PDA

View Full Version : Trail Legs

Ladytrekker
08-17-2009, 12:20
Working hard on trying to get my trail legs going. But this Florida heat is killing me. I guess I need to just take baby steps.

Walked 6 miles on Thursday without a pack then worked out on Friday, Kayaked 11 miles in open water with a sit on top pedal drive to Cumberland Island and then hiked 3 miles Sunday at Guana with a pack. The humidity, bugs, and heat are taking its toll.

I keep reading on here just keep walking thats the best way to get into trail shape. I have a 40 mile hike in Florida in October with 4 days to do it in which should be plenty of time, but I am whining about the heat. I could not wait for summer now I can't wait for fall. I am going to walk somewhere every weekend if it kills me and I hate walking around the neighborhood I like being in the woods

I guess I just need moral support and get ideas. (yes sure a vented whine here) but most of my friends think I have lost my mind.

Summit
08-17-2009, 12:39
Consistency and persistence in conditioning will pay off when you get to the start of any long hike. Keep up what you're doing. I've lived in Florida 30 of my 59 years, so I know what you're battling.

gravy4601
08-17-2009, 13:21
florida is fairly flat but i would suggest trying to find some steps somewhere or a step machine to try out it will help build on the musles that you realy arent straining by walking on flat ground

Montana AT05
08-17-2009, 13:28
There is no substitute for hiking and walking. Also, this toughens your feet. If time and weather are a factor, and if you want to start your hike strong instead of gradually working into it, I suggest the following:

Weight Lifting:

1. Focus on legs (quads, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors). I place a big emphasis on the hip flexors.

2. Don't forget the feet! Fascia band work--scrunch a towel with your feet as you sit....curl the toes and feet. The fascia band runs from your heel to the balls of your toes and takes a beating on long hikes--especially if you carry a heavy load. Ankles: As you sit at your desk, draw the alphabet with your feet--your ankles do the work.

3. Core: This your center--your stomach, sides and lower back for the most part. A strong core = stabilization, balance, less danger of injury. Do planks (sort of like a push up where you don't push up...you just hold yourself up balanced on your toes and lower arms). Do leg raises. Do pull-ups with legs stretched out in front of you and locked in place during the motion (the last is a more advanced exercise).

4. Shoulders: Many newer backpacks (especially lightweight ones) rely more on shoulders to carry weight than the waist. Work your shoulders up for that load. Don't just rely on one shoulder exercise--front back sides need attention.

Stretching:

Here is where I preach but never practice (to my perpetual dismay). Start stretching now! Get limber.

Indoor aerobics:

I run on a treadmill and walk on a stairmaster. I prefer the stairmasters that are actual stairs, like mini elevators. Of course, if I have the time to use these machines...I SHOULD be outside running or walking...but I use these machines after a weight lifting session. They are right there...taunting me. And sometimes there are cute girls in the area...

Many folks do nothing before a long hike and do just fine. I did that once. I had to struggle in the first 400 miles---bum knee due to being of shape, major blisters...not fun. But I ended very strong.

Long story short--get to the gym, work out when you can (rest days between muscle group workouts). Hike, walk, bike, etc as possible. Lighten your backpack load and expect to start your long hike with low mileage days.

Having a strong body to start (as opposed to the trail-will-whip-me-into-shape concept) will lessen chance of injury, will make your early days more enjoyable, and it will give you a good foundation. But, eh, like I said, it's possible to do nothing.

I just find that working out makes me happier and less stressed in general--so it's already a benefit whether I am planning a thru-hike or not.

Ladytrekker
08-17-2009, 14:01
Thanks for the feedback I am going to use this advice. I know that if my body is stronger the less likely for injury. Thanks for the gym advice it is hard to determine what your needs are sometimes.

Blissful
08-17-2009, 14:18
Being a little older :) it's good to get your system in shape by walking. Especially to build up your cardiovascular system. And do some stretches to loosen up your leg muscles that can affect your knees and your calves.

Red Hat
08-17-2009, 16:59
But always remember that walking 10-15 miles in Florida is not at all like walking 10-15 miles on the AT! I do 3 mph in flat Texas but only 1-2 mph on the trail.

Six-Six
08-17-2009, 17:19
If you don't have access to a trail with hills, take your pack (loaded to your half your hiking weight) to the gym and get on the stairmast every other day. Next week increase the weight to three quarters hiking weight, third week, full hiking weight. You will quickly find out the muscles you haven't been working on your flat hikes. Fourth week, increase the time and go from there......

Wilson
08-17-2009, 20:45
If I lived in a beach town like you, I know where I,d be walking...and it would'nt be in a gym.

Jonnycat
08-17-2009, 20:48
Tall buildings have stairs that might not be too hot. Take it slow, and go up and down for awhile.

