PDA

View Full Version : To cell or not to cell?

GolfHiker
07-19-2004, 22:50
I just returned from a 7 day hike in the Smokies, and just as a personal experiment, I would ask people I met if they had a cell phone.. Nearly everyone said, "sure, do you need to use it?". This has me wondering? Am I just old fashioned or am I missing the boat on this technology. Am I being too weight conscious or should I consider this a necessary piece of safety equipment. I once carried my cell phone through the 100 Mile Wildnerness, because it was n my pack on the flight out to the trail, and I would need it for the return home, but I never told anyone I had it or even thought about using it... Again, am I just being stubborn and do I need to accept the inevitable? Please jump in & give your opinions. Thanks. golfhiker:welcome

Kerosene
07-19-2004, 23:19
There's an extensive thread related to this topic at: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4336

I certainly wouldn't characterize you as "missing the boat" simply because you don't rely on a device that can't be depended on to work when you need it and weighs at least a quarter of a pound. I think you'll find that the general opinion is that you should feel free to carry anything you want, but you shouldn't depend on a cell phone over preparedness and nobody wants to see or hear you using technology in the woods.

MedicineMan
07-19-2004, 23:56
3 weeks ago (maybe 4 weeks ago they all run together) we used a cell phone to call 911 for an extraction of a hiker who was down. Historically I've carried the Ham radio and la AquaNa has carried the cell to cover several bases, a gps is nice too-not for mapping but for telling the rescuers your location, but on that extraction mentioned the Troutville Fire Department had the victim located in 2 mins via his cell phone....it may not be you that needs the help.

Pencil Pusher
07-20-2004, 00:03
Even without calling 911, it's still kinda nice to say howdy to folks you know. For instance, Mt Washington in NH has great cell phone reception. Heck, maybe you could get some extra minutes from Verizon walking along the path going, "Can you hear me, cow?" ;) A little dry humor for that overused commercial. The only place I've heard you need to turn it off is in Baxter Park, Maine. If you have one of those schnazzy cell phones with a built-in camera, that'd be pretty neat.

U-BOLT
07-20-2004, 00:09
Good tips for increasing your cellphone range without adding extra weight can be found on this hiking site: www.trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com)

smokymtnsteve
07-20-2004, 00:37
don't call us now ..we'll call you. ;)

SavageLlama
07-20-2004, 07:30
For most hiker injuries, the authorities can't do much for you.. You've got to hike out anyway - nobody is going to come carry you home with that sprained ankle. I'll take my chances and leave the extra weight at home.

And it definitely takes something away from the hike to have cell phones and GPS stuff.. aren't we going hiking to get away from it all?

Are the white blazes really that hard to follow?

ffstenger
07-20-2004, 08:10
I don't carry a cell phone while hiking, most of the time I don't have a signal
or a tower near enough to pick up any way. and I DO get in the woods to get away from all that. sometimes a member of my group will carry one and will only turn it on for a brief call in the evening ( her daughter was expecting a baby) but otherwize I don't miss it. I can't believe any one got a cell phone signal in the smokys !!!
Showme

Youngblood
07-20-2004, 09:04
I don't carry a cell phone while hiking, most of the time I don't have a signal
or a tower near enough to pick up any way. and I DO get in the woods to get away from all that. sometimes a member of my group will carry one and will only turn it on for a brief call in the evening ( her daughter was expecting a baby) but otherwize I don't miss it. I can't believe any one got a cell phone signal in the smokys !!!
Showme

Actually, Clingmans Dome in the Smokies has lots of communications towers and I would expect pretty good coverage along the ridgelines of the Smokies?

I had two different backpacking trips where because of particular circumstances, my hiking partner needed to use their cell phone several times along the way to contact people back home. One of those trips was on the Benton MacKaye Trail which is basically in northwest Georgia. The other trip was on the AT between Deep Gap and Fontana Dam in western North Carolina. On both of those trips I carried a different providers cell phone. On those occasions when my partner turned his phone on, I would typically turn mine on also just to see if I had a signal and if I had any messages. The results where pretty interesting. On the GA trip, my partner had a Verizon phone and I had an ATT phone... his coverage signal typically appeared stronger than mine and in some cases he had a usable signal when I did not. I don't recall ever had a signal when he didn't. On the NC trip, I had switched to a Verizon phone and my partner on this trip carried a Cingular phone. The coverage on my Verizon phone always appeared to be stronger and on several occasions he borrowed my phone because he couldn't get a signal with his. Naturally, I had a little fun teasing him about this.

Anyhow, these two trips drove home the point that cell phone coverage in 'near wilderness areas' is not consistant among the various cell phone providers. So, you pick one and take your chances... but if yours doesn't work it doesn't mean that someone else's might not.

Youngblood

Blue Jay
07-20-2004, 09:04
The only problem with cell phones, both on and off the trail is that you are supporting the building of towers on every other mountain in Amerika. I know, no one cares.

Skyline
07-20-2004, 09:28
I suppose some folks may need the security blanket of a cell phone in their pack to go out into the woods. And a small percentage of these may even have a real need (instead of a want) to carry one. Even if they don't work many places. HYOH.

However, except in the most extreme emergency situations, making or receiving calls on a cell phone in the woods within earshot of another human being does tend to bring out the angry in some people.

Jaybird
07-20-2004, 10:36
GolfHiker...

it's a personal choice...take it...dont take it....your call.
but, as for me....the CELL PHONE stays HOME!

i work in a technical field...& deal with gadgets & techno gizmos all day...the trail is my "relief valve"...my wife understands this...besides...loads of places...you wont have service anyway! :D

MDSHiker
07-20-2004, 11:57
I remember one satisfying cell phone conversation while at Hogback Ridge Shelter. I called home and chatted with the wife and kids...I was using the privy at the time. You can get great reception while sitting on the throne there!

:D