PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day on the GAT

chefjason
08-17-2009, 09:11
Hello to all fellow Georgians ( and the rest of you I guess). As you can tell by my post count
<-----------
I am kinda new to the WB and to AT hiking. I am working towards hiking all the AT in GA and then, hopefully in 2011, a thru-hike. I was planning on knocking out a big ole chunck of GA on Labor Day weekend, from Friday the 4th around 2:30 at Neels heading NB to Dicks on Monday, unless I am faster than I think I am in which case I will make it to Bly Gap and be done with GA! I was wondering two things; have any of you been on the trail on Labor Day weekends in the past and is it crazy crowded, two; any one else up for a long weekend in the woods with a stranger? :banana I don't bite, usually.

Phreak
08-17-2009, 15:58
PM sent....

Tennessee Viking
08-17-2009, 17:15
Labor day around Neel Gap & Blood Mountain is quite crowded. Mostly day hikers, but a good size of weekend hikers. Springer, Neel Gap, & Unicoi Gap will see a lot of people coming up from the towns, like Helen & Hiawasee, to go hiking around.

chefjason
08-18-2009, 07:28
Labor day around Neel Gap & Blood Mountain is quite crowded. Mostly day hikers, but a good size of weekend hikers. Springer, Neel Gap, & Unicoi Gap will see a lot of people coming up from the towns, like Helen & Hiawasee, to go hiking around.
I was worried about that. I will jsut have to carry a big stick and smack 'em all outta my way!

unclehud
09-09-2009, 09:16
How was it? The section north of Dick's Creek Gap is usually empty.

I camped on the trail to Whitley Gap shelter and saw no one.

chefjason
09-09-2009, 09:47
How was it? The section north of Dick's Creek Gap is usually empty.

I camped on the trail to Whitley Gap shelter and saw no one.
I put in at Neels around 3:30 on Friday. It was a lot latter than I had wanted, but life happens. I stopped in and talked to Cool AT Breeze at Walasi for a few minutes, then headed up the hill. I made it to the top of Cowrock and camped on the open rock face. It was awesome! The moon was so bright I was able to read my map at 10:30 with no head lamp. The next morning I headed out and about 9:00 ran into some folks coming down from the Whitley shelter. Was a friendly gent and his wife who informed me of the water at Hogpen, and that I was the object of much viewing. Apparently several folks who camped at Whitley were watching me on the opposite hillside. :D Sorry to all those guys for making your wives blush.:banana Anyway, on Satuday I was crossing paths with folks all day. I ate lunch at Low Gap shelter with 3 couples from FL, and a group of 4 (two "20 somthing" couples) from Ohio. After I left them at the shelter I saw a group of 3 guys at Chatt. Gap (suspicious characters at best), and one father-son pair just north of Chatt Gap. On Sunday I saw one of the FL couples again at Blue Mtn shelter. Then at Unicoi I saw dozens of folks going up both sides. I had to pull off on Sunday (family needs) so I dropped my pack at Unicoi and slacked it to Indian Grave and back. All in all, I crossed paths with maybe 50 people. So, by AT standards, it was a mad house.

You?