Tinker
08-17-2009, 20:49
Stairs,
Skyscraper.
Air conditioning :).

hikingshoes
08-17-2009, 20:56
Hang in there fljj ,i understand how you fill i use to run 3-4miles a day.Now that i retired from the Amry Res.2yrs ago i havent PT(2yrs)just riding my H-D anf that was it.so now that im wanting to get back into hiking/backpack more it is very hard to get back in shape.onces again hang in there.Charlesquote=fljj48;880464]Working hard on trying to get my trail legs going. But this Florida heat is killing me. I guess I need to just take baby steps.

Walked 6 miles on Thursday without a pack then worked out on Friday, Kayaked 11 miles in open water with a sit on top pedal drive to Cumberland Island and then hiked 3 miles Sunday at Guana with a pack. The humidity, bugs, and heat are taking its toll.

I keep reading on here just keep walking thats the best way to get into trail shape. I have a 40 mile hike in Florida in October with 4 days to do it in which should be plenty of time, but I am whining about the heat. I could not wait for summer now I can't wait for fall. I am going to walk somewhere every weekend if it kills me and I hate walking around the neighborhood I like being in the woods

I guess I just need moral support and get ideas. (yes sure a vented whine here) but most of my friends think I have lost my mind.[/quote]

toegem
08-18-2009, 06:23
For me to prep for hiking in Florida I head to the beach to walk in the soft sand. If memory serves you may have to head a little south because of the hard packed sand in your area or if traveling is not feasible walk in the wash where the sand is the softest. When I get over heated I'm able can to take a plunge in the ocean to cool off.

Jayboflavin04
08-18-2009, 07:37
You can also ride your bike to work...if you live close enough.

Ladytrekker
08-18-2009, 07:59
Thanks for all the advice I am taking it all in. I do walk on the beach alot, which I know helps. I have had two set backs this year in January I cracked my tailbone and then in April I fell and did a major hamstring injury and both of those injuries along with a desk job has pushed me back alot. However, I am determined to not let it stop me and I have been kayaking and up walking on that leg way before it was expected, now I am trying to get my body healthy again and I want to be in the woods hiking and not reclining at home. I appreciate all the feedback and I know that Florida is not the best place to prepare for the AT but its a start. Thanks again.

Homer&Marje
08-18-2009, 08:16
If you own a nintendo Wii I suggest the Wii Fit. I suggest it because you can do it at home and it really helps you gain your center of balance. You wouldn't think it was that important but even shifting weight to one side as a habit can be torture on your bones, joints and muscles

All sorts of strength/yoga excercises that would help you recover from your injuries...a good mix of low impact and medium impact exercises will help you recover from those injuries...lot's of stretching required for both of those.

I never cracked my tailbone but I bruised it very badly in a football game once. Took 6 months before I could run properly again and I had lower back pain for years afterward.

Hoop Time
08-18-2009, 08:39
Anything you do to improve your strength, flexibility and conditioning will help. But don't let anybody fool ya. Trail miles, even without a pack, are far different than town walk miles, treadmill miles or even stairmaster miles. No matter how good of shape you are in at the start, it still will be an adjustment for your body to adapt to trail conditions.

toegem
08-18-2009, 08:43
If you ultimate goal is to get ready for the AT, I would be inclined to also suggest that you may want to go to a local High School and walk the bleachers, doing those for 30 mins. will get a good burn going for a flatlander. Another good exercise which does not require any equipment are lunges which will work the glutes and quads these are the major muscles that are used for climbing hills.

fredmugs
08-18-2009, 11:14
When I first started section hiking I was always very sore after the first day. Since I have been training on an exercise bike that is never an issue. I know I'm a little more hardcore than most but where anything over 12 miles on Day 1 used to kill me I can now start with a 25 mile day with no problems at all. Ditching the hiking boots has helped too.

I don't do any leg weights because it takes me too long to recover. If you ride a bike make sure you use enough resistance that you can feel it in your thighs, hamstrings, and glutes. On days you don't ride then you can walk.

Also - since I've been training on a bike my chronic knee pain has gone away. I used to hike with knee braces and took a lot of chondroitin, etc. Now I just take ibuprofen and aspirin more as a precautionary measure.

Hoop Time
08-18-2009, 21:58
When I first started section hiking I was always very sore after the first day. Since I have been training on an exercise bike that is never an issue. I know I'm a little more hardcore than most but where anything over 12 miles on Day 1 used to kill me I can now start with a 25 mile day with no problems at all. Ditching the hiking boots has helped too.

I don't do any leg weights because it takes me too long to recover. If you ride a bike make sure you use enough resistance that you can feel it in your thighs, hamstrings, and glutes. On days you don't ride then you can walk.

