PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Alpine Light Jacket vs Patagonia Down Jacket vs Down Sweater vs ....

Earl Grey
08-17-2009, 23:57
Colder weather is right around the corner and so I am looking at down jackets now. Ive looked at a few of these and they seem really nice but I dont know if one is overkill or if one is not enough. I will be taking a trip to CO this Oct and could be hiking above 12000 feet. I will also use it in the mountains of NC throughout the winter. I guess the real question is how much of a down jacket do I need?

Jayboflavin04
08-18-2009, 09:28
I have a montbell UL down jacket. If I were headed to the rockies I think i would take a look at the Western Mountaineering ones. I got to take a look at them at Mount Rogers Outfitter. As always with WM.....Very nice!

Jayboflavin04
08-18-2009, 09:30
Oh I like my montbell jacket.....runs small though!

Spokes
08-18-2009, 09:56
Definitely the Montbell. I picked one up this year at Neels Gap and carried it all the way to Katahdin! It was so darn light and comfortable. Packs well too. Just be sure to check the sizing before you buy.

bigcranky
08-18-2009, 11:20
I have the Patagonia hooded down pullover. Nice piece, but not warm enough for winter in NC. For that I have an older Sierra Designs down jacket that has a lot more down.

The Alpine Light jacket is also nice, I would recommend the hooded version. Whether it is enough for the Rockies or NC winters is debatable, and depends on your comfort level as well as the actual weather.

humunuku
08-19-2009, 12:48
I have a paty down sweater and a WM flash jacket with a hood. I like the WM much better (and the hood makes it way warmer). when its 20 outside, sitting at camp, i get cold either jacket....it will be that cold in NC in the winter.

they are great shoulder season jackets