PDA

View Full Version : Match light charcoal as a fire starter?

Tinker
08-12-2009, 22:47
Has anyone tried this on the trail? Or have you used a couple of briquettes (sp?) as a backup for a wood burning trail stove?
How about "fire logs"?

Has anyone cut one up into chunks and taken a few out on the trail?

I was thinking about re-hiking the Long Trail next month, this time as a thru, and was rethinking cooking fuels.
Any thoughts?
There's lots of wood on the LT, and I can't remember any fire restrictions.

Hikes in Rain
08-13-2009, 06:11
I've used them, but not for hiking because of the weight and bulk. There are a host of better fire starters out there, none cheaper than plain old dryer lint. That stuff, especially from cotton clothes, is almost explosively flammable. Cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly are pretty good, too.

My brother uses a Zip stove while hiking, and charcoal from a fire ring works very well as fuel for it. Steadier burn and more heat than twigs.

And nothing wrong with cooking over a small campfire. It's satisfyingly old school.

sasquatch2014
08-13-2009, 09:32
Has anyone tried this on the trail? Or have you used a couple of briquettes (sp?) as a backup for a wood burning trail stove?
How about "fire logs"?

Has anyone cut one up into chunks and taken a few out on the trail?

I was thinking about re-hiking the Long Trail next month, this time as a thru, and was rethinking cooking fuels.
Any thoughts?
There's lots of wood on the LT, and I can't remember any fire restrictions.

I don't know about the upper LT but down near Rutland there is an area on the AT that has fire restrictions as it's in the Rutland Water Shed? Not sure why that should restrict a fire but that is what it has in the books. As far as fire starter keep in mind that there is tons of Birch up there and birch bark is great to start fires with.

Have you set a time for your hike yet? I left that 40 mile section from Bennington to rt 11/30. Is this a fall plan?

Toolshed
08-13-2009, 09:40
I thought that stuff kinda reeked of a kerosene smell. I'd hate to have to smell that in my pack all the time..... I just carry a couple of esbits, or these coghlin firestarters (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87675)(even cheaper)

JokerJersey
08-13-2009, 10:35
Hand sanitizer doubles as a firestarter as well. That way you can avoid getting sick from not cleaning your hands before you eat AND get your fire going.

LaurieAnn
08-13-2009, 10:38
We recycle dryer lint and mix it with vaseline... works wonderfully.

Erin
08-13-2009, 23:10
Ditto the dyer lint. My friend taught us how to put dryer lint in a cardboard egg carton and cut it into separate egg catron/lint sections for hikes. Works great and is very light.

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2009, 23:20
Matchlight product was recently revealed in

How its made

I am done with this..

Here is why, The product is based on some stuff used in China - a Brick of coal pulverized and mixed with many different woods such as alder, and much of it in Pine! water soaks the shape and coal dust is added and to help it light its presoaked in Kero.

Not one more hard earned dollar from me will go to this C**P!

I am a big charcoal / wood chip Barbe _Q fan

Matchlight and Kingsford is off the menu.

Natural from now on! :cool:

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2009, 23:26
Hand sanitizer doubles as a firestarter as well. That way you can avoid getting sick from not cleaning your hands before you eat AND get your fire going.

Here is a weird thought - wash your hands in sanitizer and light a cig! what are the new dangers?

Deadeye
08-13-2009, 23:29
I actually tried the match light charcoal trick years ago... doesn't really work unless you have a full load of the stuff. One cube at a time just burns out.

Don't know the last time you hiked the LT, but seems to me that plenty of areas had fire restrictions, as in "no official fire ring = no fires"

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2009, 23:39
Well back in time.... I carried a small bag of bricks to do fish out of the stream, very successful

veteran
08-14-2009, 01:45
If you carry olive oil to cook with...works great as a fire starter.

Tinker
08-14-2009, 07:28
I don't know about the upper LT but down near Rutland there is an area on the AT that has fire restrictions as it's in the Rutland Water Shed? Not sure why that should restrict a fire but that is what it has in the books. As far as fire starter keep in mind that there is tons of Birch up there and birch bark is great to start fires with.

Have you set a time for your hike yet? I left that 40 mile section from Bennington to rt 11/30. Is this a fall plan?

Right now I'm planning on starting the second week of September. I may, however, decide to hike sobo, since my section hike was a nobo and transportation home is easier to obtain at the southern end. That would probably put me at the southern section the first week of October.
Does a sobo Manchester Ctr. to Bennington appeal to you? It would be nice to have a shuttle into Manchester Ctr. (and possibly Bennington), but I'm being entirely selfish now........then again, as they say, what are friends for? :D

Tinker
08-14-2009, 07:35
Matchlight product was recently revealed in

How its made

I am done with this..

Here is why, The product is based on some stuff used in China - a Brick of coal pulverized and mixed with many different woods such as alder, and much of it in Pine! water soaks the shape and coal dust is added and to help it light its presoaked in Kero.

Not one more hard earned dollar from me will go to this C**P!

I am a big charcoal / wood chip Barbe _Q fan

Matchlight and Kingsford is off the menu.

Natural from now on! :cool:

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll take it off my list of experiments.
I was actually thinking of taking my ZZip stove and actually using it for once, with a little alcohol as a backup.
Thanks for the replies.
Sasquatch - Email me re: your section.

sasquatch2014
08-14-2009, 08:09
Right now I'm planning on starting the second week of September. I may, however, decide to hike sobo, since my section hike was a nobo and transportation home is easier to obtain at the southern end. That would probably put me at the southern section the first week of October.
Does a sobo Manchester Ctr. to Bennington appeal to you? It would be nice to have a shuttle into Manchester Ctr. (and possibly Bennington), but I'm being entirely selfish now........then again, as they say, what are friends for? :D

That sounds like it would work out better for me if I can swing that time. I need to get out for hikes more often I left and things were dead at work and now I have two deals put together and I am negotiating 3 more! I will have to see.

Tinker
08-14-2009, 21:11
That sounds like it would work out better for me if I can swing that time. I need to get out for hikes more often I left and things were dead at work and now I have two deals put together and I am negotiating 3 more! I will have to see.
Right now it appears I will be leaving on Sept. 14th, the Monday after Labor Day. That may put me at Rte. 11 towards the end of the last week in Sept.
Most everything is up in the air, the way I like it.:rolleyes: