PDA

View Full Version : Whitebox Stove-Cobalt Stove

zelph
08-15-2009, 10:28
I made this video yesterday to show how the Cobalt Compares to the Whitebox. Maybe this will get some users to give their imput on their use of the two stoves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/th_Movie_0001.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/?action=view&current=Movie_0001.flv)

Wags
08-16-2009, 21:56
zelph that stove of yours looks great, and i think that tinny guy is a tool. however i fail to see why it matters when the stoves start to bloom without a pot on top of them? as soon as the alcohol gets burning, a pot can be set on the top and it should burn out of the jets. or am i thinking about this incorrectly?

zelph
08-16-2009, 22:09
zelph that stove of yours looks great, and i think that tinny guy is a tool. however i fail to see why it matters when the stoves start to bloom without a pot on top of them? as soon as the alcohol gets burning, a pot can be set on the top and it should burn out of the jets. or am i thinking about this incorrectly?

With these types of stoves you need to wait till it blooms and then wait for a few seconds before you put the pot on. If you don't wait for them to heat up little and put a pot of cold water on them the flame will reduce in size and almost go out. It's just the nature of the stove. I'll see if I can direct you to a youtube video that shows the effect of cold on the stove.

I created the "Cobalt Blue Soloist" stove and cold water has no effect on it as it does on the WBS, the Bios1 and the Cobalt.

Bill Ballowe is the maker of the WBS and tinny is the one that makes the bios. Both of their stoves need to be primmed with alcohol to make them bloom quicker. Priming is a waste of fuel also.

Wags
08-16-2009, 22:20
i understand that if i don't wait a bit it'll go out, but does one really have to wait until the bloom comes out of the jets? the DIY stovie bug i had got stopped after i built a homemade woodstove that works excellent. i just carry a little alky supercat or fancie feast backup with only a few ozs of alky

MikenSalem
08-16-2009, 22:32
I got a notawhitebox stove made it myself. :banana I experimented with different jet sizes and configurations. Then I ran out of aluminum bottles :(
Waiting on more bottles... It'll start with the pot on top if you use a primer pan which is my normal use. I don't know about fuel efficiency and really don't care:eek:
it's my baby :D and it uses about an ounce to boil a cup of water.

Ranc0r
08-16-2009, 22:53
I got a notawhitebox stove made it myself. :banana I experimented with different jet sizes and configurations. Then I ran out of aluminum bottles :(
Waiting on more bottles... It'll start with the pot on top if you use a primer pan which is my normal use. I don't know about fuel efficiency and really don't care:eek:

Well, it's your hike, but if you are using a full ounce of Heet to boil just one cup of water, you aren't getting very good efficiency at all, and are likely wasting fuel in the process. I made my own whitebox-like stove and can boil half a liter on .6 oz. fuel, in almost every pot I own or have made. The pot makes all the difference in eeking out those minutes of cooking time, but 1 oz. to 1 cup - I think I could do as well dribbling the fuel out onto a sheet of foil. Buy hey, carry your own fuel, burn it however you like.

My biggest problem is that my local Kroger only has Bud Lite in the aluminum bottles, and I just loathe drinking Bud Lite. But I haz Guinness stoves, Hieneken stoves and pots, Red Bull stoves... I recycle most everything eventually.

Ranc0r

MikenSalem
08-16-2009, 23:27
Well, it's your hike, but if you are using a full ounce of Heet to boil just one cup of water, you aren't getting very good efficiency at all, and are likely wasting fuel in the process. I made my own whitebox-like stove and can boil half a liter on .6 oz. fuel, in almost every pot I own or have made. The pot makes all the difference in eeking out those minutes of cooking time, but 1 oz. to 1 cup - I think I could do as well dribbling the fuel out onto a sheet of foil. Buy hey, carry your own fuel, burn it however you like.

My biggest problem is that my local Kroger only has Bud Lite in the aluminum bottles, and I just loathe drinking Bud Lite. But I haz Guinness stoves, Hieneken stoves and pots, Red Bull stoves... I recycle most everything eventually.

Ranc0r

What's your jet size and spacing? Makes sense about the pots. Let me know how your dribbling goes but be aware there's a pill for that..

zelph
08-24-2009, 10:50
Those of you that have WBS, do you use a primer plate to jump start the stove or do you wrap fiberglass wick around it and then prime it.?

Ranc0r
08-24-2009, 11:16
What's your jet size and spacing? Makes sense about the pots. Let me know how your dribbling goes but be aware there's a pill for that..

Mike n Salem, Mass? Go Witches!

The holes are .060" and there are 22 of them around the can, so around 3/8" apart.

I routinely boil 2-3 cups on about 2/3 oz. Heet. A full ounce of fuel and I boil a lot of water away before the stove quits. Cover your pot and use a windscreen, tho I don't bother in my kitchen-lab.

What pill is available to prevent dribbling? Esbit?

Ranc0r

zelph
08-27-2009, 18:51

That's cool, can you get us video of that?

strayerkl
07-02-2010, 09:36
I take it you did not follow the instructions on the whitebox stove. I can get mine to blossom at 23 seconds almost like clockwork every single time. And so can most of the other people that I know that have one. In order to do this you have to put a drop or two of fuel on the primer plate i.e. read the instructions. So if you follow the instructions for the stove the two are equal. Leave it to the maker of a certain stove to give a biases and flawed review.

zelph
07-10-2010, 14:25
I take it you did not follow the instructions on the whitebox stove. I can get mine to blossom at 23 seconds almost like clockwork every single time. And so can most of the other people that I know that have one. In order to do this you have to put a drop or two of fuel on the primer plate i.e. read the instructions. So if you follow the instructions for the stove the two are equal. Leave it to the maker of a certain stove to give a biases and flawed review.

When I received a WBS from Bill the instruction sheet did not say you needed to prime it to get it to bloom fast. Only after I did a test of his stove did he start including that information. I had not created the Cobalt stove at the time I did the tests on bplite.com. Read the thread and Look at the dates.
http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=823

Let me tell you something about burning alcohol. One or two drops in a primer pan will be quickly consumed in 5 seconds. You need a lot more drops than that to burn 23 seconds as stated in your comment. :rolleyes:

After you have read the thread at bplite come back here and talk me about the flaws in my review.

The Cobalt stove blooms in short order and does not require priming. It's much better than the Bios and the WBS. It's user friendly;)

KnittingMelissa
08-02-2010, 19:30
I've never understood the need to prime an alchy stove. I built one out of a frappachino can (I love me some vanilla frappachino), and have never had to prime it. The worst time I've ever had on it was a minute and a half to get jets blooming, but there were circumstances...

It was -20F, wind was coming at 30mph, it was at 8500', and I had stuck the can in a chunk of snow to test it (for extremes). It still boiled two cups of water on an ounce of HEET. No priming. But it really didn't like working for that boiling water.

Another stove that same night, primed, bloomed slightly faster, but was messier. It really wasn't a priming design. It set some of the surrounding snow on fire for a little bit, which was amusing.