PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Light Single Packs

Homer&Marje
08-14-2009, 13:41
Anyone else bring these crystal light (other brands available) single pack powder juice mix?

I started using them about a year ago around the house and have brought them on my last 3 or for backpacking trips.

The kid (brother in law) loved them because he gets so sick of water...so I just bring a 16 oz gatorade plastic bottle and mix a few a day in that....usually drinking it at lunch.

At a whopping 1.8g per package even UL'ers could carry a bunch:D

I don't use them in my platypus and I keep the empty bottle in the food bag at night.
http://www.dealseekingmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/free-crystal-light-on-the-go.jpg

Ewker
08-14-2009, 13:46
I have been bringing those for a few yrs. After I drink it I just put water back in the bottle and leave by the rest of the water bottles and fuel. Never had a critter bother it. Maybe the alcohol smell is why

dmax
08-14-2009, 13:48
The kool-aid singles aren't too bad either.

Tennessee Viking
08-14-2009, 14:05
I found some Crystal Light single packets with caffeine, another one with protein & fiber, and others with vitamins.

Dicentra
08-14-2009, 14:12
I can't do fake sugars, but I think they are a great idea. :)

LaurieAnn
08-14-2009, 14:14
We use Crystal Light too (I am diabetic so I don't like sugared drinks)

It comes in the following flavors here...

Cherry Pomegranate
Raspberry Ice
Strawberry Orange Banana
Pink Lemonade
Lemon Lime
LiveActive Raspberry Peach
LiveActive Mixed Berry
Strawberry Kiwi
Tangerine Grapefruit
Original Iced Tea
Rooibos Herbal Tea Mandarin
White Tea Peach Ginger
Green Tea Honey Lemon
Peach Iced Tea

A local store had a big sale so I bought 1 or 2 of each flavor and I take a variety on each trip. I love the Rooibos Herbal Tea Mandarin, White Tea Peach Ginger, LiveActive Raspberry Peach and the Pink Lemonade. I tend to use 750 ml of water per single instead of the suggested 500 ml as I find it just a little too strong otherwise.

Rocket Jones
08-14-2009, 14:34
A while ago there was a sale at Big Lots stores where you could buy a 1 ltr nalgene with 10 single packs of Crystal Light inside for $2.00 each. IIRC, it was 5 lemonade and 5 pink lemonade.

I seldom shop there, but I made a special trip for that one. They had an entire shelf full of the bottles.

Manwich
08-14-2009, 14:38
Propel Packets.

http://outside.away.com/images/outside/buyers-guide-summer-2007/propel-powder.jpg

Homer&Marje
08-14-2009, 14:38
Cherry pomegrante is the best...IMO...but it does stain skin red and turn your mouth red for a while....

Trail lipstick for the gals....

boarstone
08-14-2009, 19:05
..........ditto.....

propel Packets.

http://outside.away.com/images/outside/buyers-guide-summer-2007/propel-powder.jpg

millergear
08-14-2009, 20:43
Lemon Crystal Light and 151 Proof Bacardi Rum!

saimyoji
08-14-2009, 20:51
i've been using those little packets for a few years now but always found them to be too strong. they say one packet per 500ml but i usually go 1 / L. i was raised in a low salt, low fat healthy family though. ;)

Tin Man
08-14-2009, 21:00
I have been taking the gatorade singles lately

Blissful
08-14-2009, 21:01
Used them a lot on my hike; beats plain water for lunch / dinner.

Hooch
08-14-2009, 21:26
I'm a fan of the lemon or lemonade Propel packets mixed with fruit punch Gatorade. Good stuff.

summermike
08-14-2009, 21:46
I avoid Aspartame like the plague.

Funkmeister
08-14-2009, 22:07
Happy hour: one Crystal Lite (or whatever) packet, and 2 oz of Grain Alcohol. Foot pain resolved.

buzzamania
08-14-2009, 22:07
the great value early sunrise (orange) flavor from walmart is my favorite!

Erin
08-14-2009, 22:23
We have used both CL and Propel. The CL mixes better with a little vodka for a night cap on the AT and Grand Canyon hike which is what we used it for in the evening. We used Propel for a daytime electorlyte water mix in the heat.

