PDA

View Full Version : skeeters in ma

modiyooch
08-17-2009, 21:15
the mosquitos are horrendous in northern MA, this week. I've been bitten more in the last 36 hours in MA than I have in ME, NH, or VT for the last 26 days. The deet doesn't seem to be working. I literally did large mileage today just to get out and head home. The buzzing in my ear while tenting drove me insane.

Tin Man
08-17-2009, 21:19
LOL. Skeeters are horrible this year with all the rain we have had. That buzzing drove me insane when I was hammocking (with a bug net) at Scout Camp in RI a couple of weeks ago.

Tinker
08-17-2009, 21:19
Now you know the Parade of Fools wasn't lying about last years' Ma. hike. :D
The rain was actually welcomed because it kept the bugs down a bit.

Tin Man
08-17-2009, 21:37
Tinker, just noticed you are from Warwick. I was just at Camp Yawgoog in Rockville. The skeeters were the worst in years!

Tinker
08-17-2009, 21:45
Tinker, just noticed you are from Warwick. I was just at Camp Yawgoog in Rockville. The skeeters were the worst in years!
Coincidentally, another mechanic at the bike shop where I work used to be a staff member at Yawgoog.
Do you have a scout in your family?

Tin Man
08-17-2009, 21:48
Coincidentally, another mechanic at the bike shop where I work used to be a staff member at Yawgoog.
Do you have a scout in your family?

Two. One's Life and the other is Star. I am an assistant scout master.

Homer&Marje
08-18-2009, 07:25
Skeeters did not bother me until I got to Shaker campsite. I did 11 miles to get there and "relax" for the afternoon.

Hindsight would have made me walk slowly and relax on the way, away from the skeeter soldiers. They breath fire smoke and eat deet at that camp site...from the register though it seems it's been a problem there for a while.

neighbor dave
08-18-2009, 09:24
definaltely one of, if not the most skeetery state on the A.T.
they can be 100 times worse out west. multiple days of non-stop walking, talking to yourself, and can't think straight. "jug end" style for days on end:eek:

Blissful
08-18-2009, 09:45
Yes you can get swarms out west. Met my match at Yellowstone several times. And on Prince Edward Island in Canada. :)

Pokey2006
08-18-2009, 10:02
Whenever people down here in the South complain about mosquitoes, I just laugh, being originally from Mass. and all. I can only imagine how awful they must be there right now, after such a rainy spring/summer. And no, DEET won't work on them. Best to wear pants and long sleeves and plan to eat and sleep in a tent.

mudhead
08-18-2009, 11:19
They just appreciate that sweet southern blood. All y'all come on up.

Jeff
08-18-2009, 11:26
Skeeters did not bother me until I got to Shaker campsite. I did 11 miles to get there and "relax" for the afternoon.

Hindsight would have made me walk slowly and relax on the way, away from the skeeter soldiers. They breath fire smoke and eat deet at that camp site...from the register though it seems it's been a problem there for a while.

Skeeters chased me too at Shaker campsite. They ought to put that "skeeter warning" in the Companion.
:rolleyes:

modiyooch
08-18-2009, 22:56
Whenever people down here in the South complain about mosquitoes, I just laugh, being originally from Mass. and all. I can only imagine how awful they must be there right now, after such a rainy spring/summer. And no, DEET won't work on them. Best to wear pants and long sleeves and plan to eat and sleep in a tent. It was 90 degrees; therefore, very difficult for me to wear pants and long sleeves.

modiyooch
08-18-2009, 23:00

The skeeters didn't bother me the week prior in southern Mass. I'm not sure if it was the area, or the fact that it was a week later with the sun.

BitBucket
08-18-2009, 23:05
Was out at Yellowstone in early July...skeeters were the worst I've ever been in and I grew up in south Georgia...

Homer&Marje
08-19-2009, 05:50
The skeeters didn't bother me the week prior in southern Mass. I'm not sure if it was the area, or the fact that it was a week later with the sun.

You started in Tyringham right? Where did you end up? I did the MA border to Goose Pond Road

Shaker Campsite's register was all full of skeeter complaints from April on. No wonder the Shakers left:D

modiyooch
08-19-2009, 07:49
You started in Tyringham right? Where did you end up? I did the MA border to Goose Pond Road

Shaker Campsite's register was all full of skeeter complaints from April on. No wonder the Shakers left:DGreat Barrington to Washington Road on Aug 7-9 and then Washington Road to North Adams on Aug 16-17. I camped with bears, coyotes and mosquitos on Aug 16th so I did 22 miles over Greylock to get out. Sorry I missed ya.