PDA

View Full Version : Warm tent for Feb/Mar

Jeff T
07-19-2004, 19:02
I recently bought a Tarptent Virga, which is great. The problem is, I want to start early for the 2005 thruhike, most likely in late february or early march.

I really don't think the Virga will be warm enough for the first month or two. What is the best light-weight tent I could use before I ship my Virga to me in the spring?

Thanks!

tribes
07-19-2004, 21:02
If you use a 0 degree F bag you will probably be plenty warm at that time of year in a Virga.

tlbj6142
07-20-2004, 10:19
Pitch the Virga close to the ground to cut out most of the air movement, and spend more on a warmer bag.

Down is lighter than silnylon (or nylon) and provides warmth. The only thing a tent would do is dramatically reduce air movement.

Some folks might suggest a bivy and small tarp combo in lue of a tent that time of the year. Bivy cuts the wind, and provides a small bit of warmth (mostly from the lack of air movment). The small tarp will protect you from the snow/rain. But that time of year you'll probably have shelters to yourself if you choose.

Make sure you try a bivy out before you commit to using one on the trail. Some folks don't like them. Or have problems with moisture (keep your breath outside of the bivy).

Jeff T
07-20-2004, 16:42
Hmm. Well I have a Marmot Helium (15F) for cold weather. Not quite 0F but it’s warm.

A bivy sac may be a good idea, although they seem to me to be a pain to get in and out of to go to the bathroom. Maybe I’ll see if I can rent one to test out this upcoming winter in the Adirondacks.

tlbj6142
07-20-2004, 16:58
Hmm. Well I have a Marmot Helium (15F) for cold weather. Not quite 0F but it’s warm.You will hit 15F, if not lower in Feb. My brother has the Helium and he was quite warm on an 18F night we had in the Smokies a year ago.

Find a means to reduce air flows, wear long johns, balaclava, etc. and you'll be fine.

Don't forget that your body chemistry will change once you hit the trail. Due to loss of body fat, different eating habits, way more exercise than normal, etc. So, what you find as warm now, or even this December. Might not be 3 weeks into your trip on a cold February night.

Youngblood
07-20-2004, 19:56
Just some thoughts.

A winter tent can not only trap 10 to 15 degrees of heat, it can also reduce or eliminate heat robbing air currents. Being in a drafty tarp, and I assume tarp/tent as well, versus a winter tent can be the difference in being cold versus being warm. However, you can add more insulation to your sleeping bag, clothes, etc and maybe get the same effect.

It is nice however, to have an area that is warmer and protected from the wind, especially if a storm hits. I have seen a few tarps and plastic sheets fashioned over the open end of three sided shelters along the trail in the winter conditions. But these shelters often have a weakness. That weakness is sometimes that the floor is elevated above the ground, which means you need more bottom insulation versus sleeping on the ground. Other times that weakness is that the shelter may not be in a protected area and is exposed to the wind, or the shelter may be located in an area that acts like an icebox due to temperature inversion.

A warm tent can be really nice. I have used a Stephenson's 2R in cold weather on the AT with some serious winds present and was glad I had it.

Youngblood

Eveready
07-23-2004, 13:42
Take a look at the Sierra Designs Ultra Light Year CD, 2#9 oz. plus wt. of 3 stakes.