ShelterLeopard
08-14-2009, 22:48
I use crystal light and lipton tea, but like LaurieAnn, I dillute it a bit, because I don't want something quite so strong.

Gray Blazer
08-14-2009, 22:57
Call me crazy, but, I really like the taste of fresh mountain spring water!

Nearly Normal
08-14-2009, 23:01
Yep.........

Gray Blazer
08-14-2009, 23:25
Yep.........

You're just jealous cuz I talk to Big Foot.

Heater
08-15-2009, 00:06

Is that what they're calling it nowadays?

fiddlehead
08-15-2009, 00:17
I put fake sugar in the same category as Deet.
Not something i'm fond of.
But i do like the Bacardi 151 idea.

I guess i get my sugar fix from snickers and bear claws

Nearly Normal
08-15-2009, 01:57

He tells you where all the best water sources are I'll bet.

LaurieAnn
08-15-2009, 09:54
Call me crazy, but, I really like the taste of fresh mountain spring water!

I do too - but you don't get much of that in the boreal and Canadian Shield, where I do most of my travel. It's nice to hide the organic boggy taste from some sources.

I'd prefer to avoid artificial sweeteners but I can't completely because of medical reasons. That said, I have found a great product that I can use to make the water taste better without sugar or sweetener... so I am happy about that.

Lady Grey (http://www.wildernesscooking.com/blog/?p=137)

Homer&Marje
08-15-2009, 10:37
Met a SoBo at Tom Leonard lean to....Emo Tolstoy was his name. Came sobo while I was pumping water (very rusty water) in front of the shelter...he asked if I was a thru hiker, I said no, he said he was sobo....I asked him why he didn't have a pack on?

He said he was ressupplying and getting his dog back from his mom a few miles down the trail and was doing some 12 miles real quick to meet up with her. He had walked 5 miles with no water or anything and had 7 to go so he asked for a sip of water....

30 minutes later after relaxing in front of the shelter he took two "trash" water bottles that I had bought in sheffield and was planning on packing out filled them up and I gave him some Rasberry ice packs I believe....he was very happy. 32 oz of juice instead of 7 miles with no water....

Tin Man
08-15-2009, 12:43
Met a SoBo at Tom Leonard lean to....Emo Tolstoy was his name. Came sobo while I was pumping water (very rusty water) in front of the shelter...he asked if I was a thru hiker, I said no, he said he was sobo....I asked him why he didn't have a pack on?

He said he was ressupplying and getting his dog back from his mom a few miles down the trail and was doing some 12 miles real quick to meet up with her. He had walked 5 miles with no water or anything and had 7 to go so he asked for a sip of water....

30 minutes later after relaxing in front of the shelter he took two "trash" water bottles that I had bought in sheffield and was planning on packing out filled them up and I gave him some Rasberry ice packs I believe....he was very happy. 32 oz of juice instead of 7 miles with no water....

emo ain't too bright. if it were me out there with extras, i wouldn't help the professional yogi. someone in need, sure i help. he ain't needy.

Homer&Marje
08-15-2009, 13:00
emo ain't too bright. if it were me out there with extras, i wouldn't help the professional yogi. someone in need, sure i help. he ain't needy.

To be quite honest your right...he self admittedly said he was mooching the trail sobo on $1100 doing what he can here and there for people to earn a meal or a stay...

But he isn't rude, annoying or forceful about anything...he tried to turn the juice down saying it wasn't necessary....but I thought he was a good kid.

Tin Man
08-15-2009, 14:14
To be quite honest your right...he self admittedly said he was mooching the trail sobo on $1100 doing what he can here and there for people to earn a meal or a stay...

But he isn't rude, annoying or forceful about anything...he tried to turn the juice down saying it wasn't necessary....but I thought he was a good kid.

$1100?!? wth!?! like i said, professional yogi... no need to encourage that behavior... it would be better to tell him to get a job and pay his own way.

Homer&Marje
08-15-2009, 20:40
$1100?!? wth!?! like i said, professional yogi... no need to encourage that behavior... it would be better to tell him to get a job and pay his own way.

