowboy's Cafe was THE BEST coffee on the trail by a million miles and the COOP was the best resupply on the trail by a zillion miles!
I second that one,the COOP is very cool.

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2009, 18:32
Good answers keep them coming!

Lemni Skate
08-13-2009, 19:30
If your goal is to live in a trail town you can do it a lot cheaper.

At least you get to pay $600 for a room in tropical New England.

Slo-go'en
08-13-2009, 19:44
Move to Berlin, NH - the rents cheap here, but no work to speak of, hence, cheap rent! However, being close to 100's of miles of hiking trails and views of the White Mts makes up for being poor!

Lone Wolf
08-13-2009, 19:44
Good answers keep them coming!

what's the question?

Lugnut
08-13-2009, 19:50
Is it time for Whiteblaze Jeopardy? :banana

Red River Falls
08-13-2009, 22:46
Isn't Hanover where Bryson lived when he started his infamous jaunt on the AT? Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, on a side note, I was told by a section hiker this spring that Walk in the Woods was being made into a "major" movie. Can anyone confirm this?

BTW, I would consider renting a room in my house for $600/mo very near the AT and even offer shuttle service (by appt.).

Erin
08-13-2009, 23:37
The only trail town I saw was Hot Springs on our section. We all loved it. I am originally from a small town so the no cell service and Dollar General is usual. I have always loved Tennessee. I fell in love with North Carolina. I would love to retire in that area. AndI have never been to Damascus.
As to the Bill Bryson movie rumor, I always heard that they would or should film the Katz scene where he thows out everything at the beginning of the hike on the UP to Lover's Leap northbound out of Hot Springs.

Frick Frack
08-14-2009, 07:40
The only trail town I saw was Hot Springs on our section. We all loved it. I am originally from a small town so the no cell service and Dollar General is usual. I have always loved Tennessee. I fell in love with North Carolina. I would love to retire in that area. AndI have never been to Damascus.
As to the Bill Bryson movie rumor, I always heard that they would or should film the Katz scene where he thows out everything at the beginning of the hike on the UP to Lover's Leap northbound out of Hot Springs.

Damascus & Hot Springs get our pick as #1 trail towns by a large margin

And Tennessee, well you can take me out of Tennessee but you can't take the Tennessee out of me!

yaduck9
08-14-2009, 08:38
[quote=Jack Tarlin;879394]Yaduck is right......the two largest local employers are indeed Dartmouth College and its associated hospital/medical school, which is probably the finest health care facility in the Northeast outside of Boston.

I'm right...........:D

yaduck9
08-14-2009, 08:38
In short, Hanover isn't just a college town that is near the Trail; it's actually very much an Appalachian Trail town, and is one of the best. I feel fortunate to live here.[/quote]

I'm wrong.....:(

yaduck9
08-14-2009, 08:40
I guess I'm right and wrong at the same time...;)

Have a nice Friday everyone...:p

CowHead
08-14-2009, 09:29
A little song about living in a trail town

I like to live in a trail town
Where the raccoons and deer run wild
Where bears and cougars abound
Every day of my life
Just not next to my ex-wife

It’s up the mountain and down the trail to my
Little spot in the town
Where the neighbors see me pee on the trees
That’s why I live in a trail town

Where smelly hikers can sleep on my lawn
As you watch the sunrise at dawn
Every day of my life
Just not next to Warraghiyagey

Moo

The Weasel
08-14-2009, 09:48
While I respect Jack's POV, I don't think Hanover is really a 'trail town'. It's a great town along the trail. But 'trail town' is, to a large degree, defined by the trail itself, and Hot Springs and especially Damascus do that; the trail is what draws many, if not most, people to visit them. Hanover, on the other hand, is an urban area, with many things that draw people: It is a shopping center for the region, an air transport hub, and, of course a medical and educational center with Dartmouth. While the AT is well known to the town, the AT is not central to the life of Hanover, even if it once was, and even if much of the New England stretch owes much to Dartmouth. It's a great place to go through, and the facilities are fantastic. But if you lived in Hanover, you wouldn't be living a life that was immersed in the AT. Although you should.

