PDA

View Full Version : Swimming/wading along the trail?

vggalan
07-20-2004, 22:55
(I'm putting this in the Health, Safety and Hygiene area because it's really more about drinking water.)

After a day's hike, I love the feeling of stripping down, splashing into a stream, and cooling off. It's refreshing and a good way to wash off that top layer of funk.

The thing is, is this a bad thing to do? I don't use soap, but I am immersing several hundred pounds of stinky hiker in what could possibly be someone's drinking water. Is this considered rude, unsafe, or whatever?

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2004, 23:41
The trick is to be reasonably sure that you're NOT dunking your butt in someone's drinking water....if you're at a stream or brook, soak your feet (or whatever) well downstream from where folks will be drawing their water, and don't do it if you think that the stream you're soaking in crosses the trail down the mountain (i.e. try to remember what the trail was like behind you so you're not washing your ass in water that someone else .3 down the Trail will be drinking).

It's good of you to be considerate enough to think about this, a lot of folks don't bother.

MedicineMan
07-21-2004, 00:30
A list of all the places along the trail
where you can splash a little....
might need to be season oriented. I know
most thru-hikers dont get to enjoy Watauga Lake like we do living near
it year around but you get the idea.

Pencil Pusher
07-21-2004, 01:12
Delaware Water Gap, Hudson River, and some lakes in Harriman State Park are a few. Lotsa water.

illininagel
07-21-2004, 09:32
(i.e. try to remember what the trail was like behind you so you're not washing your ass in water that someone else .3 down the Trail will be drinking).

It's good of you to be considerate enough to think about this, a lot of folks don't bother.

In certain situations, I wonder about whether it makes much of a difference. For instance, a horse trail might pass through the creek just a short distance upstream. The horses don't seem to be very considerate about where they take a dump. For that matter, either do the deer or the birds!

That's one of the reasons I am always careful to treat my water. Even if all of the hikers are considerate around the water source, the animals usually aren't.

:-?

Alligator
07-21-2004, 09:39
A couple of other blue-blaze swim spots in the Jersey section, but no swimming at Sunfish Pond. Great blueberries near there though this time of year. Maybe break this off into a new thread MM. (or is there one already?)

Jaybird
07-21-2004, 10:48
vggalan:

it's very good that you are thinking about things as CLEAN WATER while on the trail....in your beautiful NC where i spend @ least two weeks of vacation per year...the streams look clean & pristine...but, i'd still treat my water because...i know..not everyone is as aware about these environmental problems as us that frequent the outdoors!
(gosh! i feel as if i need to eat some tree bark, now!)

if possible, soak the feet & other body parts in a side stream or pool...& remember those behind you appreciate it! :D