PDA

View Full Version : getting from the AT to the Long Trail

The Phoenix
08-15-2009, 17:11
I'm thinking about hitting the Long Trail when I get down to Vermont... anyone in the area able to swing me up North?

PM me with any info

Godspeed

-The Phoenix-

atraildreamer
08-15-2009, 17:32
Uh...I don't know how to tell you this...but the southern half of the Long Trail is also the Appalachian Trail through Vermont. :rolleyes:

Dogwood
08-15-2009, 17:43
Ah, don't really understand what you mean by saying swing you up north. The AT, from its start at the Mass/Ver border, is also the start(southern terminus) of the Vermont/Long Trail. The two trals, the AT and Long Tr., share the same tread from the Mass/Ver border to the point where they diverge just past Killington. At that point the Long Tr. goes north and the AT veers roughly northeast. Get a Long Trail Guide describing the trail in detail or pull go to the Long/Vermont Trail website to see a map and details.

Ender
08-15-2009, 17:45
Do you mean that you need a ride to the northern start of the LT so you can hike back down to the AT/LT junction?

The Phoenix
08-15-2009, 20:18
I don't know if this makes sense... but I am trying to say that when I come down to where the AT first meets the LongTrail (I am coming down South Bound) I am talking about getting up to the End point of the Long Trail on the Vermont/Canada boarder and hiking down... on my merry way to Maryland finishing my AT thru-hike and completing the Long Trail... I think that makes sense... if you still don't understand me then perhaps I lost my mind somewhere in the 100 mile wilderness... who knows:confused:

Lone Wolf
08-15-2009, 20:22
I don't know if this makes sense... but I am trying to say that when I come down to where the AT first meets the LongTrail (I am coming down South Bound) I am talking about getting up to the End point of the Long Trail on the Vermont/Canada boarder and hiking down... on my merry way to Maryland finishing my AT thru-hike and completing the Long Trail... I think that makes sense... if you still don't understand me then perhaps I lost my mind somewhere in the 100 mile wilderness... who knows:confused:

i knew what you meant first post. your best bet is hitching. it's a long, indirect shuttle. no need to pay $$$. hitching is easy in vermont. it's worth the experience

mudcap
08-15-2009, 20:59
LW, is right on man... Hey it is 40 years since Woodstock man... It will be an experience. VT folks are pretty damn cool in my book. Have fun...

krozby
08-15-2009, 21:04
So what you are saying Lone Wolf is that if I wanted to do the LT southbound and have my car at the southern terminus I would probably have pretty good luck hitching to Trails End or North Troy.

Pat

Lone Wolf
08-15-2009, 21:08
So what you are saying Lone Wolf is that if I wanted to do the LT southbound and have my car at the southern terminus I would probably have pretty good luck hitching to Trails End or North Troy.

Pat

yeah it might take a full day or so but so what? it's all good as they say :)

krozby
08-15-2009, 21:22
Even for me Im male 60. Are there any female 25's wanna hitch with me? Or maybe I can get me a wig and some falsies, bet whoever picked me up would be a little ticked. I think im leaning towards hitching though.

Dogwood
08-15-2009, 22:01
Thanks for the added info. I think I understand now Phoenix. You are hiking the AT southbound. When you reach the junction of the AT and Long Trail in Vermont you wish to jump to the northern terminus of the Long Trail, called Trails End, near the Canada/Vermont border and hike southbound on the Long Tr. to the point where you left the AT and then continue hiking the combined Long Tr/ AT southbound. This way you can say you also hiked the Long Trail as well as the AT. We are now on the same page?

There is no public transportation to Trails End. You can take several buses to get you about 40-45 miles from it though. From there you will have to arrange a shuttle, which some consider expensive, or you can hitch. Hitching is relatively easy in Vermont as nearly everyone that has lived there for long knows about the Long Trail. There are quite a few college age, ex hippie, outdoor, craftsman, and gardening types in Vermont that are often willing to give a ride to a backpacker. You should find there is little difficulty in getting rides in Vermont from the friendly folks that live there year round. If hitching is not comfortable to you you can inquire about shuttles from folks that do that exact thing listed in the Long Trail Guide or Long Trail Website or post that you need a ride on Craig's List.

Happy Hiking.

Tinker
08-15-2009, 22:05
Even for me Im male 60. Are there any female 25's wanna hitch with me? Or maybe I can get me a wig and some falsies, bet whoever picked me up would be a little ticked. I think im leaning towards hitching though.
Then again, someone might know exactly who (what) he's picking up!:o:eek:
I had some great hitches in Vt. and the only time I had any trouble was in the rain with my coyote brown silnylon poncho on. I guess folks figured I was a weirdo or would be ok because I had rain protection, but I stood for a looooooong time with my thumb out on Rte. 100 heading south from Journey's End.
Anyhoo, hitching is always an experience. I had a wonderfully terrifying ride with a guy whose leaky Jeep probably dodged more inspections than it passed, and who was fairly intoxicated, to the point that he must've figured the double yellow on the road was where he should keep the center of the vehicle. Most exhilarating!:D
.............and I lived to tell about it. :banana

krozby
08-16-2009, 21:29
Well Im going to leave for the trail sometime this week, if its raining I'll probably drive on up to North Troy and hope to find a reliable Northbounder to give the keys to to take back to Williamstown. If its not raining maybe Ill leave my car in Williamstown and try my hand at hitching.