If it were posed differently, lets say him posting a thread online about.."Trying a SoBo on $1100"

99 out of 100 here would tell him to do it, go for it while your young! Go Until your money runs out! Do what you gotta do, just hike the trail!

Kid wanted a sip of water. That's what he asked for....I gave him 2 bottles of water and 1 juice mix pack. How are you finding fault in that? What would you have done....:-?

Tin Man
08-15-2009, 21:25
If it were posed differently, lets say him posting a thread online about.."Trying a SoBo on $1100"

99 out of 100 here would tell him to do it, go for it while your young! Go Until your money runs out! Do what you gotta do, just hike the trail!

Kid wanted a sip of water. That's what he asked for....I gave him 2 bottles of water and 1 juice mix pack. How are you finding fault in that? What would you have done....:-?

Last year in the Whites, heading north, we met up with a SOBO from Aussie-land. He seemed to want to chat, so we stopped to chat. Very friendly, very nice guy. It was clear he was one serious ultra-lighter with a smallish pack - more than a day slack pack, but way less than we were carrying. When he asked where the next water spot was, I said it was over the next 3 peaks, about 4-5 miles. He said he had just passed a water spot, but drank his fill and put his empty bottle back in his pack and made a silly remark about guess that wasn't too smart. Then he asked if we had water to spare. The way he teed it all up sounded too practiced. We said no, wished him good luck and moved on. We had a liter of water and knew we could get more shortly, but I was not gonna enable him. I ain't fallin' for 'entitled' thrus and carrying stuff for them to yogi. No way, no how. But you go ahead and play mr. nice guy if you like. I don't really care. :)

Homer&Marje
08-15-2009, 22:33
Last year in the Whites, heading north, we met up with a SOBO from Aussie-land. He seemed to want to chat, so we stopped to chat. Very friendly, very nice guy. It was clear he was one serious ultra-lighter with a smallish pack - more than a day slack pack, but way less than we were carrying. When he asked where the next water spot was, I said it was over the next 3 peaks, about 4-5 miles. He said he had just passed a water spot, but drank his fill and put his empty bottle back in his pack and made a silly remark about guess that wasn't too smart. Then he asked if we had water to spare. The way he teed it all up sounded too practiced. We said no, wished him good luck and moved on. We had a liter of water and knew we could get more shortly, but I was not gonna enable him. I ain't fallin' for 'entitled' thrus and carrying stuff for them to yogi. No way, no how. But you go ahead and play mr. nice guy if you like. I don't really care. :)

Fact is, for 35 seconds worth of pumping my filter he packed out two plastic bottles that would have been trash in my pack.

For 30 minutes of conversation I gained an appreciation for who he was....He did not have a practiced approach to it, it was a conversation....my trail name being Homer (also having to do with the writer) and his name Emo Tolstoy, the Russian author. We got on the conversation of poetry, books and other nonsensical drivel dabble.

Although I see your opinion and understand that many have the routine down...this was just a good kid on a budget. I'm sorry...did YOU meet him? Or...did I. I forget.:rolleyes:

Trailweaver
08-16-2009, 01:31
If anyone here is prone to migraine headaches, you might ought to be aware that some of the instant drink mixes could trigger a headache. I used one on the trail once and was sick within minutes. I was, fortunately, close to a shelter and was able to put up my tent, take my migraine medication, and spend the afternoon/night recovering from a really wicked migraine. Perhaps you should "test" them at home to avoid being sick on the trail.

Tin Man
08-16-2009, 06:31
...you go ahead and play mr. nice guy if you like. I don't really care. :)

...this was just a good kid on a budget. I'm sorry...did YOU meet him? Or...did I. I forget.:rolleyes:

betcha also throw money to able bodied people sitting on the sidewalk with a sign, 'good kid on a budget needs cash for food'. :rolleyes:

they all have a sob story. like i said, you do what you like. if you want to enable, then enable. i have done so in the past and just don't any more.

Homer&Marje
08-16-2009, 07:14
See, that's where your wrong. I never give out money or anything that I deem...important to my own well being.

Hence why I did not give him lunch, a bag of gorp or something like that.

