PDA

View Full Version : Gear List

Crispy
07-20-2004, 20:36
Here is my Appalachian Tail Gear list. I would appreciate any suggestions people would have.

Granite Gear Vapour Trail
Pack Cover

Tent MSR Microzoid
Tarp
Ground Sheet
Sleeping Bag
Thermarest

White gas stove MSR simmerlite
gas
pot
matches
cup
spoon
bandanas

Nalgene water bottles
filter
water bag

hiking boots
hat
toque
wicking t-shirt
under shirt and bottoms
warm shirt
shorts
pants
rain jacket
3 warm socks
2 liner socks
light gloves
2 underwear
warm synthetic or fleece jacket

Toothbrush
paste
floss
soap
sanitizer
inset repellant
toilet paper

First aid kit
headlamp
watch
knife
camera
batteries
map
duct tape
sunglasses
caribeaner
parachute cord
journal and pen
ID,money,bank card

repair kit

steve hiker
07-20-2004, 20:52
What type of sleeping bag, and when will you start?

Also if you want to keep a journal you may want to pick up a few sheets of paper in towns, in maildrops or asking for trash paper from trashcans, rather than lug around a full size notebook.

cupcake
07-20-2004, 21:30
i know there a lots of things one can contribute to helping with your list, but one thing that comes to mind for me is your water bottles/filter/bag combo.
i recommend wide mouth 32 oz gatorade bottles because they weigh less than naglenes. i also recommend using aqua mira drops -- the bottle set is only 3 oz, doesn't clog, and tastes fine. water bag? when i was hiking, i didn't see anyone use one.
to each his/her own --- there are lots of other gear lists with great suggestions on this forum -- take time to read over what other people carried, or proposed to carry, as so many have contributed here. perhaps you carry these things because you prefer them, or because it's all you know.
good luck!
d

Crispy
07-20-2004, 22:46
thank you very much. i really appreciate your help. What did people do instead of carrying water jugs, and where do you buy those drops.

Moon Monster
07-21-2004, 00:26
Do you need both a tent and a tarp? Instead of carrying a cup, consider an empty yogurt container. You get to eat the yogurt every time you buy a new cup. They are actually pretty durable against cracking in your pack. Consider only one pair of underwear and two pair of socks. You can even go to one pair of socks, but a second pair is awful nice after a couple days of rain and mud.

Both soap and sanitizer sound redundant depending on what you're using them for. Many folks wind up not carrying any soap. Many folks also switch to alcohol or small canister stoves to save on weight vs. the fuel bottle variety. Do you need a caribiner? If it's for bearbagging, consider using a rock or stick from your campsite instead.

There are few places on the AT where it is sunny enough for sunglasses and chances are it will be raining when you get to those places.

Happy trails!

cupcake
07-21-2004, 01:09
depending on the season, the a.t. has frequent water spots. check your maps. often times too, shelters are near water sources. if you have an idea of where you're going to camp for the night, you just plan ahead. if you're going to stay at a shelter with a water source, there's no hauling of water. if the last water source you're somewhat sure of is a mile or two before the shelter or campsite, then just refill your bottles. the aqua mira drops are made by mcnett -- same guys that make seam sealer for tents. you can do a google search and find plenty of vendors online. they're simple to use, though they involve a wait time for the chemicals to activate.
honestly, i don't own a filter and have never used one --- when i researched for my hike, i just read and read, and decided the drops would be something that would work for me.

sticks
07-21-2004, 05:16
I see you have matches but a bic lighter is better, if it gets wet it will dry out and still work, even if it is out of fuel the flint will still light your stove. I carry a few matches in a waterproof container but they are for emergency situations...such as when I have lost my lighter.:datz

Also go to a yuppie health food store and get some tooth brushing powder instead of toothpaste.

I use a water bag, one trip to the water source when I set up and I am done with that chore. I have water for supper, breakfast, and drinking with no more trips to get water plus it reduces impact around the water source.

Stop carrying soap? Sounds like an invitation for hepatitis or some gastrointestenal bug to me.

SalParadise
07-21-2004, 12:14
definitely dump either the tent or the tarp, and try out the tarp in the rain beforehand, since tarps sometimes have problems with water getting through.
Wrap some duct tape around either your water bottle or your hiking poles so you don't have to bring the whole roll.
I never carried any soap. Pots are easy to clean with water and you're not going to get a disease by just not showering in 5 days.
I ditched my water filter the 2nd week for weight reasons. AquaMira or iodine works fine.
Why bring a cup at all if you've already got water bottles?
Sunglasses are nice to have initially until the trees leaf.
I did carry caribeaners to hook things like my Nalgene bottle and knife to the outside of my pack.

But it looks like you're pretty well set. Good luck.

Crispy
07-21-2004, 12:53
I will be starting in very early march at Springer mountain. I have a lightweight MEc sleeping bag that weighs just under 2 punds and is rated for about +10 celsius

johnny quest
07-21-2004, 12:55
ive recently decided to pick up a water bag myself. the kind with the big ziplock mouth. it will double as my food hangbag. i agree it makes more since to get all your water for the campday at one time.

sgtjinx
07-21-2004, 13:03
Instead of a tarp. You could try a military poncho with the parachute cord. It beats a store brought tarp and the ponchos are lighter and stonger too. :D

jlb2012
07-21-2004, 13:11
I will be starting in very early march at Springer mountain. I have a lightweight MEc sleeping bag that weighs just under 2 punds and is rated for about +10 celsius

Early March with a 50 deg. F (10 deg C) bag ??? - I hope you have enough clothes to make up the difference otherwise you are very likely to be very cold sleeping (if you can call it that - more like shivering and trying to sleep)

The Solemates
07-21-2004, 15:10
We just completed our thru-hike July 3. We left Springer Feb 1. I know that in early March we still had many nights (probably over 50% of the nights) in the teens, and many in the single digits. There is absolutely no way a 50 degree bag will work unless you are an Eskimo.

Crispy
07-21-2004, 17:31
I am just guessing on the temperature of my bag. I would appreciate any suggestions in bags that i could purchase to keep me warm in march. THank YOu. i have a minus 30 bag for skiing in alberta but i thought that might be to warm. Again help with the bag and weather would be appreciated.

SalParadise
07-21-2004, 18:05
you could go with the -30 bag until Mt. Rogers, VA, and then switch to your warm-degree bag for summer. You won't have to buy another bag, and with your -30 bag you could probably get away with carrying less winter clothing.