PDA

View Full Version : What is the earliest reasonable date to start a south to north thru hike?

Acedop Walker
08-17-2009, 14:43
What do you think the earliest "normal" time to start a thru hike is? I want to hike the AT this summer but I also want to go back to school August 31st. I have done some long distance trips before so getting in 20+ mile days isn't a problem, but I would like to start as early as I can so I can stop and smell the roses once in a while.

Thanks!
happy trails
Alex

Jeff
08-17-2009, 14:49
March 1st is a very popular start date, but a growing number of folks begin in February as well.

I would urge you to do some "winter" camping before starting a thru hike that early in the season. Too many people think Georgia is a southern state and therefore has mild winters. But, at mountain elevations a March 1st start will likely result is two or three snow storms while on trail. How mild or severe? It changes every year.

Leave yourself at least six months to complete the entire trail. I have seen many hikers quit in New England because they have run out of time due to commitments.

Best of luck !!!!

bigmac_in
08-17-2009, 14:59
If you truly want to "stop and smell the roses" and enjoy your trip, don't worry about finishing the trail. Start when you want, and stop when it is time to go back.

Pootz
08-17-2009, 15:41
What do you think the earliest "normal" time to start a thru hike is? I want to hike the AT this summer but I also want to go back to school August 31st. I have done some long distance trips before so getting in 20+ mile days isn't a problem, but I would like to start as early as I can so I can stop and smell the roses once in a while.

Thanks!
happy trails
Alex

Your start date depends on how willing you are to hike in cold weather. Most people start in a 5 week window that starts around March 7 and Ends April 15. The link below show adverage temps for the Smoky Mountians. I had 8 degres on April 8th 2007 in the smoky's.

Good luck with your hike

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/public-lands/national-parks/smoky-mountains/smoky-mountain-weather.html

Marta
08-17-2009, 17:08
Here's a Trail Journal from a couple of people who were about your age when they hiked. They also needed to finish in time to start school in the early fall. They started in late Feb.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167578

Acedop Walker
08-17-2009, 18:56
Wow! thanks every body! I am no stranger to winter camping, I grew up hiking the high sierra and have experienced single digit nights in early fall and late spring but thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking late February, ill have to pack a little heavier (warmer cloths and sufficient shelter), but that shouldn't be to big of a problem.

Thanks everyone,
Alex

Marta
08-18-2009, 06:44
You shouldn't have any trouble with an early start. Sometimes people think "Georgia? North Carolina? Must be warm!" Well it CAN be warm, even in the winter. There is no snow pack. But it CAN also be quite cold, and enough snow can fall to slow your rate of travel to half or less of what you're expecting to do. Freezing rain is another affliction of the southeast that can really mess up your plans.

sasquatch2014
08-18-2009, 08:49
If you still live in Whitefish Mt then think May at home. You will get your storms and cold but it won't be forever and when the sun comes out it will melt things off in a bit.

Remember that Maine will always be there but the opportunity to stop and be spontaneous is not always a privilege that all will have. I have a friend hiking this summer and while it does look like he will beat the mountain closing this fall he has also taken his time and smelled the roses. Every time I get a msg from him I can tell he is having the time of his life.

The Solemates
08-18-2009, 12:08
we started 1 feb and had about a month and a half when we got done to move to another city and start grad school. i was glad we started this early for multiple reasons

Rambler
09-22-2009, 17:32
Keep in mind, if you find time constraints hiking north, leap frog. Go to Katahdin and start hiking south!

max patch
09-22-2009, 17:49
I wouldn't start before April 1 in order to have the best conditions at both ends, but, given your time considerations, a start date of March 1 seems best for your circumstances.

Mags
09-22-2009, 18:16
I started early March and finished Aug 1st. I was not in the shape I am now, less experienced and had a much heavier pack. A five month hike is very doable. That will give you about a month before you are off to school. While the south is not cold compared to Montana in winter, you do have a possibility of getting cold rain for the first month or so (in addition to snow). IMO, cold rain (in the low 40s lets say), is worse than snow. However, it is manageable.

Have fun whatever you decide to do!

paintplongo
10-19-2009, 11:58
I'd recommend the middle of march, which gives you plenty of time assuming you'll be diligent in your hiking.

redefined
10-21-2009, 22:23
Can anyone give me an idea on what degree sleeping bag i should bring.
i plan on startin northbound on April 1st. Any Help would be much appreciated

Lone Wolf
10-21-2009, 23:26
Can anyone give me an idea on what degree sleeping bag i should bring.
i plan on startin northbound on April 1st. Any Help would be much appreciated20 degree bag. it's what i take that time of year

ragincajun
11-27-2009, 14:39
one reason im planning on going so early feb 20-22 is to have a winter vacation currently live in new orleans but spent alot of my life up north wass stationed at ft lewis wa in 2nd ranger batt and worked at yellowstone i love the snow but cant ever see it if you live in the deep south i highly recomend it lol its your only chance plus i found at least for me with survival schools ive been to buggsys are far more of a danger and nuisance than cold