PDA

View Full Version : SNP Section Hike

Jaybird62
08-15-2009, 20:57
I was wondering if any of y'all could recommend, or tell me what your favorite 50 to 60 mile section of SNP would be.....I will be entering the park from front royal, so the closer to the north end, the better.....Perhaps just begin 50 or 60 miles down trail from the park entrance?

Jaybird62
08-15-2009, 22:03
Uh, never mind....I was just looking over my maps, and realized that I could do close to half the trail in SNP if I do the northern part. That being said, are there any blue blazes, overlooks etc. that is "to be seen?"

Blissful
08-16-2009, 19:21
In the northern district, not really. I mean, Overall Run Falls (largest falls in the park) near Matthews Arm campground is supposed to be nice, but I have yet to see it myself. Tried to go several times but never made it that far for one reason or another. I need to do that sometime. The AT actually covers some of the nicer views to be had like the Marshalls, etc.

Now the Central district has Whiteoak Canyon which has several falls, a detour to Old Rag (which would add on a day with a circuit hike from the AT). I also liked Lewis Falls by Big Meadows Lodge, and Black Rock right by the lodge has a nice view.