PDA

View Full Version : Maine in September, bug problems

Gator 65
08-12-2009, 20:23
Do I need to carry a lot of bug spray if I am going into Maine for the final push about Labor Day weekend?

fiddlehead
08-12-2009, 20:47
YOu might want to read the thread about DEET being much more harmful than thought.
In Sept. the bugs aren't nearly as bad as earlier in the season.
Doesn't mean they're not there, but not as bothersome

I suggest to take a head net (light and cheap) and have long pants and long sleeve shirt along instead of the bug repellent.

Have fun.

Blissful
08-12-2009, 20:55
YOu might want to read the thread about DEET being much more harmful than thought.

It was one study put out. And plenty of studies saying it is safe.

I'd take the repellent just in case. And the other things Fiddlehead said to bring as well.

Panzer1
08-12-2009, 21:18

I think you have to weigh the supposed danger of DEET against the real danger of being bitten by mosquitoes, ticks and what-not.

Also, fyi, I've been told that DEET does not expire.

Panzer.

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2009, 21:19
Yes you need the best bug spray money can buy. - Deep Woods Off.

Why?

Because I have tried just about all of them, You know how some folk sit there and laugh cus they aren't getting bit? I am not one of those people.

Fiddlehead is right, net & light colored clothing, White in fact.

Apply the spray to ears, and ankles and elbows. (frequently missed)

Tinker
08-12-2009, 21:33
I don't recall having any problems last year in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. Strange - I never thought about the bug situation - probably because there were next to none. I brought a 1.25 oz. bottle of Ben's 100 which was half full (or empty, if you're a pessimist :p) and I used a little more than half of that. I used it on about three of the 11 days I was on the trail from Monson to Katahdin,I had mosquito problems mostly on my zero day at the shelters at Abol Bridge.

gcobb1990
08-12-2009, 22:44
I thought the black flies were gone by beginning of august and mosquitoes gone at the end of august? Haven't had any first hand experience, just research...

Tinker
08-12-2009, 22:49
I thought the black flies were gone by beginning of august and mosquitoes gone at the end of august? Haven't had any first hand experience, just research...

Honest! I had a few mosquito days in Sept. last year. It all depends on the heat and rain.
If it's hot (or warm) and rainy, there will be mosquitoes in October! (Just not many, and they may die out overnight).

Peaks
08-13-2009, 07:13
Do I need to carry a lot of bug spray if I am going into Maine for the final push about Labor Day weekend?

Boy, I would hope not. Shouldn't be too bad unless it's been a very wet year like this year.

Homer&Marje
08-13-2009, 07:21
There was a second hatching of black flies this year because of the rain...really all depends on how warm late august and early september are.

If your only getting temperature drops at night into the 50's it won't be cold enough to kill them off, combined with excess ground moisture and you've got bugs.

Bring small bottle of 100% deet and pray for cold nights:D

gcobb1990
08-13-2009, 14:09
so i was considering not taking my tent and just using the rain fly for my thru hike beginning aug 21...i don't have a mosquito net so would it be advisable to take the tent?

Jack Tarlin
08-13-2009, 14:23
The first cold night in September usually takes care of the last of the skeeters, but I'd still carry some bug spray with you. The final couple of weeks should be relatively bug-free tho, which is one of the great things about starting a Northbound thru-hike in mid to late March or early April. It means you're finishing up towards the end of September, which is absolutely the best time of the year to be in the woods in Maine.