TW

leeki pole
08-14-2009, 10:36
But no SEC football in Hanover. Sadly, I'm out.:(

Lone Wolf
08-14-2009, 11:33
While I respect Jack's POV, I don't think Hanover is really a 'trail town'. It's a great town along the trail. But 'trail town' is, to a large degree, defined by the trail itself, and Hot Springs and especially Damascus do that; the trail is what draws many, if not most, people to visit them. Hanover, on the other hand, is an urban area, with many things that draw people: It is a shopping center for the region, an air transport hub, and, of course a medical and educational center with Dartmouth. While the AT is well known to the town, the AT is not central to the life of Hanover, even if it once was, and even if much of the New England stretch owes much to Dartmouth. It's a great place to go through, and the facilities are fantastic. But if you lived in Hanover, you wouldn't be living a life that was immersed in the AT. Although you should.

TW

hey. we agree

kanga
08-14-2009, 11:40
i thought when hell froze over, it would be a little colder than this?

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2009, 12:08
Gee, looks like Weasel knows some stuff about Hanover that I managed to miss these past thirteen years.

Hanover is an "air hub?" gee, I thought the airport was over in Lebanon, and it's pretty tiny.

And as for being a "shopping center", if you're not a doctor oor dean's wife, you generally don't do much shopping in downtown Hanover. The stores there, whether we're talking retail, clothing, you name it, are too off-beat, too boutiquey, and altogether too expensive. Normal people do most of their shopping at the real shopping centers, some miles away in West Lebanon.

And I have to disagree with Weasel's definition of a Trail town. For folks who've actually thru-hiked, a Trail town is generally a town on or very close to the Trail where hikers visit in order to Re-Supply; shop; eat restaurant meals; lodge at a motel or hostel; replace lost or damaged gear, etc. Essentially, a Trail town is a place for hikers to pause, rest, and re-charge their batteries before tackling the next stretch of Trail.

All of the above certainly applies to Hanover. For anyone to suggest that one of the most popular stopping places on the Trail, a place where the Trail goes right down Main St........for anyone to imply that this isn't a real Trail town is pretty silly. Thousands of past hikers would say otherwise.

By Weasel's defiinition, Hiawassee,Franklin, Erwin, Pearisburg, Waynesboro, Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, Delaware Water Gap, Kent, Williamstown, Manchester Center, Gorham, Andover, Stratton, and Rangeley don't measure up either.

So where are the Trail towns, then? Hot Springs, Damascus, and Monson? :D

I think not.

max patch
08-14-2009, 12:14

TW

Refresh our memory; what year was it again that you stopped off in Hanover while on your thru?

The Old Fhart
08-14-2009, 12:18
Jack Tarlin-"So where are the Trail towns, then? Hot Springs, Damascus, and Monson?:D"Actually the trail hasn't gone through Monson for years.

wakapak
08-14-2009, 12:22
Actually the trail hasn't gone through Monson for years.

my trail did :D (sorry, couldnt resist)

max patch
08-14-2009, 12:26
If Hanover isn't a "trail town" then why in the world did I spend 3 days there on my thru? Longest town stay of the hike. And loved every second of it.

Alligator
08-14-2009, 12:31
If Hanover isn't a "trail town" then why in the world did I spend 3 days there on my thru? Longest town stay of the hike. And loved every second of it.Tell us her name at least and maybe we can answer your question;).

Dr O
08-14-2009, 14:27
damn, thats big city prices not prices for a town of 8,500, in fact thats more than i pay sharing a huge 2b apt in a prime location here in the atl.....

I pay $149/week to live in an Intown Suites in Kennesaw. Where's a cheap place to live in that area? All the craigslist ads seem to want $500+ for just a bedroom.

The Weasel
08-14-2009, 14:46
Refresh our memory; what year was it again that you stopped off in Hanover while on your thru?

2000. Didn't complete the Thru (yet). Actually, thought Norwich a little more 'New England' but I do agree that the Coop is a fantastic store.

Jack and I probably don't disagree as much as he'd like us to, because I think we each self-define our terms. But yeah, if you want to fly to the trail, Hanover is one of the closest airports; it may not be Boston, but it's a regional shopping hub (including the kind of tony stores, too); and it's associations with Dartmouth are what define the town far more than the trail, and have since before The Dartmouth College Case, one of the most important cases in American constitutional law ("It is a small college, but there are those of us who love it....", said Daniel Webster, to the Supreme Court.) So yeah, I think of Hiawassee as a trail town, but not Abingdon, although their about the same distance from the AT. Why? Well, "Google" "abingdon" and "appalachian trail" together, and you get about 18000 hits; change it to "damascus" and you get almost twice as many. That's a rough tactic, but is shows the focus of a town. Hiawasee? Gets about 10,000. Hanover? About 25,000, which, for its proximity to the AT, isn't that much more than Abingdon.

