PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Trail Running Shoes?

Lucinda
07-20-2004, 08:44
I currently have a pair of New Balance 805 AT shoes that I've enjoyed for hiking, but now I need a new pair of trail running shoes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer another pair of NB trail shoes, but I haven't been keeping up with the technology and design changes.

I'd like something that performs well on slippery rocks, so grippy soles are key. My biggest fear when hiking is slippery rocks!!

Thanks!

Repeat
07-20-2004, 11:25
I backpack in NB 855 running shoes. My pack weight ranges between 20 to 30 lbs. I have no more trouble slipping/falling in rocky/wet conditions, than when I do wearing boots. They are on-sale at the following link---http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.65391/catImage.False/dept_id.L2~361/qx/product.htm
These are a very comfortable and light-weight shoe. I have logged close to 300 miles backpaking with one pair of these shoes. One day I covered 20 miles with 11 wet fords, no blisters, with pack. I highly recommend this shoe.

highway
07-21-2004, 08:44
I may be wrong I am not sure that any sole grips well upon slime-covered slippery rocks.

At least consider some brand of trail sandals, though, like teva Wraptors or Chacos. They give my feet an agility I never found with boots or even the NB 805's you mentioned.

Jaybird
07-21-2004, 10:42
i dont care what kinda technology you have....if a rock is slippery...your butt is going down! hehehehehehe :p

i walk/hike in NB 805s..but i backpack in Vasque Sundowner MX2 boots!

HikeLite
07-21-2004, 13:53
My last pair were NB 805's. Now I went to Salomon XA Pro shoes and like them alot. The toebox has more room than the NB 805's which I appreciate.

A-Train
07-22-2004, 12:07
I hike and like NB 805's but I LOVED the Vasque Velocitys. Check em out. Hike from the NOC to Port Clinton PA in them (1100 miles). They were light, comfy and dried out welll. Had excellent tredding and I hardly remember falling compared to every other shoes I've used including the 805 (which has pretty cruddy tredding IM0). Good luck

Deb
07-23-2004, 13:17
I tried the Vasque Vapor shoes for the first time this year. My size 7.5s weigh only 1 pound, 6 oz. They do run small, order one full size larger. They dry fast. I never had any problems with blisters or hot spots. I thought the support was very good. I bought these on sale at Sierra for $30. I own five pairs of hiking shoes...these are the ones I always reach for.

oliander
08-11-2005, 03:19
North Face Ultra 102's. I have tried both the Gore Tex and the non-Gore Tex versions. These tend to be more durable and have more toe protection than most trail runners. They are pricy shoes so I now get them on Ebay. They run small so order at least 1/2 size up. However, a caution about shoes is that everyone's foot is different! Try a few out in the stores and see which fit best for YOU.

Freighttrain
08-11-2005, 08:34
i like the montrail TRS Comp speed hiking-trail running shoes...

The Solemates
08-11-2005, 08:59
i like the nike basic running shoe, no idea what its called, that i can get at just about any store for $40.

The Solemates
08-11-2005, 09:25
my trusty 5 year-old pair after a 100 degree trail run during mid-afternoon heat along a dry river bed. i dont know that i'll be doing that anytime again soon. the soles are completely gone...ive long ripped the rubber 1/8" thick sole off and have been running on the foam bed for years now.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jcartne/detail?.dir=/ee45&.dnm=7c38.jpg&.src=ph

rocket04
08-11-2005, 10:02
I used a pair of Merrell Mesa Ventilators for the last 2,000 miles of my thru-hike. They were in really bad shape at the end, granted... But they were excellent shoes.

Heater
08-11-2005, 10:08
I used a pair of Merrell Mesa Ventilators for the last 2,000 miles of my thru-hike. They were in really bad shape at the end, granted... But they were excellent shoes.Those are what I currently use. They fit my heel really good and have enough room in the toe box. They seem to be holding up well and the vibram soles should last. I am getting ready to get a second pair to start breaking in for my thru. They have a high top version too so I'll probably get those for the rocky parts as well.

BTW... They are not really a pure trail running shoe but more of a cross between running/hiking, IMO.

Slimer
08-11-2005, 11:07
Montrail Hardrocks are some good shoes.

SGT Rock
08-11-2005, 11:14
i like the nike basic running shoe, no idea what its called, that i can get at just about any store for $40.
Agreed, I have hundreds of trail miles on Nike Air Pegasus running shoes. I have tried NB and Merrill trail runners and can't tell they do anything more than regular running shoes for me.

neo
08-11-2005, 11:32
montrail vitasse trail runners suck:cool: neo

Heater
08-11-2005, 11:38
I have a pair of Nike Air Assails. Very comfortable but they were trashed in less than a year of light use. I still tried to get another pair for work because they were so comfy and breathed so well. By the time I got around to it they were discontinued.

