PDA

View Full Version : Services between Boiling Springs and Duncannon

yushan
08-16-2009, 18:32
Are there any?? It looks like 25 miles between the two towns. I see the Darlington and Cove Mtn Shelters. And what exactly is at the ATC Scott Farm Trail Work Center? Is it manned at all?

thanks very much.

Jeff
08-16-2009, 18:40
When I went thru, Scott Farm had a water spigot for hikers. That was a good thing since Darlington Shelter has an unreliable spring. Check with ATC in Boiling Springs 717-258-5771 to see if Scott Farm still has water available.

Definitely no camping at Scott Farm. Too bad...it would be a nice spot for tenting overnite.

Panzer1
08-16-2009, 18:58
Are there any?? It looks like 25 miles between the two towns. I see the Darlington and Cove Mtn Shelters. And what exactly is at the ATC Scott Farm Trail Work Center? Is it manned at all?

thanks very much.

The Scott farm has, water, picknick table and a privy. Do not expect any other services there from the workers.

When you cross route 11, there are services about half mile west.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
08-16-2009, 18:59
When I went thru, Scott Farm had a water spigot for hikers. That was a good thing since Darlington Shelter has an unreliable spring. Check with ATC in Boiling Springs 717-258-5771 to see if Scott Farm still has water available.

Definitely no camping at Scott Farm. Too bad...it would be a nice spot for tenting overnite.

smart on their part. it would turn into party central

Jeff
08-16-2009, 19:07

LW,

You might be right. But, the camping area just south of Boiling Springs doesn't get out of hand.

Kind of noisy with the trains going by though.:o

Panzer1
08-16-2009, 19:08

That would be a perfect place for a party. I wonder if we can get that place for one night a year for a loud drinking party with about 100 or so hikers....We're looking for a place to replace Pine Grove Furnace State park since drinking is not legal there.

Panzer
would also need a very large bonfire.

Dogwood
08-16-2009, 21:00
Trying to understand why you would desire services on those 25 miles, which can typically be hiked rather quickly, rather than just get what you need(services) at either Boiling Springs or Duncannon or just go out from one of those two towns to get something not readily available.

yushan
08-16-2009, 21:12
Thanks for the question. Please tell me about those 25 miles. Is the hike more level so that most hike through it in a day?

thanks.

irritable_badger
08-17-2009, 01:40

thanks very much.

No. But from Boiling Springs to Duncannon should not take you more than a day. It's all flat and boring.

Scott Farm has a water spigot but it comes straight from the river that ATC and Bruce's book say not to drink from. There's even a warning at the MARO office about not drinking for the Condiguinet...

Camp in the corn field before Boiling Springs, wake up, and just keep walking till you get to Duncanon. Which is a crap hole of a town but the Doyle is there so it makes everything better. Don't bother stopping by the MARO office as it'll just slow you down.

Your goal is the Doyle.

Doc
08-17-2009, 06:07
I found this section a nice change and a chance to walk through a wonderful fertile valley. Boiling Springs is a handsome old town with great Pizza and a trail that goes through the heart of town right beside the namesake flowage. I took my time and stayed overnight in Carlisle (Rt. 11) and never felt the need to hurry across the valley floor. I did not cross in the middle of the summer so that may have made all the difference. In fact, that may be why I found Pennsylvania to be one of my favorite trail states.

Hoop Time
08-17-2009, 11:14
From what I have seen/heard, while some hikers do Boiling Springs to Duncannon in one day, others stop at Darlington, or less frequently, Cove for the night. Cove is only about 4 miles from Duncannon. Darlington is 14 north of Boiling Springs and about 12 south of Duncannon.

From Boiling Springs to a spring about 3 miles north of the Scott Farm the trail is mostly flat, much through farm fields. From that spring, you climb around 800 feet to the top of Blue Mountain near Darlington. Cove Mountain is less a climb, around 600 feet.

For through hikers reaching the area, neither presents much of a challenge. But it is not completely "flat" as some have stated.

The Scott Farm does have water, just be patient because the spigot takes forever to start to flow. The spring I mentioned three miles north is a good water source. Last report (about 2 weeks ago I was there) the spring at Darlington is dry.

There is also a good water source past 850 before you start up Cove Mt. If your plan is to skip Cove Shelter and head for Duncannon, better to fill there than to have to detour almost a half-mile round trip from the AT to the spring below Cove Shelter and back.