What does all this prove? Well, other than that I spent a few quiet minutes outside Hanover saying a prayer over the grave of a Medal of Honor recipient from the Civil War, only that there are a lot of neat places along the AT. Hanover is among the best. I don't think Lone Wolf disagrees with that, either.

TW

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2009, 16:36
Geez, Weasel, I'd sure hate to live in a world where we judge the significance of things by how many Google hits they generate.

For example, if you Google "Britney Spears", you get 74 million hits.

"Meryl Streep"?

You get five million.

In Weasel world, does this mean Ms. Spears is the more noteworthy performer or public figure, by a ratio of 15 to 1? :D

I'd like to think otherwise if that's OK.

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2009, 16:44
Decided to test Weasel's theory again.

Just for the helluva it, I Googled "Marc Singer". Singer, for those of you who missed it, was the star of the 1982 cult hit "Beastmaster", which also starred the unforgettable Tanya Roberts.

If you Google "Marc Singer", you get 29,400,000 hits. Ya, it surprised me, too.

On the other hand, ya Google "Mark Twain, you get a lousy 3,400,000.

So obviously, the estimable Mr. Singer is more than nine times as culturally significant as the late Mr. Twain.

Right, Weasel?

Honestly, people that use Google statistics to make a point are right up there with folks who cite Wikipedia as their primary information source.

Actually, no. Some of the stuff on Wikipedia is actually accurate.

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2009, 16:51
Tom Cruise? 28 Million hits. That's a lot.

Thomas Jefferson? 18 Million.

Gee, did I make my point yet? :D

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2009, 16:59
And on a final note, if you Google "Lone Wolf Damascus" you get 50,000 hits.

You Google that cheesy movie "Lone Wolf McQuade" you get 60,000.

It would seem then that our very own Lone Wolf of Whiteblaze is damn near as popular as Chuck Norris. :D

We've long suspected this. And now thanx to new and innovative research techniques introduced by Weasel, we've proven it.

trippclark
08-14-2009, 17:14
And if you Google "Baltimore Jack" and "dead horse" (as in the one being beaten right now), you get 63,400 hits!!

Sorry, Jack, I could not resist!
:D

yaduck9
08-14-2009, 17:48
[quote=The Weasel;

What does all this prove? Well, other than that I spent a few quiet minutes outside Hanover saying a prayer over the grave of a Medal of Honor recipient from the Civil War, only that there are a lot of neat places along the AT. Hanover is among the best. I don't think Lone Wolf disagrees with that, either.

TW[/quote]

Yeah, Hanover, I'm sure, is a nice place.

Just, be careful of the natives, they're a bit sensitive at times.;)

Frick Frack
08-14-2009, 18:17
If Hanover isn't a "trail town" then why in the world did I spend 3 days there on my thru? Longest town stay of the hike. And loved every second of it.

ditto, us too

yaduck9
08-14-2009, 18:54
Here is a link to wikipedia for Hanover, NH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanover,_NH

For those who are interested.

The Weasel
08-14-2009, 19:17
Ummm, Jack? Dial it down a little.

First, no one that has the brains of a sack of hammers thinks your town is anything other than a great place. Not me, not anyone else I know or respect. When I was at Cornell, for instance, Dartmouth was one of the few places we could regularly expect to win at football, so we loved Hanover. Since then, it has only gotten better (even if Cornell's football team hasn't).

Second, my use of Google expressly noted that it's a rough statistic, but even the ones you pick up (although you didn't have associations, as I did, between two terms e.g. "Meryl Streep" and "academy award" gets more hits, by the way, than "Britney Spears" and "academy award". And you know I'm right: Ask people in NH what Hanover is noted for, and most will say, first of all, Dartmouth. Ask people in Virginia about Damascus, and they'll say, "the AT" and/or the other trails that run through it. That doesn't diminish Hanover's value as a part of the AT. But Hanover is a college town more than it's anything else.

Third, this thread started - and should remain - about your kind mention of a good place to live that is close to the trail, and reasonably (by any legtimate standards) priced. You think, with pride, that Hanover is the epitome of what it takes to be a 'trail town'. I don't think it's up there as high as you do, while I like it as a place to walk to, from and in. You don't have to be right, or wrong, for it to be a good place to enjoy the AT, and it is.