2 bottles of rusty water and 1 juice pack...never said anyone else had to either...good to teach them scouts an ounce of civility though...given the right situation:rolleyes:

Tin Man
08-16-2009, 07:21
if it's wrong to suggest that people should pay their own way, then i choose to be wrong.

Homer&Marje
08-16-2009, 13:05
He is paying his own way. He is just spending less than the average thru hiker and getting as much "trail magic" as he can....

Not like he's on the side of a precious trail town with a can jingling change...

yet:D

Tin Man
08-16-2009, 19:54
$1100 is not paying his own way. not now not 10 years ago. he's a mooch and you enabled him. simple

sarbar
08-16-2009, 20:37
I prefer Celestial Seasoning Zingers To Go. http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/category.html/zingers-to-go

Good stuff! They are sweetened with Stevia.

Used to love Crystal Light but for the past 3 or so years I have had no artificial colors in my diet, of which CL is full of. BTW, I saw a mention here of Nutrasweet being a bumper for migraines. You might look at the coloring instead as being one of the reasons. It is why I cannot have ANY artificial coloring. It is my main trigger for vertigo migrianes.

The other reason I love the Zingers is they are not overly sweet, have vitamins added and most of all taste great. They hide them in the tea aisle.

Different Socks
08-16-2009, 21:36
What was wrong with carrying the little round containers instead of the packets?

Tin Man
08-16-2009, 21:44
no measuring required

sarbar
08-16-2009, 23:33
Ease of use. And more so, the tubs made 2L, the sticks make 16 to 20 ounces. Back in the day when I did drink it I would make a 2L bladder up in camp in the evening - and make sure I had drunk it by morning. Got me hydrated at least!

Wise Old Owl
08-17-2009, 00:02
What was wrong with carrying the little round containers instead of the packets?

Hey go ahead and carry it,

I premeasure my favorite sport drinks based on 20 oz and use a vacume sealer - works great.

Different Socks
08-17-2009, 00:34
Ease of use. And more so, the tubs made 2L, the sticks make 16 to 20 ounces. Back in the day when I did drink it I would make a 2L bladder up in camp in the evening - and make sure I had drunk it by morning. Got me hydrated at least!

Must have made for one hell of a bathroom break in the morning before anything else!

On the side: Is this the Sarbar that I've seen on the BPer site?

Different Socks
08-17-2009, 00:36
By the way, I'm used to carrying 2, 32oz containers on my hikes. Just fill one with the entire drink mix, split it evenly with the 2nd container and fill both with water.

Jayboflavin04
08-17-2009, 08:48
I use the high test (sugar) Kool-aid packets. Two packs make a liter. Great lunch time boost. I like to make Grapleaid....MMMM

superman
08-17-2009, 10:18
On my AT thru I carried a whole container of powdered gatorade. I felt that I needed the sugar, salt and stuff in it. Now I'm diabetic (no pills or shots) and control it with diet and exercise. I use the no sugar stuff at home and water for my day hikes. I plan to re-hike the AT next year and the doctor and dieticean say that I should be able to eat and drink everything I did last time. I'm not so sure they understand all the crap we eat on a thru hike. I'm thinking that I will start the AT with water and then go into gatorade as my body needs it. I'll just have to pay attention as I hike. I'm looking forward to that Georgia ice cold, high spring water.

sarbar
08-17-2009, 10:24
Must have made for one hell of a bathroom break in the morning before anything else!

On the side: Is this the Sarbar that I've seen on the BPer site?

Oh yeah, 2 Liters drunk at night and in the morning gets you going! For me at least it made sure I didn't get altitude headaches from dehydration :) (I still drink a lot in camp, just now I often brew up herbal tea and let it cool)

And yes, I am the same person on BP.

Many Walks
08-17-2009, 16:03
Another option is from the Arizona Beverage Co. They have boxes of 10 powder stix ($2.50-3.00) that each flavor 16-20 oz. of water. The sweetener is Splenda with no sugar or Aspartame. They have no artificial preservatives. They have natural color and flavor.

The flavors I've found so far are Lemonade, Pomegranate Green Tea, and Green Tea with Gensing.

