PDA

View Full Version : Henry Shires sublite vs rainbow

ATbound
08-17-2009, 10:37
I'll be hiking the PCT this coming season and I can't decide between the sublite or the rainbow. The sublite is just over a pound, the rainbow just over two. The sublite uses trekking poles and stakes and is not free standing. The rainbow uses the same, stakes not mandatory, and is free standing. I guess I'm just wondering if the extra pound is worth it to have a free standing tent, not having to deal with rocky dirt when pitching my shelter after a long day. On the other hand, the sublite would be one less pound I have to carry. What are your thoughts/preferences?

Pacific Tortuga
08-17-2009, 11:01
I never used the free style set up on my Rainbow. I did like the ventalation and set it up as to have minimum condensation on the celling.
I gained a healthy liking and relationship with the Rainbow.
hshires = class act, too.

Jayboflavin04
08-17-2009, 11:37
I am starting to love my Cloudburst 2 more and more. I am have slept at 20 with light snow and through a 4 1/2 hour down poor. Totally dry each time and no ground cloth. Yes you do get slight misting during a down pour but it nothing to worry bout.

slowandlow
08-17-2009, 12:06
I guess I'm just wondering if the extra pound is worth it to have a free standing tent, not having to deal with rocky dirt when pitching my shelter after a long day. On the other hand, the sublite would be one less pound I have to carry. What are your thoughts/preferences?

It takes longer to set up the Rainbow in freestanding mode than it does to just use the stakes, even taking rocky ground into consideration. And you still have to use stakes for the vestibule. I own the Double Rainbow and the only time I used it in freestanding mode was on wooden tent platforms.

skinewmexico
08-17-2009, 13:39
Only time I've used the free-standing mode on my DR is when I seam sealed it.

Quoddy
08-17-2009, 16:12
I've owned and used both the Rainbow and the Sublite Sil, as well as the Contrail. I personally was not too enthusiastic about the Rainbow after using the Contrail. The extra weight and slightly larger packed size wasn't justified by any real benefits. On the trail I never once used the free standing feature of the Rainbow as I thought I might. The Sublite Sil is what I would call between the Contrail and the Rainbow, only with a definite advantage in stability. Based on just the two choices, I'd opt for the Sublight Sil.

hshires
08-17-2009, 17:14
ATBound,

The Sublite probably isn't your best choice for a thruhike. Not because it wont do the job on shorter hikes but because thruhikes are tough on shelters and the Sublite fabric doesn't have quite the tear strength of silnylon. You will likely put some holes/small tears in it over a few months and while they easily patched--we include glue and scrap fabric--that's probably not something you want to worry about. The fabric breathes really well and reflects lots of heat and light but it will take longer to dry once wet and may leak on you a bit in a heavy, long duration rain. All in all, I think the slightly heavier Contrail (or any of other silnylon shelters) is a better choice for the rigors of a PCT thruhike.

-H

brooklynkayak
08-17-2009, 17:40
I am usually not a fan of freestanding shelters as I'd never use the freestanding feature and they are generally heavier because of it(maybe not with a Henry Shires design).

I have seen too many freestanding tents blow away, even with gear inside.
Once at least ten tents blew into a river, leaving only the two tents that were staked down(mine being one). I've had friends that had tents blow down a mountainside.

I always stake my shelters, even freestanding ones.
I learned this years ago when I almost lost my own tent on what was perfectly a calm day that turned windy in a very short time.

Pacific Tortuga
08-17-2009, 17:44
ATBound,

The Sublite probably isn't your best choice for a thruhike. Not because it wont do the job on shorter hikes but because thruhikes are tough on shelters and the Sublite fabric doesn't have quite the tear strength of silnylon. You will likely put some holes/small tears in it over a few months and while they easily patched--we include glue and scrap fabric--that's probably not something you want to worry about. The fabric breathes really well and reflects lots of heat and light but it will take longer to dry once wet and may leak on you a bit in a heavy, long duration rain. All in all, I think the slightly heavier Contrail (or any of other silnylon shelters) is a better choice for the rigors of a PCT thruhike.

-H

This is another reason I'm deep in like with WB's. Owners of cottage industries reply to our posts from time to time. :cool:

Jonnycat
08-17-2009, 17:47
As for the freestanding issue, I built a variation on the tarptent Henry generously gives the plans for on his website. It is not freestanding, and is a basic hiking pole + rear pole + six stakes design (with a vestibule and enlarged rear beak).

After hiking for a few days I have it down to where it is pretty much as easy to set up as my old SD Clip-Lite.

It might seem kind of complicated, but once you do it a dozen times it's pretty much a five to ten minute activity as the first thing to do when you roll into camp.

To be honest, it's more of a hassle for me to go to the lake/stream and pump a couple of liters of water than it is to put up the tarptent!

hshires = class act, too.

Ditto on that. :)

ATbound
08-17-2009, 19:30
Thank you so much for the responses everyone! It's exactly what I was looking for. I think I've pretty much decided on the sublite sil shelter. And HShires- thank you so so much for the info you provided about the shelters you make, what great customer service!

skinewmexico
08-17-2009, 20:04
And HShires- thank you so so much for the info you provided about the shelters you make, what great customer service!

Oh, you ain't seen the half of it. Great doesn't do it justice.