Also - since I've been training on a bike my chronic knee pain has gone away. I used to hike with knee braces and took a lot of chondroitin, etc. Now I just take ibuprofen and aspirin more as a precautionary measure.

I have had similar results with the bike. Gives you a good workout in the time allotted if you keep the revs and resistance up. And I also have noticed a real difference in my knees. I ride it every other day, walk on the alternate days. I think it has really helped.

take-a-knee
08-18-2009, 23:09
Find yourself a gym that has one of these:

http://healthlineinc.com/%28S%28viqqcw55zhxzi3453hp03z45%29%29/default.aspx?act=Catalog.aspx&catalogid=354&description=stairmaster&browse=&MenuGroup=_newNav&desc/Stairmaster+Stepmill+PT7000+%28New+Display%29&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Wear a heart rate monitor and make sure there is someone around to dial 911. You hit one of these hard for 20-30 minutes, two or three times weekly and the trail won't give you a problem. Walking should be your "easy day" workout. Use the "aerobic" profile programmed into the machine, and raise the level as you can tolerate it. I never got over level ten, it goes to twenty. NYFD uses these to assess potential recruits. They have you wear a weighted vest (simulating a fireman's turnout gear) and a heart rate monitor and walk a standard profile on the machine. If the candidate's heartrate goes too high, he fails. You can't fake it by "sucking it up".

If you can't find one of these, just do hard (as fast as possible) 400m and 800m runs, 3 to 5 sets. Do kettlebell swings, lunges. pushups, pullups, all that hard stuff that really makes you suck air, like hiking uphill with a pack does.

saimyoji
08-19-2009, 00:13
Find yourself a gym that has one of these:

http://healthlineinc.com/%28S%28viqqcw55zhxzi3453hp03z45%29%29/default.aspx?act=Catalog.aspx&catalogid=354&description=stairmaster&browse=&MenuGroup=_newNav&desc/Stairmaster+Stepmill+PT7000+%28New+Display%29&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Wear a heart rate monitor and make sure there is someone around to dial 911.

now THATS FUNNY. :D

why not just sign up for crossfit? :-?

Montana AT05
08-19-2009, 01:10
I second what Fredmugs stated about the bike/cycling machines. Seems to be very good for the knees--builds the strength without the impact shock. And someone else noted that no matter what you do pre-hike, the first days are always hard. The pack weight, the tread of the trail (especially the AT) and all days hikes (versus training hikes or gymn work) all add up to make you feel the burn.

But as I said earlier, even if pre-training is frowned upon by some as a way to get prepped, we should all remember that exercise in general is a good thing, despite the statistic that shows 100% of people who exercise, eventually die.

Another thing to consider is diet.

Cut out caffeine. Cut out processed foods, all that bad sugar, all the crap. I know a thruhiker can eventually anything but staying away from sugars (high fructose corn syrup is a big no-no for anyone) and other crap that makes fast foods and gas station staples attractive can really help you health in general. Coke/Pepsi? Ditch it until you are hundreds of miles in, then you will crave it Lindsay Lohan craves coke. Oh dear, I went there. Yes I did.

chiefduffy
08-19-2009, 02:57
I have found that hiking in FLA is doesn't work for me, except in the winter. Great suggestions above about the gym, beach, bikes. I mostly stay in the gym until October, then start hiking the FT and state parks. You get some funny looks walking the stairmaster with a pack, but it works.

- Duffy

PS: if you want some company for part of your FT section, or help with a shuttle, PM me.

Wise Old Owl
08-19-2009, 09:02
If you own a nintendo Wii I suggest the Wii Fit.

SO THATS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN UP TOO? WB & GAMING AT THE SAME TIME!:eek:

Hey Donna,

Switch off the air conditioning open the windows - hot /humidity is a state of mind. Folks coming back from Iraq have no idea what we are complaining about, The temps are higher and and over a period of time you eat less and drink more. After a while its not so bad. Keep on hiking and get a cool hat.

toegem
08-19-2009, 10:24
EDIT:
If you can't find one of these, just do hard (as fast as possible) 400m and 800m runs, 3 to 5 sets. Do kettlebell swings, lunges. pushups, pullups, all that hard stuff that really makes you suck air, like hiking uphill with a pack does.

Now your talkin love my bells! There aren't many people familar with them and their proper use, you have to be careful use corect form or you can get hurt.

Redfish
08-19-2009, 14:07
I'm from Jax myself...for woods hiking try the bike trails at Hanna Park, the trails at Ft Caroline, and the trails at Ft Clinch. I think both have some "elevation" changes. It isn't much elevation change but it is more than street walking or beach walking, and they are in the woods.
I walk the beach barefooted to keep my soles tough.