PDA

View Full Version : Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

horicon
08-14-2009, 14:26
I readint the book called Born to Run.What is everyone opion on this book.

BigCat
08-14-2009, 17:15
I read it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed. I also work in a major college athletic dept, and there's quite a movement in the track & field community to get away from high-tech cushioned shoes.

Skidsteer
08-14-2009, 19:11
I moved this thread to the Trail Running and Speed Hiking Forum. Seems like a better fit.

yaduck9
08-23-2009, 17:02
found some youtube vids on the sandals and running in sandals...its crazy.

will get the book very soon.

JJJ
08-23-2009, 17:32
I've been gradually migrating my runs to sandals, even on the AT sometimes.
I'm surprised more fast runner's/sprinters haven't already made the switch.
The form and weight benefits are striking to me at least.
I'm looking forward to the book.
jjj

Chowder
08-23-2009, 19:36
Isn't this the push behind products like the Vibrum Five Fingers I hear lots of people raving about?

dreamsoftrails
08-26-2009, 12:52
I've been gradually migrating my runs to sandals, even on the AT sometimes.
I'm surprised more fast runner's/sprinters haven't already made the switch.
The form and weight benefits are striking to me at least.
I'm looking forward to the book.
jjj

I hiked about five hundred miles on the AT this past spring in chaco sandals. they were great and i could see speed hiking and running in them. highest mileage in them was 28 miles in a day.

dreamsoftrails
08-26-2009, 12:53
Isn't this the push behind products like the Vibrum Five Fingers I hear lots of people raving about?
yeah, but i think the five fingers have turned into more of a novelty. for one, kayakers like them, but they do collect sand in an irritable manner in water. i have heard of the idea of running and hiking in them, but haven't seen it happen.

Camping Dave
08-27-2009, 21:37
there's quite a movement in the track & field community to get away from high-tech cushioned shoes.

I saw several barefoot runners at last October's Marine Corp marathon.

sbhikes
09-15-2009, 23:22
I saw a guy wearing five fingers on the PCT. He was a day hiker, but he had to have hiked several miles to get where he was. I'm not sure I see the point of them. If you want your toes free, just wear wider shoes. If you want to feel barefoot, then go barefoot.

acronym
10-29-2009, 11:40
I'm about 4/5 through it and mcdougall is starting to piss me off. The book reads like guerrilla advertising. I wish he would of kept more to the history of the indians, ultra-running and the people involved (without all the embellishing) and lay off the preaching. Yes, it might be working for him right now, but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and put every running injury on nike.

takethisbread
10-31-2009, 11:27
good book. I believe a lot of what he says, but barefoot on the AT is not something I would recommend, not unless you like broken feet or ankles

docllamacoy
11-17-2009, 11:45
Great book!! It pretty much confirmed what I've been thinking about barefoot/near-barefoot running. I haven't yet attempted it, though. I have a pair of wannabe Nike Free shoes. I don't recommend them. I'm holding out for the Vibram FiveFinger Women's KSO Trek to be released in the Spring.
I did just complete a pair of huaraches last night. I ordered the materials/instructions from Barefoot Ted. Pretty easy to make. Just going to walk in them first before I even attempt to run in them. I needed an alternative to the inches-thick Chacos I've been wearing for the past 6 years.
I do have a bum knee, and the thinner-soled my shoes, the less it hurts. If I run barefoot just for fun, my knee doesn't hurt at all.

Here are some pictures of my huaraches:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/llamaring/huaraches.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/llamaring/huaraches2.jpg

JJJ
11-24-2009, 16:28
Those look so cool, Doc.
I'm hoping Santa will bring a kit for me. :)
I've been running on the AT in Merrill sandals off and on, but I almost took a fall Sat. where a stob hung up beside my little toe.
Those look very streamline -sleek. I wouldn't had that problem in those.
You could even wear Injinji socks with those for cold days. :D
I take it a lot easier in sandals vs trail runners, but there's less and less difference every week it seems.
jjj