My preference is good spring water, but these are a nice addition when we're pulling water from a pond or mosquito hole.

Still trying to find the Celestial Seasoning Zingers. Good info Sarbar!

Farr Away
08-18-2009, 14:28
You can also use the regular type of tea bags to cold brew - just put one or two in your container, add water, and wait. Works well and easier to find this type of tea bag. You can use regular, decaf, flavored or herbal.

LaurieAnn
08-18-2009, 15:51
Farr Away - the only problem with that is that tea meant to be brewed with boiling water develops a bitterness and scum when brewed with cold water. You'll have to excuse my picky ways when it comes to tea. I was brought up with a Scottish Mom who is quite particular in how her tea is brewed and I have friends from Sri Lanka (one who's uncle worked for the Sri Lankan tea council). I am more particular than most and notice the subtle issues of a poorly brewed cup.

That said, there is an exception and that is with teas that don't contain traditional tea leaves such as some herbals and fruit teas. Those will brew a fabulous Nalgene of sun tea.

sarbar
08-18-2009, 16:30
You can also use the regular type of tea bags to cold brew - just put one or two in your container, add water, and wait. Works well and easier to find this type of tea bag. You can use regular, decaf, flavored or herbal.

Yep, I use normal Celestial Seasoning herbal bags and "cold brew" them in my water bottle. Heck, I even leave them in all day sometimes - a weak brew makes water have a nice taste ;-) I especially love the blueberry tea they make!

wright975
08-19-2009, 10:02
Have you tried the Gatorade singles? They are very good also.

Farr Away
08-19-2009, 11:57
Yep, I use normal Celestial Seasoning herbal bags and "cold brew" them in my water bottle. Heck, I even leave them in all day sometimes - a weak brew makes water have a nice taste ;-) I especially love the blueberry tea they make!

I do the same thing - 2 peppermint tea bags in a quart bottle, keep refilling.

spindle
08-19-2009, 13:50

Me too. The blueberry is delish but the Almond Sunset is my favorite.

2 bags in the bottle and filter the water right in.

sarbar
08-19-2009, 14:00
Mmmm...peppermint tea! That and cold alpine water=heaven!

spindle
08-19-2009, 14:31
Mmmm...peppermint tea! That and cold alpine water=heaven!

Have you tried Lipton Green Tea mint that way? mmmm

sarbar
08-19-2009, 15:34
Have you tried Lipton Green Tea mint that way? mmmm

No, but now I will! I was talking to Dicentra this morning on the old cell phone - it is going to be low 90's on the trail for her today. I told her "take a full dip in the ice cold creek they have to ford today and drink some cold tea!" This thread had me totally smiling!

Mrs Baggins
08-19-2009, 21:12
I'd be real sure to thoroughly rinse out, with hot water and soap, any container you use this stuff in. The residual sugars, fake or otherwise, will cause the growth of mold. So every time you use any of these instant flavoring things make sure you completely wash out your water bottles/bladders to avoid the growth of mold. A simple rinse out with cold water won't do it. You'll soon see little black spots on your water containers. That's mold.

ki0eh
08-19-2009, 21:32
I've started to use G2 packets to supplement the MRE drink mix packets that used to be our standby.

We don't mix in the bottle (we like our bottles to be water only) though, but on the tongue. Kind of like Pixy Stix. Shake a little on the tongue, wash it down with a good draught, repeat.

mudcap
08-19-2009, 22:27
Farr Away - the only problem with that is that tea meant to be brewed with boiling water develops a bitterness and scum when brewed with cold water. You'll have to excuse my picky ways when it comes to tea. I was brought up with a Scottish Mom who is quite particular in how her tea is brewed and I have friends from Sri Lanka (one who's uncle worked for the Sri Lankan tea council). I am more particular than most and notice the subtle issues of a poorly brewed cup.

That said, there is an exception and that is with teas that don't contain traditional tea leaves such as some herbals and fruit teas. Those will brew a fabulous Nalgene of sun tea.
:confused: Can you be more specific?

Put that in English for us non-experts. I have never had a bad batch of sun tea. Never tasted bitter or scum in all my years.

