PDA

View Full Version : Which is better in regards to boiling water?

Mu-Chan
08-11-2009, 22:12
Im thinking about getting a kelly volcano kettle, in the backpacking size (or the medium), but i also wonder if a basic alcohol stove would be just as good?

anyone have experience with these? are they worth the money?

thanks~

Ranc0r
08-11-2009, 22:52
Kelly Kettles are definitely worth the money, but they are NOT for backpacking. They are heavy, require a fair amount of fuel, and can do little more than boil water. EVERY alcohol stove can do that and more with a lot less weight and fuel. Kettles are great for a cold weather brew-up, but are not to be considered a backpacking tool/set. That's just my opinion, but do your own math.

Ranc0r

brooklynkayak
08-12-2009, 12:16
Kelly Kettles are definitely worth the money, but they are NOT for backpacking.

Ditto, I use the Kelly Kettle for many outdoor activities and love it, but not for backpacking.

The Nomads "Little Dandy" is a common/good backpackers stove.
It may not boil water as fast and efficient as the Kelly Kettle, but is far lighter and more portable. Use a wind screen to improve efficiency in wind, or without if you want the warm campfire effect.

Hooch
08-12-2009, 15:24
Go with an alchol stove, unless you don't mind the weight or the bulk of a Kelly Kettle. After all, you're the one who has to carry it.

brooklynkayak
08-12-2009, 17:11
Go with an alchol stove, unless you don't mind the weight or the bulk of a Kelly Kettle. After all, you're the one who has to carry it.

But if your gonna be using alcohol to boil your drinking water, be prepared to carry a lot.
"The Little Dandy" doesn't require that you carry any fuel, but you may want to carry some just in case found fuel is soaked or hard to find.