PDA

View Full Version : Tent platforms and non-freestanding tents

Tin Man
07-20-2004, 13:06
The section of the AT that I intend to do in VT this year appears to have tent platforms rather than open space for tents near the shelters. How do I secure a non-freestanding tent to the platform? :confused: My brother suggest that we bring nails, but that doesn't sound like good tent platform etiquette. :o Any suggestions?

poison_ivy
07-20-2004, 13:39
I bring some rope and tie out the stake loops. Some tent platforms have eye-hooks in the sides that make this really easy or else I've tied off to nearby trees. If the slats on the platforrms are not nailed super-close together, I've also been able to drop the rope between the slats and wrap it tightly around a stick so it's nice and tight. Haven't had a problem using any of these methods with my tarptent.

Depending on where you plan to stay, it may be just as easy to find an already hardened spot near an area with platforms.

- Ivy

Skyline
07-20-2004, 16:55
You could also just use rocks--tho that may not provide the taut tent you're used to, it will suffice.

TJ aka Teej
07-20-2004, 20:16
How do I secure a non-freestanding tent to the platform?

Tent bondage. Just hope your tent's into it.

peter_pan
07-21-2004, 12:27
Another reason to become a happy hammock camper. :clap

veteran
07-21-2004, 14:28
Use screw hooks.

http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=HDW+ROUND+SCREW+HOOK