You mention boiling water. What teas exactly are meant for boiling water?

I am no expert like you but I have taste buds and a little knowledge.

From what I understand green tea is best brewed between 160-180 degrees.

190 degrees for Oolong.

200 degrees for black.

Please share all of your expertise on teas,I know I am willing to learn. I must have been missing something all these years. Thanks for any info. I love tea.

sarbar
08-20-2009, 00:10
I'd be real sure to thoroughly rinse out, with hot water and soap, any container you use this stuff in. The residual sugars, fake or otherwise, will cause the growth of mold. So every time you use any of these instant flavoring things make sure you completely wash out your water bottles/bladders to avoid the growth of mold. A simple rinse out with cold water won't do it. You'll soon see little black spots on your water containers. That's mold.

That is a very real reason why I only make sugar drinks in easily washed containers - and not sip them through hydration tubes! Years ago I had real issues with the dreaded black mold in my tubing. YECH!!!!!!!!!!! A cleaning brush system is well worth the cost for bladder users and or a baby bottle brush for Nalgenes.

Homer&Marje
08-20-2009, 07:44
In college we used to put a 72oz mix drink in my camelback and I would go out to the bars with it on:D Saves money

Mold is why I don't put anything but water in my bladder now besides water

Mrs Baggins
08-20-2009, 07:59
That is a very real reason why I only make sugar drinks in easily washed containers - and not sip them through hydration tubes! Years ago I had real issues with the dreaded black mold in my tubing. YECH!!!!!!!!!!! A cleaning brush system is well worth the cost for bladder users and or a baby bottle brush for Nalgenes.

I've had water bottles that were used for nothing but water grow mold around the openings. I kept a plastic bottle on my desk at work and just kept refilling it every day. One day I actually looked at the top after removing it to refill the bottle and was horrified to see black mold growing in it! When we return from a hike I take every single item that had water or food in it, even if we "cleaned" them on the trail, and immerse them all in a sink full of hot water, dish soap, and a very small amount of bleach. All containers, all tubing, all dishes, all utensils, all pots and cups - everything.

Homer&Marje
08-20-2009, 08:20
I've had water bottles that were used for nothing but water grow mold around the openings. I kept a plastic bottle on my desk at work and just kept refilling it every day. One day I actually looked at the top after removing it to refill the bottle and was horrified to see black mold growing in it! When we return from a hike I take every single item that had water or food in it, even if we "cleaned" them on the trail, and immerse them all in a sink full of hot water, dish soap, and a very small amount of bleach. All containers, all tubing, all dishes, all utensils, all pots and cups - everything.

That's what I do, My nalgene canteen has developed some tiny holes on the bottom, so I only carry it if all 3 of us are hiking and carry and store it upside down. As a free replacement I am using a 48 oz plastic juice container that squishes flat while in the pack, used it about 10 times so far and cleaned well every time, no mold. remembering to dry everything thoroughly before storing is key too...takes a couple days for a platypus unless you use a hair dryer

LaurieAnn
08-20-2009, 09:29
Bacteria from your mouth on water bottles can be an issue too - which is why I wash our bottles frequently on a trip and we never share personal water bottles. Also I have a strict rule about people drinking out of the other bladders we take... use your personal water bottle. We never noticed a correlation between sugared drinks and increased mold growth.

I do disinfect all eating and drinking gear when we get home as well as the pots and utensils. I don't use bleach even at home (environmental impact) so instead I wash with hot soapy water and then soak everything for two minutes in boiling water.

sarbar
08-20-2009, 10:53
One issue with mold is saliva. Seems weird but it can be the reason. Especially if you have the habit of blowing back air into a hydration tube so it won't leak if pinched.

Due to the whole mold thing when I get home from any trip first thing I do after unloading is to clean my bottles good - rinse, scrub with soap and hot water, rinse and then air dry. This keeps them clean as can be :)

For my husband who likes his bladder I find that every two or so years I just have to give in and get new tubing for him, when it gets to the point where I cannot clean it good enough.