TW

kanga
08-14-2009, 19:52
jeez, jack. no pork chops to manhandle?

saimyoji
08-14-2009, 20:23
Yaduck is right......the two largest local employers are indeed Dartmouth College and its associated hospital/medical school, which is probably the finest health care facility in the Northeast outside of Boston.

just a query to you Baltimore Jack....do you consider Baltimore to be in the North East? because i'd argue that a little hospital there just might give anything in boston a run for its money. :D

Nearly Normal
08-14-2009, 20:31
Too cold.
Too many yankees.
No shrimp to cast net.
They talk funny there. :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
08-15-2009, 09:18
Saim:

There are indeed some great hospitals in Baltimore, but historically, the city has always been more of a Southern town. To answer your question, I've always considered Maryland to be a mid-Atlantic state, so no, I don't consider it to be part of what is traditionally called "the Northeast".

saimyoji
08-15-2009, 11:50
Saim:

There are indeed some great hospitals in Baltimore, but historically, the city has always been more of a Southern town. To answer your question, I've always considered Maryland to be a mid-Atlantic state, so no, I don't consider it to be part of what is traditionally called "the Northeast".

fair enough. i happened to get just a little defensive there. :o

sasquatch2014
08-15-2009, 14:37
Hellooo...It's just a property of possible interest to hikers. Occasionally people do that here. If you are interested contact Jack. If you are not interested move on or go spend time cranking people in your local real estate guide:rolleyes:.

Yeah do that just not me i get enough people who are not "Real" buyers wasting my time.

Fly By Mike
08-16-2009, 08:08
If you want to live in a trail town that is very affordable come to Millinocket, ME - the last (or first) town on the trail and sometimes called "The Magic City". You can buy a good house here for $40K or rent one for $350/month. Millinocket is featured as the "Trail Town" in the next issue of AT Journeys and its a good article. I know because I wrote it.

The Scribe
08-16-2009, 10:44
fair enough. i happened to get just a little defensive there. :o

Someone got defensive in this thread. WOW. :D

seaside
08-16-2009, 20:52
Saim:

I agree with Jack. Baltimore is mid-Atlantic.

The Weasel
08-16-2009, 21:42
Maryland is 'Southern.' The Mason-Dixon Line defines Maryland to the north and between it and Delaware and Maryland was a 'slave' state before the Civil War. So it counts as 'Southern' by pretty much any standard.

TW

saimyoji
08-16-2009, 22:01
ya know, its weird....i lived there for a number of years, but somehow always felt a part of the NE, not New England, but NE nonetheless. i guess i was sheltered and ignorant. :o

Different Socks
08-17-2009, 00:30

I lived in New England for 3 years( 3 summers in Bar Harbor, ME, one winter each in Rutland, VT and North Conway, NH). This was in the late 80's, early 90's. Back then the only way to survive was to work 2 jobs, no matter where you lived(unless you commute to work or are some kind of professional).
The amazing part? I went back to visit a few years ago. I stopped in Bar Harbor, North Conway and the Whites, as well as a few towns in VT and NY. Every where I went, it was like I never left. People I talked to said they had been living there for years or all their lives and every single person said the same thing: In order to survive the housing and food costs, you HAVE TO WORK 2 JOBS!!

So I am guessing that if my rent was that high for just a rom in Hanover, I'd have to work 2 jobs to to pay it. What fun is it to live in such a great place if you have no time to enjoy it?

slowandlow
08-17-2009, 12:12
Maryland is 'Southern.'
TW

Maryland is about as Southern as Minnesota.

Reid
08-17-2009, 12:22

haha. Yea I use to date a girl from towson, she wasn't very southern. I hope she's get's fat...

max patch
08-17-2009, 12:26
[QUOTE=The Weasel;880299]. So it counts as 'Southern' by pretty much any standard.

/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that Maryland seceded from the Union during the Civil War. What year was that again?

bishopj
08-17-2009, 12:36
Is ever thing in the room made out of gold i got a two bedroom apt for less then that.

superman
08-17-2009, 12:48
I lived in New England for 3 years( 3 summers in Bar Harbor, ME, one winter each in Rutland, VT and North Conway, NH). This was in the late 80's, early 90's. Back then the only way to survive was to work 2 jobs, no matter where you lived(unless you commute to work or are some kind of professional).
The amazing part? I went back to visit a few years ago. I stopped in Bar Harbor, North Conway and the Whites, as well as a few towns in VT and NY. Every where I went, it was like I never left. People I talked to said they had been living there for years or all their lives and every single person said the same thing: In order to survive the housing and food costs, you HAVE TO WORK 2 JOBS!!

