PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington July Weather

TJ aka Teej
07-21-2004, 12:19
Observer's Comments:

http://www.mountwashington.org/cam/index.php

01:36 AM Wed Jul 21, 2004 EDT
Hello from the rockpile

During the last 3 hours of the Monday-Tuesday night shift, we enjoyed watching a lightning show that was occurring over the southern reaches of the Kingdom. At the night to day shift change, Tim and I noted that the radar showed small thunderstorms remained over the North Woods. Later, while getting some sleep, I was awaken by the familiar simultaneous bang-crack sound that is only made when lightning strikes nearby-very nearby!

After awakening and wandering to the weather room, Tim confirmed that lightning had definitely hit the summit. Tim stood smiling as I looked at the weather coding sheet for the morning. The observation between 9 and 10 was longer than usual and included thunderstorms, rain showers, 1/4 inch hail, small hail, and snow pellets! Yes, snow in July!
-------------------------------

Kerosene
07-22-2004, 08:28
Wow, sunny, clear, 49 degrees and only a 17 mph wind at the summit on the afternoon of July 21st. Wish I was walking through the Whites today!

Mr. Clean
07-23-2004, 07:02
I love reading some of the weather observations from the observatory. Some of those guys have a real way with words and it makes you feel like you are sitting there with them enjoying the sights.