You can also do a slow boil and immerse the tubing, which I do every month or so for his, with the bite valve stuff.

sarbar
08-20-2009, 10:55
On bleach: Properly used it is quite beneficial. Use it like the Health Departments require for restaurants and it will keep your drinking gear in top shape. All you need is a clean bucket and make up a bleach rinse. After cleaning and rinsing your gear, dip in, drain and let air dry.
It is a very easy step that is proven to work. I have worked in so many food places that a bleach rinse is a no brainer!

LaurieAnn
08-20-2009, 11:48
"In the environment, sodium hypochlorite [common household bleach] is acutely toxic to fish. The chlorine in bleach can also bind with organic material in the marine environment to form organochlorines, toxic compounds that can persist in the environment. Chlorine use is a particular concern for those who live in areas such as Victoria, where there is not even primary treatment of sewage wastewater before it is discharged into the ocean."

quoted from the Labour Environmental Alliance Society

Not Sunshine
08-21-2009, 17:35
I was addicted to these delicious sugar-free drink mixes -- but recently i've heard that although they don't have sugar in them to rot teeth (form dental caries) they DO contain citric and/or phosphoric acid - the same reason why i've given up my beloved diet coke - these drinks are rotting my teeth! But gosh they're so good!

Just a warning...I wish I had known about it before my 4 massive fillings. Guess it's better late than never. Enjoy in moderation. blah blah - I hate that saying.

Trailweaver
09-06-2009, 23:43
I used a Crystal Lite mix last year on the trail (had never used it before, like tested it at home) and within minutes after drinking it for lunch, I became very sick with a migraine headache. I had to hike to a shelter, sick to my stomach and with a blinding headache, take my migraine medication, pitch the tent, and go to bed for hours before it went away. I'll never make that mistake again. This is just a warning to those who may be migraine prone. . .

sarbar
09-07-2009, 09:57
I used a Crystal Lite mix last year on the trail (had never used it before, like tested it at home) and within minutes after drinking it for lunch, I became very sick with a migraine headache. I had to hike to a shelter, sick to my stomach and with a blinding headache, take my migraine medication, pitch the tent, and go to bed for hours before it went away. I'll never make that mistake again. This is just a warning to those who may be migraine prone. . .
The artificial coloring and sweetener are the triggers. Can be very bad for us who get migraines :(

YoungMoose
09-07-2009, 10:00
I like Gatorade mix more the the proprell more then the crystal light

sarbar
09-07-2009, 10:04
"In the environment, sodium hypochlorite [common household bleach] is acutely toxic to fish. The chlorine in bleach can also bind with organic material in the marine environment to form organochlorines, toxic compounds that can persist in the environment. Chlorine use is a particular concern for those who live in areas such as Victoria, where there is not even primary treatment of sewage wastewater before it is discharged into the ocean."

quoted from the Labour Environmental Alliance Society

So restaurants in Canada don't use bleach to disinfect their dishes and their surfaces you are saying? I highly doubt that.

On the other hand, the whole unrelated thing you bring up about Vancouver Island is an issue that causes many in the area across the water to grind their teeth. Victoria's polluted sewage they spill into the Straight of Juan is beyond disgusting and is a 3rd world practice - the raw sewage winds it way down through the San Juan Islands and into the waters off the Olympic National Park. Without hesitation when US citizens in the area complain about Canada it is over their sheer laziness to properly take care of their sewage. It is both lazy and extremely harmful to humans, fish and the environment. That you would bring it up is shocking, considering that Victoria tries to dust over it all the time in past history! I lived for over a decade in the bottom of the San Juan's so this was a real issue for us there.

We will see what happens since supposedly they are finally building treatment plants, something the Canadian Gov't should have forced oh, 50 years ago!
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jun/11/victoria-bc-to-stop-sending-untreated-sewage-into/

LaurieAnn
09-07-2009, 23:04
I was merely illustrating the ill effects of chlorine on things like fish populations. The sewage issue is another matter entirely. Sewage should be taken care of but there are OTHER methods that don't destroy already challenged fish populations.

Now back to the topic at hand.

New discovery on this past wilderness trip... Nestea's newest instant iced tea singles... Apple and Goji Berry... totally delicious!