So I am guessing that if my rent was that high for just a rom in Hanover, I'd have to work 2 jobs to to pay it. What fun is it to live in such a great place if you have no time to enjoy it?

When I was a kid all the blue collar guys had their main job and another job on the side. Most folks had a family farm and the wife and kids were supposed to take care of that. Familys got together to get the hey into the barns. Wives stayed home to take care of the kids but that didn't mean that they didn't work their butts off to make it all work. Mill work was regular, long long work but it didn't pay enough either. It's actually easier today to get by than it was in the 50s. Any regular folks that move up here thinking that they can sit on their butts are in for a surprise...it's never been easy.n That might be why so many New Englanders moved away.:)

CowHead
08-17-2009, 12:59
Info on maryland

In his book "Battle Cry of Freedom" James McPherson wrote the following:

"In the four border states the proportion of slaves and slaveowners was less than half what it was in the eleven states that seceded. But the triumph of unionism in these states was not easy and the outcome (except in Delaware) by no means certain. Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri contained large and resolute secessionist minorities. A slight twist in the chain of events might have enable this faction to prevail in any of these states. Much was at stake in this contest. The three states would have added 45 percent to the white population and military manpower of the Confederacy, 80 percent to its manufacturing capacity, and nearly 40 percent to its supply of horses and mules. For almost five hundred miles the Ohio river flows along the northern border of Kentucky, providing a defensive barrier or an avenue of invasion, depending on which side could control and fortify it. Two of the Ohio's navigable tributaries, the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers, penetrate through Kentucky into the heat of Tennessee and Northern Alabama. Little wonder that Lincoln was report to have said that while he hoped to have God on his side, he must have Kentucky.
Control of Maryland was even more immediately crucial, for the state enclosed Washington on three sides (with Virginia on the fourth) and it allegiance could determine the capital's fate, at the outset of the war. Like the lower South, Maryland had voted for Breckinridge in the presidential election. Southern-Rights Democrats controlled the legislature; only the stubborn refusal of unionist Governor Thomas hicks to call legislature into session forestalled action by that body. The tobacco counties of southern Maryland and the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay were secessionist. The grain-growing counties of northern and western Maryland, containing few slaves, were safe for the Union. But the loyalty of Baltimore, with a third of the state's population, was suspect. The mayor's unionism was barely tepid, and the police chief sympathized with the South. Confederate flags appeared on many city homes and buildings during the tense days after Sumter. The traditional role of mobs in Baltimore politics created a volatile situation. Only a spark was needed to ignite the states secessionists, such a spark hit the streets of Baltimore on April 19.
On that day the 6th Massachusetts Regiment--the first fully equipped unit to respond to Lincoln's call for troops--entered Baltimore on its way to Washington. No rail line passed through Baltimore, so the troops had to detrain at the east-side station and cross the city to board a train to the capital. A mob gathered in the path of the soldiers and grew increasingly violent. Rioters attacked the rear companies of the regiment with bricks, paving stones, and pistols. Angry and afraid, a few soldiers opened fire. That unleashed the mob. By the time the Massachusetts men had fought their way to the station and entrained for Washington, four soldiers and twelve Baltimoreans lay dead and several score groaned with wounds. They were the first of more than 700,000 combat casualties during the next four years. . . "

The action described in McPherson's book was to set into motion Maryland's role in the Civil War. Maryland would prove the adage that it was a war of brother against brother, neighbor against neighbor. The eastern part of Maryland was clearly pro Confederate while the western part of the state was clearly pro Union. Few know the role that Maryland played in its support of the Confederacy because most history books barely touch on this subject and many think that Maryland was just another Union state. But was it? It would be impossible to describe Maryland's role in the Civil War on a single page of an Internet website. Therefore most of the contents of the Maryland portion of The Confederate Military History, Volume 2, are provided in the links below. The Confederate Military History is a set of twelve volumes that describe the Confederate states in the Civil War. It was written by Southerners about Southerners shortly after the Civil War.

Hooch
08-17-2009, 13:04
There are indeed some great hospitals in Baltimore.......

Agreed, among them:

University of Maryland Medical Center
Johns Hopkins
R. Adams Cowley Sock Trauma Center

Jeff
08-17-2009, 13:14
When I was a kid all the blue collar guys had their main job and another job on the side. Most folks had a family farm and the wife and kids were supposed to take care of that. Familys got together to get the hey into the barns. Wives stayed home to take care of the kids but that didn't mean that they didn't work their butts off to make it all work. Mill work was regular, long long work but it didn't pay enough either. It's actually easier today to get by than it was in the 50s. Any regular folks that move up here thinking that they can sit on their butts are in for a surprise...it's never been easy.n That might be why so many New Englanders moved away.:)

Superman, you are right on!!

At most anytime in history, people who successfully provided for the family worked more than a 40 hr week.

chief
08-17-2009, 16:45
That's the truth! Back in the 70s, I attended school in Baltimore for 2 years. Had a lot of fun, but it ain't southern.

Nearly Normal
08-17-2009, 16:53
Superman, you are right on!!

At most anytime in history, people who successfully provided for the family worked more than a 40 hr week.

Still true.

saimyoji
08-17-2009, 16:56
Agreed, among them:

is this where all my socks who are missing their pair should be sent to?

seriously though, in 8th grade we had a sock fight and this one dude ended up with a bloody nose. should sent him there.

:D

TD55
08-17-2009, 18:49
Culture and political wise, border states from civil war days are still border states, including Maryland and Delaware. Depends on the county. Trust me, the folks from northern Delaware consider the folks in southern Delaware to be southern.

Gray Blazer
08-17-2009, 19:01
jeez, jack. no pork chops to manhandle?

Did you google pork chops?

Lemni Skate
08-17-2009, 19:38
Ask people in NH what Hanover is noted for, and most will say, first of all, Dartmouth. Ask people in Virginia about Damascus, and they'll say, "the AT" and/or the other trails that run through it.

Actually, I live in Virginia. If you ask most people in Virginia what Damascus is known for they'll say, "Who is Damascus?" The second most common response would be "I think it's a city somwhere in the middle east."

Maryland is wonderful, but it ain't part of the south. Definitely a whole different culture up there.

max patch
08-17-2009, 20:20
Did you google pork chops?

Urban dictionary.

TD55
08-17-2009, 20:35
Actually, I live in Virginia

Maryland is wonderful, but it ain't part of the south. Definitely a whole different culture up there.

Please don't let the folks in the western countys and the eastern shore countys know that they ain't southern. That might freak them out.
BTW, have you been to Fairfax County in northern VA lately? I'd say Cecil County MD is way more southern than Fairfax County VA.

Rocket Jones
08-17-2009, 20:40
LOL When I first moved to Prince William County in Virginia 20 years ago, I thought it hilarious that the Union/Confederate border was south of here. Some folks took offense to being called yankee, even if technically true.

wrongway_08
08-17-2009, 20:43
Agreed, among them:

University of Maryland Medical Center
Johns Hopkins

There has to be a few great hosptials here - this crap hole taxes you to death and then brings you back to tax you some more.

The Weasel
08-17-2009, 22:20
To add to the McPherson quote, see this very good teaching less from a Maryland educator: asp1.umbc.edu/newmedia/sites/chetah/pdf/may-secession.pdf

Union troops had to fight their way through Baltimore from Pennsylvania just before Lincoln's inauguration to get to Washington; Lincoln was essentially "smuggled" into DC through Maryland in light of the assassination threats there. Maryland was southern then and probably did not secede as much due to its occupation by the Union as anything else. And, due to being a hotbed of Southern supporters, the writ of habeas corpus was suspended in much of Maryland as well. While today there is little 'southern drawl,' the Daughters of the Confederacy still remain active in Maryland and there are memorials to the "Maryland Line" troops of the CSA. You don't see those in Pennsylvania, folks. Which, by the way, is north of the "Mason Dixon Line." Remember why the song is called, "Dixie"? For the part of the Nation that is south of that line. That includes Maryland.

Maryland's southern.

TW

The Weasel
08-17-2009, 22:22
There has to be a few great hosptials here - this crap hole taxes you to death and then brings you back to tax you some more.

Yes, there are:

Walter Reed Army Hospital
National Institutes of Health
National Naval Medical Center

All are in Maryland. One of them saved my Mom's life.

TW

Jeff
08-18-2009, 06:52

Get ready to pay even more taxes!!!