Bummer.:( Don't you just hate it when that happens. :D

Mags
08-11-2005, 13:37

Nike Air Pegasus perhaps? On sale/clearence they are often $40. They are the Honda Accord of the running shoe world: reliable, no frills, good shoes. It was what I started using onteh PCT in the desert and it is my running and hiking shoe of choice.

One things to keep in mind about trail/running shoes is if you over/under pronate.

I severely over pronate to the point that the inside of sneakers wear out before the soles.

Many running stores (which also sell trail runners) will do a free analysis of your gait. Some shoes are better for over pronators, some better for under pronators, some are best for a nuetral stride.

If you are spending hundreds of miles in a shoe, it is probably worth your time to get a shoes and insert combo that works for your gait.

(Over pronate: foot strikes to the inside, Under pronate: the reverse! :)

Mags
08-11-2005, 13:47
Agreed, I have hundreds of trail miles on Nike Air Pegasus running shoes. I have tried NB and Merrill trail runners and can't tell they do anything more than regular running shoes for me.

:)

We both have good taste it seems.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/agg
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsct04/aaf
http://gallery.backcountry.net/maroonbells05/aai
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsmisc/aal

Mags - who is on at least my 10th pair or Nike Air Pegs

DLANOIE
08-14-2005, 15:13
I have been using Brooks Tresspass 2 thru the White Mnts. and on Maine Mnts. They are super comfy and grip awesome on steep rocks. They dry fast too. I think I paid 60 bucks for them . Planning on using them from Vermont to Damascus on my 2006 SOBO thru hike. It doesnt seem like they would hold up to a continuous walk thru New England though...

:banana

Sly
08-14-2005, 16:13
Women's New Balance 807's on sale cheap, lots of sizes...

http://www.brownsnewbalance.com/shoe-detail.asp?productid=W807NV

fiddlehead
08-15-2005, 00:28
I've hiked over 7,000 miles in Montrail Vitesse Trail Runners and they are still my favorite. THey last about 2,000 miles for me and i buy them a 2 sizes too big and never had a foot problem while wearing them. Of course it's all in how they fit. but they work for me. to each his own of course.

Sly
08-15-2005, 01:25
I've hiked over 7,000 miles in Montrail Vitesse Trail Runners and they are still my favorite. THey last about 2,000 miles

Those are the same shoes Flyin' Brian wore on his calender year Triple Crown hike. If I found them on sale cheap, I'd try them!

Big Dawg
08-15-2005, 12:34

More info, Neo. It seems you're the only one I've come across who didn't like this shoe. Why??

Big Dawg
08-15-2005, 12:41
Also a few general questions about trail runners. #1. Do you wear a liner sock along w/ another regular sock. I always wear a liner + reg.sock when wearing my Vasque Superhiker Boots. #2. I've heard some people support the need for a gore-tex liner in a trail runner, or else your foot/socks will get wet w/ even the slightest puddle you may happen to step in. It makes sense to have a gore-tex liner for this reason, but I've noticed most people who wear trail runners don't have a gore-tex liner,,,,,,, any feedback on the reason why,,,, because I've heard the XCR only soaks thru on extended rain,, & then dries pretty quickly.

SGT Rock
08-15-2005, 12:49
Also a few general questions about trail runners. #1. Do you wear a liner sock along w/ another regular sock. I always wear a liner + reg.sock when wearing my Vasque Superhiker Boots. #2. I've heard some people support the need for a gore-tex liner in a trail runner, or else your foot/socks will get wet w/ even the slightest puddle you may happen to step in. It makes sense to have a gore-tex liner for this reason, but I've noticed most people who wear trail runners don't have a gore-tex liner,,,,,,, any feedback on the reason why,,,, because I've heard the XCR only soaks thru on extended rain,, & then dries pretty quickly.
I normally just wear a liner sock with my trail runners, no other sock. Yes your feet will get wet, but then again it dries out very fast - so the strategy is like jungle boots. The Goretex liner sock (at least for me) is only used at temps close to freezing or below freezing in wet weather. In other conditions (say 50F and above) I don't use the Goretex liners at all because I've found the amount of sweating they create to make my feet wet and they tend to stay wet as long as you keep the liners on, whereas if you just hike in shoes and socks they dry out on their own. I look at it this way: I wouldn't wear a Goretex jacket to hike in unless it was pouring rain, and why should my feet be any different?

Now in camp, I'll often shuck the shoes and walk barefoot unless it is cold/wet, then I'll put on some warm, dry socks and wear the Goretex there to keep the socks dry.

Big Dawg
08-15-2005, 13:13
Thanks, Rock!

Moon Monster
08-15-2005, 16:19
i buy them a 2 sizes too big and never had a foot problem while wearing them.

Has anyone experience disadvantages of intentionally going large? Is 2 sizes the sweet spot, or how about just 1? I've been considering doing this for a while for my next pair.