PDA

View Full Version : Parking at or near Carver's Gap

sltybreeze
08-17-2009, 12:14
Myself and 3 other friends are planning a hike from Carver's Gap to 19E. I have an AT Conservancy Trail Map, it indicates there is parking there at Carver's Gap. Can anyone give any advice the parking there? Or where to park near there?

chelko
08-17-2009, 13:23
Large parking lot at the gap. Very popular area for day hikers as well. You should have no problems with a car there.

sltybreeze
08-17-2009, 13:46
Thanks much!!!

Kerosene
08-17-2009, 13:51
Recommend you do not park at 19E however, due to a history of vandalized cars there. A third-of-a-mile north of the AT crossing of 19E is Mountain Harbour B&B, where you could park for a small fee. They can also provide a shuttle back to Carvers Gap, but it's a pretty good charge.

sltybreeze
08-17-2009, 15:29
Thank you very much!!

10-K
08-17-2009, 15:52
Yeah, and if memory serves it'd be an easier hike nobo...

dmax
08-17-2009, 16:03
I parked at mtn harbor about two months ago. We got a shuttle to Carvers Gap and spent the night at Roan High Knob shelter. The next day we hiked south to Doll Flats. The next day we hiked back to Mtn Harbor to our vehicle. The shuttle and two nights parking was $20. It seemed like a fair price to me. I will also use his service again for shuttles up to Carvers Gap.

dmax
08-17-2009, 16:04
If I were to park at Carvers Gap for overnite, I would park by the Hwy on the gravel parking area.

Marta
08-18-2009, 06:36
We used Mountain Harbor B&B for a shuttle a couple of months ago, too. The shuttle from there to Hughes Gap is actually cheaper than to Carvers Gap.

OldStormcrow
08-19-2009, 11:18
I've never had any problem at all at Carver's Gap. It's heavily traveled, but also easily and frequently patroled by law enforcement. Just don't do anything stupid like some folks I know did. They left their skis and daypacks in the car after a fun day in the snow, then went a short way up the trail to camp ovenight. Guess what happened to their car windows and gear? Also, if you leave a cooler in your car, leave it empty and with the lid wide open. I had a friend that got his window kicked in one night at a trail head and his cooler stolen.....all for the one measly Milwaukee's Best left in it!