PDA

View Full Version : Finally a camera for hikers!

Powder River
08-13-2009, 21:51
While I am a huge propenent of carrying the highest quality camera that is a reasonable weight instead of the smallest and lightest point and shoot, I think samsung may have just turned me:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081303samsungst1000.asp

There are some incredible possibilities here for a thru hike. The camera has gps, and automatically embeds each image with gps coordinates. It also has wifi, which would allow you to upload your images from just about anywhere, which in my case would eliminate the old method of mailing my SD cards home and praying they get there. (I lost an entire 4gb card at the NOC due to my own carelessness using this process.)

But even more intriguing is if you also carried a verizon "Mifi" card, which is basically a network internet card which creates a portable wireless hotspot (and is about the size of a credit card), you could literally upload pictures from the trail. This, combined with a smartphone for journaling would complete the holy grail of trail journaling, enabling live daily updates with text and photo. If you had a custom webpage built that would highlight your journal and photos on a map, you would be set.

The only major unknown at this point would be image quality, and as it is a super compact with 5x zoom my hopes are not high. Since I know I will not be doing another thru hike next year I am content to wait out a few more generations of cameras. But if for anyone who is hiking next year this would be an incredible way to share the journey. Maybe soon these features will hit all cameras!:banana

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2009, 22:29
I have confidence you are correct I would like to see if it passes muster on this feature

HD Movie Recording
The ST1000 records HD video in 1280x720p resolution, and at 30 frames per second in H.264 format. This format allows more than twice as much recording capacity as the MP4 format, so gives you more room on your memory card for images and movies. The ST1000 also features HDMI connectivity via an optional adapter, so you can see your HD video creations in glorious HD on an HD TV.

I would be very surprised if I did not see "artifact" pixels or squares on playback.

rp1790
08-14-2009, 05:53
I think the #1 feature for hiking has to be being waterproof. Otherwise you miss out on taking a lot of photo's...

I now have a Fujifilm Z33WP, takes rubbish photo's but at least I can pull it out in the rain which means about 20-50% more times I can "capture the moment" :-)

Marta
08-14-2009, 06:40
I think the #1 feature for hiking has to be being waterproof. Otherwise you miss out on taking a lot of photo's...

My hiking camera isn't waterproof. It sometimes strikes me that, according to the photographic record from my Long Hike, it only rained a couple of times....:rolleyes:

sasquatch2014
08-14-2009, 08:24
I have a cheap little Fuji that has proved to be pretty bomb proof and I pull it out in the rain a lot. The only thing that it has seemed to have happen is the LCD will stop working until it dries out. but during this time it still takes pics just a bit of blind shooting.

David@whiteblaze
08-14-2009, 10:43
looks like a great camera, but is the battery rechargeable? I don't think i would enjoy dragging 10 li-ion batteries into the woods and rushing around in town to recharge them. Has anyone looked into the "DGX-581V":
http://www.dxgusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_5.jpg
http://www.dxgusa.com/products/high-definition-camcorders/dxg-581vhd.html
It looks like a great little camera/camcorder for anyone who wants to video document their trip(s).

David@whiteblaze
08-14-2009, 10:43
sorry about the ASTONISHLINGLY LARGE IMAGE!

FritztheCat
08-14-2009, 11:03

LOL! For a moment, I thought we were being attacked by a huge alien camera! :D

brooklynkayak
08-14-2009, 12:51
I think the #1 feature for hiking has to be being waterproof.

I strongly agree and will only buy waterproof cameras from now on. To easy to get your camera wet in the outdoors. And how many times have you wanted to take a picture, but it was too wet.

Powder River
08-15-2009, 04:23
I strongly agree and will only buy waterproof cameras from now on. To easy to get your camera wet in the outdoors. And how many times have you wanted to take a picture, but it was too wet.

Problem is, waterproof cameras are a niche that are not at the top of the image quality list. While this may change in the future, I doubt it. I still remember waiting for the high end waterproof sony walkman that never came, and then the high end waterproof discman that never came. Today you will never see a waterproof ipod. You will find weather sealed DSLRs for $1600 and up, but they tip the weight scales (and I think they wouldn't fit your definition of waterproof). The bottom line is that you will always be trading a whole lot for that one feature, because it will never be something that a manufacturer combines with their top cameras.

But there is a bigger problem with waterproof cameras. They are great underwater, but they are no better than my non waterproof camera in a rain storm. The biggest reason I usually leave my camera put away during rain isn't because I'm afraid of getting it wet, but condensation. This puts a huge blurry smudge right in the middle of the lens, and it does the same thing on a waterproof camera. I see no real benifit to having a waterproof camera in that scenario.

Most importantly, no underwater camera can take photos like this on the trail: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=32675457
(not taken by me)

ShelterLeopard
08-15-2009, 23:31

That is one big camera- and you want to take that BACKPACKING??? :D

Jayboflavin04
08-15-2009, 23:42

I now have a Fujifilm Z33WP, takes rubbish photo's but at least I can pull it out in the rain which means about 20-50% more times I can "capture the moment" :-)

I found this out when I just lost a half days worth of photo opts.

Shutterbug
08-16-2009, 01:11

Keep your camera in a zip lock plastic bag and take it out only when you take pictures. It works for me.

Jonnycat
08-16-2009, 14:56

Wow, thanks for that, that looks like just about the perfect camera for the trail.

dla
08-18-2009, 19:13
Reviews say it sucks.

dla
08-18-2009, 19:14
Sorry - I was referring to the DGX-581V.

wrongway_08
08-18-2009, 20:05
recharge battery? I stick to AA style cameras. My Cannon power shot has been wet a few times with no ill effects. Most cameras don't get affected by the wet, unless dunked.

Wise Old Owl
08-18-2009, 22:20
just a side note folks Waterproof is grand - but some cameras are clearly better and less cost.

After soaking a few I have no problem pulling the chips and getting a new one. never lost a photo.

David@whiteblaze
08-18-2009, 22:21
LOL! For a moment, I thought we were being attacked by a huge alien camera! :D

That is one big camera- and you want to take that BACKPACKING??? :D
My first pic post:rolleyes:, my apologies to everyone who flipped:eek:. Please do not take me for a spammer or advertiser, just an up and coming hiker:sun

Reviews say it sucks. (referring to the DGX-581V.)
I had an opportunity to use one for abut 5 minutes and the video was of an acceptable quality to do some video journaling with, for an expert cameraman, or whatever, obviously not "the best" (whatever "the best" is, I don't know) and, the reason that i'm also leaning toward tis is , it's got camera and video features in it, not unlike the average digital camera, but the grip is more suited to my unsteady hand.

ShelterLeopard
08-23-2009, 16:48
My first pic post:rolleyes:, my apologies to everyone who flipped:eek:. Please do not take me for a spammer or advertiser, just an up and coming hiker:sun

We didn't flip :( - I just wanted to know how you found a pack big enough to hold that camera! :D